Author Topic: Efective range of the SKS  (Read 6441 times)

cajunfighter

• SKS Plinker
Re: Efective range of the SKS
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2012, 07:52:08 PM »
effective range of the sks is until the accuracy fails which is about 300 but the effective range of x39 is much greater. you won't be able to hit what you aim at out there at 800 but what ever your bullet hits at 800 will go down. seems this thread is confusing the effective range of the firearm and round.

Well said sir...

celt1314

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »
I have shot SKS's and AK's at targets out to 400 yards... Made plenty of hits... Bet I could keep your head down.... Bet I could make your buddy sorry he didn't....

And... you would be a fool to believe that the 7.62x39 round isn't lethal at 800+ yards... It's not a popping cork gun or a sling shot...

Thanks

Hehheh! Love it. That's the same with the 22lr. You won't catch me standing in front of one of those either.
Those who would sacrifice a little freedom for a little order, will loose both, and deserve neither." --Benjamin Franklin

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Just plain beautiful!!!!!
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2012, 11:13:49 AM »
I have shot SKS's and AK's at targets out to 400 yards... Made plenty of hits... Bet I could keep your head down.... Bet I could make your buddy sorry he didn't....

And... you would be a fool to believe that the 7.62x39 round isn't lethal at 800+ yards... It's not a popping cork gun or a sling shot...

Thanks

Hehheh! Love it. That's the same with the 22lr. You won't catch me standing in front of one of those either.
we used to play bb gun wars as kids with full paintball gear. I won't do that anymore either lol
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

jlwilliams

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2012, 12:24:00 PM »
Sure, you could hit a target that far away and I wouldn't stand out in the open if some one was shooting any rifle at me from 800 yards.  Still, the best accessory for engaging targets at really long ranges with an SKS is a good pair of shoes.  Walk 3/4 of the way there and then shoot it.

The round was developed toward the end of WWII.  I'll spare everyone the story they already know about the 8mm Kurz and all that.  The long and short of it is that during WWII they realized that most rifle fighting happens at 400 yards or less.  800, 1000 yard shots do happen, but the overwealming majority of the action happens from arms reach to 400.  That lead to the development of rifles and rounds that are designed around that central theme.  Where the old paradigm was to give soldiers rifles capable of hitting anything that can be seen by a young man in his prime with the best eye sight he'll ever have (30-06 battle rifles, etc) the new is to have rifles that do what is most likely and carry a bunch more ammo.

The SKS was designed at that time and was one of the first fielded in that genra.  Not the first, but it is definitely a first generation intermediate cartridge rifle and it does it's thing within 400 yards.  That's what The Boss ordered and that's what Simonov delivered.

skslouis

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2012, 05:06:50 PM »
Man...i see several posts stating the x39 will go out 800 yards...well so will my 22 lr...but its not effective...sure it might put a hole in someone...but is that effective?...no its more luck...to be "effective" you need to hit what your aiming at...spraying bullets at a target is less "effective" than the one shot one kill method...the bullet drop on the x39 after 300 yards makes it "inaffective"the hold over is more of a luck shot...my m1a is "effective" out to 500 yards open sight...anything past that i use a scope...hence extending the "effective" range to 800 yards...after that the bullet drop makes my m1a "ineffective"...understand the limits of your gun and ammo by design...
Destiny is for those who take action...fate will find the rest...

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
Man...i see several posts stating the x39 will go out 800 yards...well so will my 22 lr...but its not effective...sure it might put a hole in someone...but is that effective?...no its more luck...to be "effective" you need to hit what your aiming at...spraying bullets at a target is less "effective" than the one shot one kill method...the bullet drop on the x39 after 300 yards makes it "inaffective"the hold over is more of a luck shot...my m1a is "effective" out to 500 yards open sight...anything past that i use a scope...hence extending the "effective" range to 800 yards...after that the bullet drop makes my m1a "ineffective"...understand the limits of your gun and ammo by design...
What are you talking about? clearly you have no COD experience :roll:
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

skslouis

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »
Judge not my experiance by this topic bud...trying to give a lil info about the x39...

