Author Topic: Best SKS Optics  (Read 7465 times)

Outdoorsman27

• SKS Newbie
  • Semper Fidelis
Best SKS Optics
« on: April 06, 2012, 10:53:44 PM »
I'm trying to figure out the best optics for a modified sks. I am NOT...repeat NOT interested in a scope, I know better. I've been considering red dots, holographics etc. Just trying to find what will keep my accuracy out to 400 yards but not kill my short game.
A Man Without A Gun Is A Martyr, A Man With A Gun Is A Patriot

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Best SKS Optics
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:37:10 PM »
Howdy and welcome, ODM27!!
If you want to keep your accuracy out to 400 yds.---- well I'll assume that you're shooting at targets that are at least big enough to see.  And of course, you're dealing with SKS accuracy, not a rifle that might be more appropriate for long range shooting.  Nothing wrong with that, just need to keep perspective. 

Many of us here have done the scope thing with as good of success as is possible, and that would be my personal choice for an already modified SKS. 

For long range targets without magnifying optics, I've always thought it would be great to find an aperture type front sight insert to use in conjunction with a rear peep sight.  I'm talking a front sight insert with a hole in it so your target isn't obscured.  And no, I've never seen one. :cry: 

I'm very happy with my scoped version, but I would like to find a higher quality compact scope to use with it.  jd
No man is born so stupid or worthless that he has nothing to teach me.

On my worst day, I may find someone whose day I can improve.

wolfgang2000

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:49:26 PM »
I have to agree with JD.  Without magnification I don't see how you are going to help anything past 200 yards.  Even the expensive Dot sight use "magnifiers" to help at range.

You may want to look at some of the 1x4 scopes like the Millett.  It has a a "dot in a donut" reticule, that can be used with or with batteries. 

As much as I like the 7.62x39 round, you just can't make it into something that it's not.  It's a intermediate cartridge, designed for intermediate range.  Yes you can hit stuff at that range, the the terminal ballistics will come up short.  If you need to consistently hit something at 400 yards, you might think about the 308 or the 7.62x54R. 
“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.”  Evan Marshall

shimpi

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:01:55 PM »
Saw this scope from NCStar...the most ridiculous dual scope setup I have ever seen. One optic for long range over 75 yards, with a reflex sight on top for targets below 75 yards. I don't see how the reflex sight can ever hope to retain zero after being knocked around some.

I believe there is a better alternative out there. As I understand it, it is one that is gaining some popularity in the AR community. With a tri-rail mount, and one 45 degree offset rail attachment, mounting the optic scope at its regular 12 o'clock position, while the reflex sight will be mounted to the right at 45 degrees, or 2 o'clock position (for right hand shooters). This way, for targets that are close, twist the rifle counter-clock wise to use the reflex sight.

Here's an article about it. "so easy, a kid can do it".

http://www.juniorshooters.net/2009/09/24/warne-scope-mounts-new-red-dot-offset-mount/

The benefit is both scope and reflex sight will maintain zero because both have their own separate mount.

I think the same is possible for the SKS.

shimpi

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
Here's a video promoting this concept as a "back-up secondary sight transition when the primary fails", which is a BS way of saying "two sights on one rifle".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovC2G8Z9J5M

tnxdshooter

• Deceitful Seller
  • SKS Sniper
  • USER IS BANNED
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:23:48 PM »
If you are wanting to mount a red dot this is you. There are no better mounts for mounting them. Especially if you want them to hold zero.

http://scoutscopes.com/sks-scope-mounts/sks-scope-mount-black-anodized-6795/

As far as red dots go I bought one of these for my regular sks and have since bought an M. I have decided to go with an eotech 512 on the m and would be willing to sell my unused still nib vortex sparc to finance the 512.

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-SPARC-Red-Dot-Scope/dp/B0038VG5UC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1333830367&sr=1-1

michael_jnel

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 10:23:52 AM »
I'm glad I didnt order a scope mount yesterday. The scoutscope looks like the ticket, and they are just an hour from my house. Will it fit with a T-6 stockand still be able to use the mount as a rear sight if needed?

