Author Topic: Lightest weight for SKS  (Read 3486 times)

jlwilliams

• SKS Gunsmith
Lightest weight for SKS
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:23:36 AM »
Has anybody done an SKS mod job with an eye toward weight?  How light can you get an SKS?  The only places that jump out as places to shave weight off are shortening the barrel, losing the bayo lug and maybe a synthetic stock.  Any other ideas where ounces could be shaved off?  Anybody have a non bayo para that they can throw on a scale?  How much does that weigh?  Does 4" of barrel lose a lot of weight?  Or does it just make a handier rifle?

I know, there is no point trying to make an SKS as light as a carbon 15 or an M1 carbine.  Not trying to do that cause it won't work.  I just like a light weight, lean rifle.  I am looking at a used Norinco locally and since it's not pristine I may mod it up a bit.  Those two factors gelled into "How 'bout a light weight SKS?"  My only SKS now is a Russian refurb, which fills my desire for an as issued, stock SKS.  Maybe I get this Chinese and lighten it up within the bounds of sanity.

Any input welcomed.  If you have a shorty, please chime in.

sksrosie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Lightest weight for SKS
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
 I have such a Rifle, I have not weighed it but it is a lot lighter than my Russian Rifle.
   It's a Chinese with a Chu wood Stock cut down to 16 1/2 with a prince50 front sight. No bayonet or lug or cleaning rod. Somewhere here there was a list of all the Stocks for the SKS' weights and I believe the Chu wood was one of the lightest even compared to the poly and jungle Stocks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:03:48 AM by sksrosie »

jlwilliams

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:59:19 AM »
  I like the look of that.  I have a jungle stock, but a chu wood would be great too if it's lighter.  The jungle stock isn't on anything, just among my accumulated gun parts.  If I get the other SKS, I'll certainly be taking both stocks and weighing them for comparison.  I don't know what the wood that's on it now is.  Only that it's wood.

Any chance you might put your rifle on a scale?

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:05:35 AM »
About the only synthetic stock that is going to be lighter than a Chinese wood stock is the old ATI/CE Ultralight folding stock.
A barrel cut and crown with a clean front end(use a P50 FSB) in one of those stocks with no other bells and whistles or a Chu wood stock are going to be the lightest you will get. The only added mod would be the ultra drop free bolt mod to remove metal thus lightening it and then a Tapco 20rnd mag is 1 oz. lighter than the factory box mag. A Promag 5 or 10rnd mag might be lighter yet, but can't say how performance is on those.

sksrosie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:30:19 AM »
 I almost forgot about that GG. Mine also has the bolt mod, I also took the Cleaning Kit and the spring out of the Butt stock. A little weight was added with the wood plug I used in the Bayo cut and a forward sling swivel.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:50:32 AM »
I figure with all those mods you can plan on somewhere around 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. off the normal weight of an SKS which would bring it to about 7-7 1/2lbs. depending on what you have for a sling and other accessories.

jlwilliams

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
Thanks.  7 to 7 1/2 lbs isn't bad.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
IIRC standard SKS weight is normally just under 9lbs with the Paras coming in at about 8 1/2lbs.

jlwilliams

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
Where can I find one of those Prince 50 fsb's?

sksrosie

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 10:41:17 AM »

vegiH

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
I will have to weigh the difference.......but my SKS sporter(para short barrel ..10 round Ak mag......shaved bayou lug) is a lot lighter then my norinco with French tickler...bayou.....Chu stock and 10 round mag......

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »
It should be around 1lb. lighter just on the weight of the bayonet assembly and the 4" of barrel material.

jlwilliams

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 11:40:20 AM »
I will have to weigh the difference.......but my SKS sporter(para short barrel ..10 round Ak mag......shaved bayou lug) is a lot lighter then my norinco with French tickler...bayou.....Chu stock and 10 round mag......

Chinese factory model that took AK mags or a conversion?

vegiH

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 06:49:52 PM »
Factory model....

vegiH

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
Just weighed the pair.....norinco chu wood SKS.....7.5 pounds......norinco sporter........6.5 pounds.....complete weapons no ammo.