Author Topic: Convert any SKS to take AK mags  (Read 9930 times)

Mr Comrade

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
Convert any SKS to take AK mags
« on: February 29, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »
So I picked up this little how to book at my gun shop on how to make your SKS take AK-47 mags. Think its worth it? If I were to do this i'd pick up a chinese or yugo and modify it. Anyone else do this before?
It's an SKS, it'll work long after you don't.

WDfrmTN

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ah....what the heck were we talking about?
Re: Convert any SKS to take AK mags
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
I'm not sure of the book, but I have a Yugo receiver I'm seriously thinking about converting.
"Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

"Seek to understand before you seek to be understood."

"Hew to the line and let the chips fall where they may."

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
I picked up one of those when I first got into SKSs. Have no idea what I ever did with it though.

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:07:55 PM »
There are many threads on the subject.  If you have the skills and time it can be done.  You could also just buy an M or D.

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

ozarkrecluse

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:27:32 PM »
Or save yourself a lot of time, money, and effort and just buy an AK.  Again, why or why does anyone buy an SKS and try to turn it into an AK. 

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
Or save yourself a lot of time, money, and effort and just buy an AK.  Again, why or why does anyone buy an SKS and try to turn it into an AK.
    This is the short answer,  especially these days when the price is so close.  But it can be done,  people have done it,  not rocket surgery,  I say go for it.   Midwest did them back in the day. 
     Having a D, M, or Sporter to go by would be the best. 

Catmandoo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Gun totin', beer drinkin' flag waving, God fearin'
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
    This is the short answer,  especially these days when the price is so close.  But it can be done,  people have done it,  not rocket surgery,  I say go for it.   Midwest did them back in the day. 

Why did the chicken cross the road ? Because he wanted to see if he could do it, the sense of accomplishment is rewarding in itself as well as having a custom rifle. I have been known to work a long time and spend more money than I should have to get a desired result.
The hardest part about the zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited !

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 09:42:06 PM »

Why did the chicken cross the road ? Because he wanted to see if he could do it, the sense of accomplishment is rewarding in itself as well as having a custom rifle. I have been known to work a long time and spend more money than I should have to get a desired result.

Yeah, a certain Mosin Nagant in a Tapco stock with a home made scope mount comes to mind :lol: :lol:

178thUSARSgt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
  • Have gun will travel.
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 10:01:54 PM »
I think it would be worth it for the simple fact of being able to throw my tapco mags in the trash and use surplus AK mags making them interchangeable with my AKs.  It's one thing to have detachable magazines and another being able to readily transport and employ them.

I would love to see this how to guide.

Catmandoo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Gun totin', beer drinkin' flag waving, God fearin'
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:32 PM »

Yeah, a certain Mosin Nagant in a Tapco stock with a home made scope mount comes to mind :lol: :lol:

Like I keep tellin the boss at work " I may not be good but I am slow " 
The hardest part about the zombie apocalypse will be pretending I'm not excited !

reks

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:37 PM »

This...

If you want hi cap, buy an ak.  Leave your sks alone.

blua_hammer

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »
the book is really lame, it has terrible pics & diagrams with no real measurements, I have had it for years, you'd be better off borrowing an M or D & copy them... :?
I've been a collector since 1986, My 1st center-fire rifle was my sks navy arms paratrooper in 1988.
I'm a certified gunsmith.
 N.A Paratrooper, N.A Farmers Friend uses AK mags, N.A Type 84,? Type 56 spiker, Tula, Alban, Romy, Yugo 59/66. Need DDR, N.Kore

tnxdshooter

• Deceitful Seller
  • SKS Sniper
  • USER IS BANNED
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 11:20:18 PM »

This...

If you want hi cap, buy an ak.  Leave your sks alone.

It has been my experience over the years that ak's are not as accurate as sks's.

coondawg47

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:38:59 PM »
If I had the time and tools, I would love to convert one.  If you could get really good at the conversion and convert 1 or 2 a day, you could make some serious money. I have an M and it is much more useful to me than a standard SKS.  Don't listen to the purists, the same type type of people hate on my Baja bug because I drive a "ruined" classic beatle.  My "ruined" Baja out performs 4wd trucks, jeeps  and RZRs off road.  If you buy one its your gun, you pay for it, do what you want with your property! 

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »
You MUST machine the mag well AND weld a front latching spot for the mag, do some work to the trigger assembly and change the mag release. All just so you can use an 8.00 mag? Once done, it can not be undone. If you must have an SKS that takes those mags, then just get the D, M or Sporter or an AK as mentioned above. The work is already done for you professionally and will be cheaper in the long run. Yes, I fully understand the wanting to do it yourself. It's kinda like doing 3,000 worth of body work on a Mustang to make it look like a Camaro, so you use the Camaro rims. Just go get the Camaro with the rims already installed.

Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com