Author Topic: $1.67 SKS peep sight  (Read 4981 times)

Inspector 71

• SKS Newbie
$1.67 SKS peep sight
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:30:36 PM »
Hey guys, I just joined up around here, seems like a nice place, and thought id share this option Ive found for a sks peep sight. I recently picked up a bubba'd Chinese sks from my brother, primarily as a spare/parts gun for my Russian. Ive always wanted to mess around with an sks, the length of pull is short and the chunky bayo lug aint for me, but it would be hersey to bubba the Russian, so I decided to fire up the Dremel and the tap and go at this new one.

A good peep is my favorite sight by far and wanted one on the SKS. The tech sight is nice, but more than you need. The front sight is fully adjustable with a five dollar tool, so I didint feel the need to pay $70+ for a adjustable rear (I only paid $150 for the rifle!). Looking at the rifle, i couldn't help but notice the nice steel dust cover, right at the perfect height for a peep.  I then thought of the lo-pro skinner sights, but $40+ for a glorified screw seemed a little steep, no matter who makes it. The next day I picked up a washer and thumb bolt from ace for $1.67, and the pictures tell the tale:

I just drilled an tapped the dustcover to the thumb screw, and then threaded in the screw with the washer on. I then would file down the washer, slowly while checking the fit, until the thumb screw was parallel with the rear when nice and tight. After the fit was good, I filed down the bottom so it was flush with the cover, and out of the way of the bolt carrier. A little thread locker and black paint, and done. I also had to drill a hole in the screw of course.

At the height my peep was at, the humps on the rear sight base took up alot of space in the sight picture, so I filed them flat for an open field of view. A higher peep (more washers) would have solved the problem also, but I like the height its at. The front sight has plenty of room to move up. To sight in in at 50 yards I had to turn the front sight down about 5 revolutions.

And the rifle itself. It has really opened my eyes to the SKS. When the yugo's first hit the market years ago, I picked one up. I know now it had a worn out gas valve, but back then, I spent 3 months in vain trying to make it cycle. I sold it, thoroughly disgusted with the sks. A few years later I saw a really nice clean Russian at Cabelas for $230, knew it was a deal, and bought it. I love it, it has never failed me, but the stock was short, and the sights nothing special. Awesome rifle, but not perfect. Then on a whim I grabbed this from my brother in pieces, missing the magazine. He had tried to make a dragunov-hi-cap-sniper-tacticool-sks, and had got bored. With the peep and new factory mag, Im still only $183 into this gun. Its .30 cal. Reliable. Shoots good. pops right up and feels great. What could you buy new, today, that meets the criteria, for anywhere near that price?  Long Live the SKS!

dk.easterly

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Don't Tread on Me
Re: $1.67 SKS peep sight
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »
Now that's not a bad idea...

With all the dust cover scope mounts out there, I wonder why no one came up with this idea.

Good job.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for my phone's inability to type what I press.

sksrosie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:56:09 PM »
Welcome Inspector 71 great work on the peep sight. You will fit in good around here. There are a lot of tinkerers here and also a good amount of craftsmen also. Look around there is some cool stuff here.
 Now lets see some pics of this Russian you speak of 8)

Tricolor

• Constitution Supporter
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • 7.62mm МЕТАК
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
That actually looks really good! And it's hard to beat the price!

"There are collectors, shooters, hunters, bubba, tinkerers, wanna-be's, preppers, machinists, historians, snobs, newbies, etc on the site…All have one thing in common: the SKS" - AKBLUE

teanth

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
 :occasion5:

Cheers!  great post.

lowprofile

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:14:31 AM »
Very cool! :)

lowprofile

• SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 12:17:45 AM »
Is it hard to acquire the sight picture?

Inspector 71

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »
Thanks a lot guys. I'll get some pics of the Russian up sometime. Nuthin too fancy, just a really clean refurb. Darn those stock X's. I thought I Had a all matching original Russian till I found the Russian section of these boards earlier this month.

As for the sight picture, I like it great. I drilled the hole for the peep about the same size as the stock apertures on Williams peep sights. Not a target aperture or a ghost ring, in the middle. The height of sighting plane in relation to the gun is basically the same as the factory SKS sights, maybe a little lower. And the peep is good and close to your eye. I did file down those humps on the rear sight base. I could see the whole front sight, the entire round part, but the humps were right on either side. I like a nice clear picture, so away they went. Like I said, another washer or and you'd be clear without filing anything. Overall, with the ram line stock, the sighting ergonomics are a lot like my Winchester 94 with a receiver sight. I.E., just about perfect.   

exhausting

• SKS Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
Good idea and nice description.
Hind sight is always 20/20, but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

Twig

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • You can all go to Hell..I'm going to Texas - D. C.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 03:45:23 PM »
I love this DIY!

What about 2 holes that would mimic the flip on the tech sight...one for 100 and the other for 200.

Is that how the tech sights work? Dial one in and the flip is a set sighting at a farther distance?

99dodge318

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 04:32:02 PM »
Wow that's the best looking $2 sight I've ever seen!

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »
its a pretty good idea. but you'll have to just guesstimate elevation changes when shooting at things farther away, without breaking out the front sight tool
guns be funs

lowprofile

• SKS Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
What about very carefully, using very small Dremel bits, mill a an open site profile similar to stock SKS into the top curve of your hardware store thumbscrew that would give you another site picture.  Not sure what the difference between the two would be;  100-150, 100-200 yd ranges, but testing would tell you.

Might have to try this myself.

Laufer

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Running in the woods, hating work-out equipment..
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:48:02 PM »
The fully-adjust. Tech Sight is the only modification I've done to any rifle, and wish I hadn't waited so long (the only regret).

Your solution is admirable, and if yours stays attached and the rifle shoots well, that's an excellent idea.

wolfgang2000

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »
a very innovative sight.  Well done.

Just 1 point.  The military puts wings on it's sights for a reason.  You might think about that.
“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.”  Evan Marshall