BigIrish70

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
Im not a ballistic's expert but I think a 7.62x39 at 400 yards could get the jod done , Its all about placement. I have seen that round do some amazeing amount of damage to hard targets at 250 yards easy. Especially if your talking bullet impacting into a human body, we are pretty whimpy when it comes down to deflecting projectile's ..I sure would not what to be the bullet magnet ! lol. Ouchy

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2012, 08:20:19 PM »
Judge not my experiance by this topic bud...trying to give a lil info about the x39...
its a joke, COD is a video game in which the sks is considered a sniper's rifle :lol: not an attack on you 8)

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

skslouis

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2012, 10:53:37 PM »
Lol...sorry dude...i don't play video games so i didn't know what the cod reference was...no hard feelings:-)

UnrauD

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2012, 11:45:16 PM »
Sure, you could hit a target that far away and I wouldn't stand out in the open if some one was shooting any rifle at me from 800 yards.  Still, the best accessory for engaging targets at really long ranges with an SKS is a good pair of shoes.  Walk 3/4 of the way there and then shoot it.

The round was developed toward the end of WWII.  I'll spare everyone the story they already know about the 8mm Kurz and all that.  The long and short of it is that during WWII they realized that most rifle fighting happens at 400 yards or less.  800, 1000 yard shots do happen, but the overwealming majority of the action happens from arms reach to 400.  That lead to the development of rifles and rounds that are designed around that central theme.  Where the old paradigm was to give soldiers rifles capable of hitting anything that can be seen by a young man in his prime with the best eye sight he'll ever have (30-06 battle rifles, etc) the new is to have rifles that do what is most likely and carry a bunch more ammo.

The SKS was designed at that time and was one of the first fielded in that genra.  Not the first, but it is definitely a first generation intermediate cartridge rifle and it does it's thing within 400 yards.  That's what The Boss ordered and that's what Simonov delivered.
it was because of blitzkrieg that changed the fighting from the 800-1000 yards down to the 300 and less, tactics which are still being used.

hogjon13

• Proud to be a
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • I am not a number. I will not get on "The Bus"
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »
 :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2: :sleepy2:       :snorting:

O/O
My last computer beat me at chess, but it wasn't worth a crap in a gunfight.

Those with little first-hand experience who dismiss or ignore the learned opinions of those more experienced are doomed to wander through life without a clue.

μολών λαβέ

ROGER4314

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2012, 05:59:27 PM »
I won a first and a second place at 200 yards with a Yugo in NRA position matches. The little rifle will do a great job at 200 but after the matches, we experimented with the SKS at up to 600 yards. Gotta admit at 600, it was like lobbing a mortar at the target. How effective was it? I wouldn't want to get hit with it but it was so unreliable that any thought of it being a military grade weapon at that range is foolish.

Flash
Retired technical instructor and master technician. Competitive pistol and high power rifle shooter (200-600 yards). Collector, reloader, amateur gunsmith and CHL holder.

May God bless the USA and the great State of Texas!

UnrauD

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2012, 12:23:59 AM »
I won a first and a second place at 200 yards with a Yugo in NRA position matches. The little rifle will do a great job at 200 but after the matches, we experimented with the SKS at up to 600 yards. Gotta admit at 600, it was like lobbing a mortar at the target. How effective was it? I wouldn't want to get hit with it but it was so unreliable that any thought of it being a military grade weapon at that range is foolish.

Flash
you have posted something very similar to this on another topic if im not mistaken(which i can't remember the last time i was). looks like someone wants to brag a little on there shooting abilities. :lol:

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »

Flash
you have posted something very similar to this on another topic if im not mistaken(which i can't remember the last time i was). looks like someone wants to brag a little on there shooting abilities. :lol:
video or it didn't happen :lol:

We murdered Gaddafi!!!