Author Topic: Operating rod stuck  (Read 1128 times)

gary104

• SKS Newbie
Operating rod stuck
« on: April 18, 2012, 10:10:43 PM »
I just purchased a chenese sks from a friend, he said it will shoot but will not cycle, I have it apart to the point of the forearm but the operating rod will not fall out.  I used a full can of crc brake free but still will not come out.. Any suggestions?

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
Re: Operating rod stuck
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:26:47 PM »
  Introduce yourself first (you'll get more help, and it's polite),   then explain a little better.  You couldn't just push the op rod out with a cleaning rod?  Are you talking about the piston in the gas tube? 

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »
I just purchased a chenese sks from a friend, he said it will shoot but will not cycle, I have it apart to the point of the forearm but the operating rod will not fall out.  I used a full can of crc brake free but still will not come out.. Any suggestions?

CRC Brake-kleen, or Breakfree CLP ?

Either way, not the right stuff for unsticking things....altough you shouldn't need any of that to free up the op rod; if you do have siezed parts, then the stuff you want is PB Blaster; give things a good 48 hour soak and you should be fine...

Now,

Welcome to Survivor's....

It's customary here to introduce yourself before simply posting numerous questions; most folks also post a pic of their rifle and tell us a bit about how they came to own it, etc.....

As a new member, I would urge you to  read the forum rules carefully, and use the search feature at the top of the page, which works very well.....

By simply coming on as a new member and asking abrupt questions from your very first post, you are walking into what is essentially our clubhouse and being rude.....

So please, take a second , introduce yourself, get the feel of the place, and enjoy the atmosphere  a bit.

Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

Aye Kay

• SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
  Most of the time if a SKS will not cycle the gas port in the barrel is clogged up.  Clean it out with a drill bit or something.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »
 Or, if you reach carefully inside of the little trapdoor in the stock, there should be a metal capsule in there; pop it out, and inside you should find a little metal punch like tool with a tapered end; this is for cleaning the gas port.
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

Ghost Rider

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 03:52:17 AM »

I have bought several SKS`s in the past that were so dirty on the inside that the gas piston wouldn`t come out of the gas tube. I used part of my cleaning rod to tap it out. The gas piston has probably seized up because its never been cleaned before.
I won`t be wronged. I won`t be insulted. I won`t be laid a hand on. I don`t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Bernard Books

gary104

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 06:36:01 AM »
Sorry guys I am new here and this is my first sks.  A little about myself I have been in law enforcement for years and like to hunt and shoot, married and have 2 children.  More to come as I get to know you guys.  I will pick up some PB Blaster and try, but not sure how to tap it out I have tried to tap it back into the grip  but to no avail.< time for work  will check when i get home

Groovy Mike

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »
It will only come out in one direction.
"Turn to me and be saved...for I am God and there is no other." Isaiah 45:22

Storkenheimer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »
I just want to ask to be sure... Are we talking about the operating rod, or the gas piston?  Is it the one in the gas tube (removable part with handguard on it), or the one under the rear sight block?
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used."

Storkenheimer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
Pics would be helpful also.
"Freedom is something that dies unless it's used."

gary104

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:03 PM »
went to a gun smith today the operating rod was sticking out a little under the sight, not letting me lift the fore end off, it did have some grease packed in it, he had to force it out took awhile.  We found out that the spring is missing, not sure how this happened, my buddys brother bought this out of a crate of guns packed in cosmolene. but any how it is freedup and a spring is ordered and will be operational next week hopefully.
will keep ya posted

Browndog

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • Just one more SKS is all I want, honest!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 06:27:34 PM »
Or, if you reach carefully inside of the little trapdoor in the stock, there should be a metal capsule in there; pop it out, and inside you should find a little metal punch like tool with a tapered end; this is for cleaning the gas port.

I learned something today, thanks  8) I didn't know what the punch was for, I thought you were supposed to blow through the hole and get grease in your mouth. :banghead:
"There's a lot of football left" Bill Cowher