Author Topic: Problem with SKS and Tapco magazine.  (Read 5345 times)

JonHohlf

• SKS Newbie
Problem with SKS and Tapco magazine.
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:58:16 PM »
Hello,

I am new here to the board and have a problem with my Chinese SKS with Tapco magazine. The rifle will not load the round from the left side of the magazine. they go forward and run into the area below the chamber and jam. It also had this problem with my 30 round steele magazine, but I was able to make that work by adjusting the feed lips a little, but I can't do that on the Tapco since it is plastic.

Can anybody on here help me figure out this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
Re: Problem with SKS and Tapco magazine.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
Remove the stock and replace the trigger assembly. Try and load a round. If it cycles, the stocks mag well is tight and pinching the feed lips a bit. Open up the mag well on the stock so you can slide a piece of paper on each side. Try again and let us know.

Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

JonHohlf

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:09:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply Marcus,

I do not believe that is the problem, I was trying it without the stock on yesterday and it wasn't working correctly. I did try to stick a piece of paper past the magazine as you mentioned and it has plenty of room between the magazine and the stock, the piece of paper is completely loose on both sides of the magazine with lots of extra room for additional paper layers. I gonna try to attach a couple of picture I took of a jammed cartridge to show just how the cartridge stops against the metal below the chamber. It is almost like there should be more of a ramp to direct the front of the shell up and into the chamber.

Jon

Remove the stock and replace the trigger assembly. Try and load a round. If it cycles, the stocks mag well is tight and pinching the feed lips a bit. Open up the mag well on the stock so you can slide a piece of paper on each side. Try again and let us know.

Marcus

wiccaboa

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The REAL evil black gun
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »
The ammo looks like hollow points. If so, they are notorious for not feeding. Use the search function here for the 8 to 4 feed ramp mod. I did mine and it feeds ANYTHING now. Even my linotype reloads.
I wander out where you can't see, inside my shell, I wait and bleed.

JonHohlf

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:39:02 PM »
Yes, they are hollow points. I did try some FMJ and they do go in, but not without damaging the tip of the projectile (I am assuming that will not be good for accuracy)

Do you have a link to the 8 to 4 feed ramp mod? And any pictures of what a completed mod looks like? I just don't want to try to do a mod and then end up with a dangerous weapon.

Jon

The ammo looks like hollow points. If so, they are notorious for not feeding. Use the search function here for the 8 to 4 feed ramp mod. I did mine and it feeds ANYTHING now. Even my linotype reloads.

wiccaboa

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • The REAL evil black gun
    • facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
I wander out where you can't see, inside my shell, I wait and bleed.

Rizzypac

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:52:57 PM »
I had the same issue with my norinco and both my tapco 20rd mags,I just took it out and let the bolt carrier slam foward on its own and not had any issues since.I took it to the range and shot 300 plus rds with out any more problems

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 10:33:35 PM »
Lock the bolt back and insert a empty mag. Do the feed lips touch the receiver or is there a slight gap? The gap means the feed lips are to low. Push up on the mag and see if it moves up a pinch and touches the receiver. To see if that will fix your feeding, load a mag, insert it, set the mag on something so there is upward pressure and rack the slide. Let it slam, don't ease it forward. If it feeds then you know the mag is sitting to low unless the pressure is there.

You can do the 4-8 ramp mod or use my adapter and go duck-bill-less. We changed the approach angle of the bullets when we developed it. The tips sit higher in the chamber.

Marcus

There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

JonHohlf

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 11:17:54 PM »
Marcus

There is no gap between the feed lips and the receiver. I am assuming I will either need to do the 4-8 ramp mod or go with your duck-bill-less approach. I almost would rather go with the 4-8 mod because I also have 4 brothers that have numerous SKS's and would like to keep them so they all take the same magazines if possible. Only issue is I am not 100% sure on how to do that as all i have is a description on how to do it, I would like to see some pictures on how it is done to make sure I get it right, don't want to end up with a piece of junk when I am done.

Thanks

Jon

Lock the bolt back and insert a empty mag. Do the feed lips touch the receiver or is there a slight gap? The gap means the feed lips are to low. Push up on the mag and see if it moves up a pinch and touches the receiver. To see if that will fix your feeding, load a mag, insert it, set the mag on something so there is upward pressure and rack the slide. Let it slam, don't ease it forward. If it feeds then you know the mag is sitting to low unless the pressure is there.

You can do the 4-8 ramp mod or use my adapter and go duck-bill-less. We changed the approach angle of the bullets when we developed it. The tips sit higher in the chamber.

Marcus

WDfrmTN

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ah....what the heck were we talking about?
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 11:38:33 PM »
Here is one thread on fixing TAPCO feed lips: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=90166.msg1086175#msg1086175

Here is one with pics of the feed ramp mod: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=53036.0

"Life's tough...it's even tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne

"Seek to understand before you seek to be understood."

"Hew to the line and let the chips fall where they may."

JonHohlf

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 07:59:47 AM »
OK, looks pretty easy to do a 8-4 feed ramp Mod, maybe I will try that one day this week.

Jon

klwdesigns

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »
I did both mods today.
Before working on the feed ramp you can see where the copper marks were hitting.

After working the area with a Dremel.

I believe it's because the magazine is not seating far enough. In this pic you can see the gap from the magazine feed lips to the receiver.

I also dremeled the inside of the Tapco 20 round magazine feed lips.

I did show the problem to a gunsmith today after the rifle FTF (but before doing this work in the pictures or on the magazines). He said that the back of the magazine has the gap, but at the front (the pivot point) there is no gap so he would dremel the feed ramp and charge me $50. I didn't want to wait a month so I did it myself.
I cycled a magazine of FMJs through and they all fed. Then I cycled 5 hollow points and they all fed. But then I saw the tips on the Hps,, they were all dented,,,,,, ****. 
I figure I can dremel the feed ramp some or,,,,,,,????  Anybody have any other suggestions?
Criminals prefer unarmed victims

celt1314

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
Stick with the original?
Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will loose both, and deserve neither." --Benjamin Franklin