Outdoorsman27

• SKS Newbie
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:45:07 PM »
I've been leaning to a tri-rail setup for what I want, the only reason I say I want 400 yard accuracy is because that is about the limit as far as effective range. I appreciate the input guys, I think I'll probably go with  a 1x4 magnifier and a red dot with the 1x4 attached to a swivel mount so it's always there if I need it. As for ballistics I'm working on my own rounds to ensure accuracy and reliability.
A Man Without A Gun Is A Martyr, A Man With A Gun Is A Patriot

tech

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 02:52:29 PM »
If your building something to chase moving targets the scoutscope.com mount is a great choice. I built one and mounted a cheap NC star illuminated scout scope to it. The red cross hairs are hard to loose and the LED illuminates the inner wall of the tube. This normally would be a bad thing but scout scopes have parallax issues and the red halo like ring lets you rapidly adjust for minimum parallax and make your shot with both eyes wide open.

I just installed a Techsight on my latest project. This one will do a lot of plinking at the range. It holds zero and was easy to install. I added a crosshair front sight and the combo gives a nice sight picture.

I think that it is generally the scope mount that wont hold zero making the SKS very hard to properly scope. A lot of junk is being sold that just doesn't work.

basicbill

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 05:56:41 PM »
Hey JD...beauty package!
I'm very interested in the side scope mount shown in the pic.
Did it come with the package or do you know if it's available by itself?

Howdy and welcome, ODM27!!
If you want to keep your accuracy out to 400 yds.---- well I'll assume that you're shooting at targets that are at least big enough to see.  And of course, you're dealing with SKS accuracy, not a rifle that might be more appropriate for long range shooting.  Nothing wrong with that, just need to keep perspective. 

Many of us here have done the scope thing with as good of success as is possible, and that would be my personal choice for an already modified SKS. 

For long range targets without magnifying optics, I've always thought it would be great to find an aperture type front sight insert to use in conjunction with a rear peep sight.  I'm talking a front sight insert with a hole in it so your target isn't obscured.  And no, I've never seen one. :cry: 

I'm very happy with my scoped version, but I would like to find a higher quality compact scope to use with it.  jd

indoorplant

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »

lowprofile

• SKS Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 06:15:23 PM »
Have to say I am interested because of the fact that I have very good distance vision, but the rear stock sight on my Yugo is blurry. I can use it, but have to wonder about an alternative. 

I know I will have as much money in a change to some kind of optics as I paid for the gun, but isn't the point to be a good shooter?  At that point it will be a $600 gun.  OK, not a problem if $600 is as good a value as a $1000  "Other Brand"  gun. That is not the same thing as "cheap".

Sort of off the subject, but has to do with the concept of price vs. value.  My dad died of lung cancer even though he never smoked in the last 15 years of his life. 

He told my mother that he learned to smoke in the Navy in WWII even thought he hated the taste.   I will never forget what she told me he said about why he smoked.

He said: "I had to because they were free"   He was raised that way, that cost was more important than value. 

I know its off the subject, but it makes me think about how many cheap things are the most expensive. I see examples of that 10 times a day.
And 95% its a product thats on the cheap side. 

So I will spend extra money on my Yugo because I  want to make it the best 100-150-200 yard gun I can get for the price. 

aldo

• SKS Newbie
  • Asked to Close out Membership
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 08:02:01 PM »
Choate scope mount and Russian PO 3X17 scope.You can pickup the scope on EBAY for less than a 100.00.Really any of the better quality middle of the pack compact scopes will work,there is a crap full of 1x4 compact scopes for the AR.If it will work on an AR,it wil work fine on a Choate mounted SKS,and you can still use your iron sights.

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »
  I have a Williams front sight,  on the front and a Lyman peep on the rear of my 1903.  I know it will hit out to 400 yards,  no problem.  But that is with a 06' round.  At 400 yards I'd think most any red dot would be covering up your target. 
  The SKS is more of a 200 yard rifle,  at least in my hands.  You could put a front globe sight on one and a Lyman or Williams peep on the rear,  but I still think the rifle and the round will hurt you out at 400. 

badbobgerman

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 07:51:41 PM »
yeah  I'm good to @300 yds.   no further...... , for 400 yds.,  i go to a 06 bolt gun
sks..... fires ,feeds ,ejects every time ...unless  you punch  your primer  and it blows back into your firing pin , only problem i have ever had ....easy fix