Author Topic: 1919 Swedish Mauser!  (Read 1274 times)

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
1919 Swedish Mauser!
« on: April 27, 2012, 04:55:26 PM »
Bought this one last night on GB. These are the Auction pics. Except for the last one found by researching.
I have four other really nice Swedes that I do shoot, but I wanted just one collectors item to call my own.
I found one. Just a bit different than we usually see. Notice that disk. Most were removed before import to the US.
Replaced with the standard disk showing condition at last arsenal inspection. This one apparently got in quite a number of years ago. Been sitting in a collection for years. Enjoy!

Now during research a friend did for me he found this. It is from the Bible of Swedish rifles. "Crown Jewels" written
by Dana Jones.  Look at the disk above, and the one in the book. Sure stoked me up!

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: 1919 Swedish Mauser!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:31:26 PM »
So your new piece was used as source material for the book you referenced, what are the odds of that?  Nice pick up, looks to be in great shape, congrats.

Flowmaster

• SKS Sniper
    • thoughts on guns: my blog
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »
How cool is that. Your gun is famous.
Collector of inexpensive pocket pistols.

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 12:36:53 AM »
How cool is that. Your gun is famous.
I never really had any hope to get it from the first day. But it just basically sat there. I found out on Gun Boards Swedish Forum from collectors that buyers must not have known what that disk really was. I found out tonight that the brass condition disks were only started to be used after WWII. In the 50's. This one still has the original disk. Some how
it was missed by the Swedes some where in their system. It kinda sounds like these disks are not easy to find here.
Since I posted on three boards some that knew about it existing are telling me more. I have to admit to being more thrilled now than last night when I bought it.

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »
Sometimes a deal meets our expectations, sometimes it's "eh, not exactly what I thought but I can live with it", and every so often we get lucky.  Congrats on the good luck.

Ghost Rider

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 09:15:15 PM »
Steve

Thats a really nice rifle, and the fact that it was used in a book/magazine makes it even better.

Have you ever checked out yesterdaysweapons.com ?, its similar to surplus rifle forums. 
I won`t be wronged. I won`t be insulted. I won`t be laid a hand on. I don`t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Bernard Books

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
Nope,you are the first to mention it. I will visit it.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »
 Oh sweet!

Think you will be able to find a nice plastic folding stock for it? :?

Just kidding.....

That's really nice. 8)
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 01:25:13 AM »
Oh sweet!

Think you will be able to find a nice plastic folding stock for it? :?

Just kidding.....

That's really nice. 8)
Fraid not for this baby. Tracked down just a moment ago where this rifle spent it's life basically in Swede.
Just putting my notes together now, but gonna have to finish it tomorrow. It has an awsme history. And,it is not an army rifle at all. Turns out to be Naval!

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:28:07 AM »
 You going to shoot it, or is it strictly a collector piece?

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 06:40:56 PM »
I at first intended to shoot it because I did not know what I actually bought. I have found the records that show this rifle
KA1 is actually a Naval Rifle. Issued to the 1st Coastal Artillery Unit. Based at the fortress of Vaxholm in Vaxholm city.
The Swedish Navy had dozens of land based guns to be used to defend the Northern sea approach into Stockholm. Some as big as the German or British Battleships!
There is/was a Royal Palace there also.
Some time after WWII the large guns were removed or just abandoned. I see they are a big tourist attraction today. I see many large guns still in place facing seaward.
It seems likely this rifle was sent to Vaxholm Fortress and remained there until closure. Still a little more verification I need to find this evening hopefully.  Having that disk opens a wealth of history so far. Let you know what else I can find on it.
With this data so far, it looks like I better just clean it and put it safely away for now. Real Swede collectors have told me it certainly is a real collector item.

lmbass14

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »
OO - All I can say is wow.  Like bobbers said about YOUR rifle being in the book is beyond cool.  I would like to see the rest of your gun safe queens.  Congrats.
"....Thats interesting. You know what makes me sad?  YOU DO.  Maybe we should chug on over to mamby-pamby land where maybe we can find some self-confidence for ya, you jack wagon." Gieco commercial

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 08:00:34 PM »
 Oh yeah, with that history, that's a safe queen for sure; I wouldn't shoot it if it was mine.....

Nice catch! 8)

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 09:11:53 PM »
Finally,just finished the History! The KA1 Naval Unit was organized in 1902 at Vaxholm. Batteries were set up with heavy guns in place first about 1904. Then added for several more years. On several Islands commanding the main sea approach to Stockholm. This 1919 was sent to that unit after manufacture. Unit KA1-KA5 were disbanded on July1, 2000.

Sweden for many years were just like the Swiss. The men in a family and some women after service were compelled to have a rifle at home for immediate recall into service if necessary. Up through age 47, you had to serve. Many are telling me that this rifle may have survived original disk removal because it was not returned to the Military until the Person holding it passed away. The Swedes used this as their front line firearm until 1980 or a little more. By the time this rifle was turned in, few were left for import here. They say at the end, some of these returns to the government showed up.
The Gov. over there finally told citizens to turn these rifles back in. Most likely this was one of the last and just thrown into a shipment.  No way to prove for certain, but most feasible explanation as given to me by the top experts in this area. Also, the original owner who bought it from a Gun Shop that handled them while they were coming in has had it locked up safely for two decades or so it seems. For now, unless I find out a reason not to, it will be my personal center piece perhaps. I'm pumped to get this one in my hands. I've got others to shoot. Problem with the Swedes is, they are 300 yard minimum sighted in sights on them. The rear sight is 300 meters on up and that is it. There are some Military sight blades available to lower point of impact at 100 to 200. But hard to tell rifle to rifle what to try. My Club range only goes out to 200 yds.  I gotta hold at or below paper to hit a 6" or 8" Bull zone at 200. These really are long range rifles. They weren't kidding. Same with the K31 Swiss rifles.

sheepdog

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BIG MONEY GRIFF
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
Man if you ain't the luckiest s** ** * ***ch ever. :banghead:
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE