Author Topic: Tapco mags kept loaded  (Read 4187 times)

M@D H@TTER

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Have you been to the range today?
Tapco mags kept loaded
« on: March 18, 2012, 06:04:36 PM »
I just wanted to give my two cents here, as I have been keeping my tapco mags loaded for some time now and I have a few experiences I'd like to share.  I may update with pictures later if I get around to that  :lol: but for now here's what I know.

1. Keeping your Tapco mags loaded will stress them to the point that they will no longer fit into your rifle without what I consider "excessive force".

2. If kept loaded at full capacity you will loose some rounds off the top as the mag stretches over time (I have found about half a dozen rounds loose in the case in which I keep three loaded mags).  Actually, I had a few that were downloaded a round or two and they still managed to lose bullets into the bag eventually.

3. After you manage to get the flexed mags seated into the mag well, they still function (which is good)

Tapco, I submit that your mags while pretty darn good, could still use some work.  I continue to use them, but am now hesitant to leave them loaded (which I'd really like to be able to do).  Perhaps a dust cover (similar to the magpul design) that relieves the pressure off of the feed lips for longer storage capabilities or an extra reinforced mag body of some kind.  Until this is resloved however, I am replacing my go to weapon with something else.

Thanks Bill for your time and dedication in keeping our weapon choice ripe with options   8)

UPdownLoAD

• SKS Marksman
Re: Tapco mags kept loaded
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:41 AM »
I have had some mags loaded for 3+ years and just checked. No issues that you described on mine- 2 different calibers and 2 guns each caliber. Fit great, no loose rounds as you described.

Are you keeping in a dry place? Frequent movement of the mags? Color? Let's compare!

Striker

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:11:35 PM »
I had 5 SKS 20 rounders loaded up since October (last SKS shoot) until weekend before last, I know that's not a long time (5 months or so), they all worked just fine.
If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my children may know peace. - Thomas Paine

99dodge318

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:28:42 PM »
Wow I guess Ill go and unload my tapco mags, and just keep the ammo on stripper clips

M@D H@TTER

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Have you been to the range today?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
I should mention that these mags have been loaded like this for several years.  They have been in and out of a trunk, unloaded maybe 4-5 times in those several years (roughly three I believe) and reloaded.  Mostly sitting in the house until I drive somewhere, and then placed in the trunk until I return home.  These mags have been through some cold weather, some wet weather, some warm weather, and have been moved around a fair bit. 

I have checked them every so often and over the years have noticed them becoming less and less able to hold the last few rounds in the mag (the top round will be loaded and the one under it will become loose and fall out if you are not careful).  Whenever they have lost a round or two I have replaced it, and occasionally rotated the mags (I have 5-6 mags that have been rotated like this) when one or the other is visibly stretched at the feed lips.  While I did not take the remaining 2-3 mags with me to the range this past visit, all of the mags I had with me at the time had this issue.

I also maintain that these mags still fired and functioned properly once seated in the mag well.  They were just very difficult to seat (even hitting them with the palm of a hand didn't do it all the time) and they had to be strong armed into seating.  I didn't have a lot of spare ammunition with me at the time so only two mags were reloaded after the initial firing of the rounds and were not reshot.

I think keeping the ammo nearby and loading the mags when they were near to being needed would be the best option for them.  I do not, based on my experience, believe that keeping Tapco mags loaded and with the rifle would be the best way to store ammunition until the mags have been reinforced in some way or have been otherwise corrected.

camoman

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:33:30 PM »
I've had this same very problem...except my mags were kept in a climate controlled closet....and the feed lips were not stretched..they were cracked. The bad ones were all replaced...but now kept un-loaded.

UPdownLoAD

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »
Pics?

Totenkopf

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:26:53 PM »
I 2nd pics as I have a few mags I keep loaded and would suck to find the feed lips cracked.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
When I had a bunch of Tapco mags I always kept them loaded with 16 rnds. % mags at 16 rounds each with 4 rounds in each to complete the loading = 1 box of ammo. Seemed to relieve the stress from the spring tension enough I have had any issues. Ended up going back to stripper clips anyway for the most part. Still have 2 SKSs with detachable mags but 1 only has 1 10rnd mag and the other 2 Tapcos.

Nomad_91

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 04:43:45 AM »
If you leave one loaded and in the rifle the bolt should relieve the tension from the feed lips.
-M59/66 A1
-IWI BE II .40 S&W

Garycw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Tapco mags kept loaded
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »
I haven't had that problem yet, but I usually don't load 762x39 mags to full cap. I do see how a fullyloaded plastic mag could have problems like that though. The pistol mags I do though. I've heard it's not good to keep fully loaded all the time because a potential of weakening the springs, but I've had neither problem with various types & calipers of mags. I've had a .22 mag loaded fully  for 15 yrs  and it works fine
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:40:50 PM by Garycw »

bearfoot_25

• SKS Marksman
  • SKS Addict !!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 07:22:11 PM »
Binder clips could be used to keep stress off of the Mags. Just determine the correct size.

Nomad_91

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 02:33:17 AM »
Binder clips could be used to keep stress off of the Mags. Just determine the correct size.

Are you being sarcastic? can you show how they could be used as such?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:07:54 AM by Nomad_91 »
-M59/66 A1
-IWI BE II .40 S&W

bearfoot_25

• SKS Marksman
  • SKS Addict !!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 06:52:58 PM »

Are you being sarcastic? can you show how they could be used as such?

No not being sarcastic at all, when I get my phone fixed I can show you pics. Its pretty simple really. Keeping the mags loaded puts outward pressure on the feed lips, the binder clips can be placed on the end to push the feed lips back in to place allowing for storing the mags loaded. It would take less than a second to remove the clip, and they are cheap enough to not worry much about losing them.

Nomad_91

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
I hear you, I thought about it a little after posting.
-M59/66 A1
-IWI BE II .40 S&W