Author Topic: Yugo zastava pap AK 47  (Read 5911 times)

reagan

• SKS Plinker
Yugo zastava pap AK 47
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:14:04 PM »
Hello i was wondering if anyone here has one and how they like it. Are these any better than a WASA, they are the same price Also can the thumb stock hole stock be changed for a regular stock. Thanks

skid00dl

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
Re: Yugo zastava pap AK 47
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
I have the same question as well. Also, Widener's has them for $645. Is that a decent price?

Mancat

• SKS Guru
  • give all the milsurps to me
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:32:02 PM »
PAP machining quality on individual parts is typically better than a WASR.

The problem with the thumbhole stock PAP models is such: 1) they are a single-stack magazine rifle. This can be changed by enlarging the mag well, but the PAP requires the trunnion to be widened as well. 2) the receiver is slant-cut at the rear, making it a bit of a pain to install a normal Yugo buttstock.

If you want a PAP, I would suggest you look at the conversions dome by Century. These were ordered from Zastava with standard squareback receiver and double-stack trunnion. Century mills out the mag well and does 922r work.

Unfortunately, they are missing the M70 gas shutoff/GL equipment and night sights, as well as missing the rear sling swivel that is normally welded to the receiver. But, they are brand new Zastava rifles.

http://centerfiresystems.com/AKAGUN-YUGO.aspx

Personally, I would take a WASR over a PAP in most cases due to the WASR's chrome-lined barrel and gas block.

Money Mike

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »
You want a PAP?! I recommend you try out one of these bad boys, coming out soon. I can't wait to get my dirty mitts on one of these. They say there is .223 in the works also.

More info here:
http://www.impactguns.com/pap-m92-pv-pistol-762x39mm-30-rnd-mag-hg3089-n-787450220720.aspx
"Go Away, 'batin'!"

draftpick

• SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »
the M70 PAP at wideners and the one several other vendors are selling seem to be quaility rifles. I have handled 2 of the and both that I have seen at 2 differnet shops were square cut recievers with a 1.5 mm thick rpk receiver looked to be a thicker barrel and the wood looked good. Fit and finish was nice as well. Looked at these but went the Vepr route. I have seen some other paps have slant receivers a while back but have been only seeing the straight/ square cut reciever m70 PAPs right now.

skid00dl

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:21:58 AM »
Thanks, guys.
Mancat, please take a look at the ones advertised on Widener's site.  They "appear" to be a "standard" type AK variant.  They come with two 30 round mags and standard type stocks.  I am not well versed in AK's and I only know what I have read in various gun magazines about the different makes.

Also, is the list price out of line?  I know a few years ago $450 was considered high.  But prices on all guns are going up and they will never come back down. 

Thanks again.

Mancat

• SKS Guru
  • give all the milsurps to me
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »
The one shown on Widerner's site is the Century imported/converted PAP I was talking about.

The word is that Zastava was told by Century and other importers that the slant-cut receiver and single-stack trunnion were not selling well in the US, and that they needed to change them, "or else." As far as I know they still come in with a single-stack receiver before conversion, similar to Romanian imports.

The PAP to avoid is the one that looks like this:

My main complaint is still lack of a chrome-lined barrel. IMO this is a must-have on an AK, if you only plan to own one or two of them. A CL barrel will have a much longer lifespan, even in a semi-auto rifle. For an out of the box AK, I would rather buy a WASR or spend the extra cash on an SGL-21 in order to get a hammer-forged CL barrel. There are also several kit guns available now with US-made CL barrels, but I don't have much experience on the quality of those barrels. Factory-built guns such as the WASR, SGL, or the PAP (if you don't mind the barrel) are generally preferable over kit-built guns.

Twig

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • You can all go to Hell..I'm going to Texas - D. C.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »
You want a PAP?! I recommend you try out one of these bad boys, coming out soon. I can't wait to get my dirty mitts on one of these. They say there is .223 in the works also.

More info here:
http://www.impactguns.com/pap-m92-pv-pistol-762x39mm-30-rnd-mag-hg3089-n-787450220720.aspx

Money,

That's awesome!

Unfortunately, I just put a hundy down on a Mini Draco yesterday...Fortunately, I just went back and canceled the deal (I had 5 days)...Glad I cancelled, the price is too similar...time to start saving now!

skid00dl

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:51:46 PM »
What does PAP stand for?

hostile

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »
Pap is sebian for semi automatic rifle and Serb rifles are the best built bar none. They are a civilian design so they are single stack for importation. The thumbhole stock is very comfortable and if you are crying for a cromed lined bore give it up. Non chrome lined are are more accurate than chromed lined and if you are worried about the extra life it is not much. Yugo sks rifles are not chrome lined and they are just fine.  But if you are interested in shootingn10000 rounds in a year then you should worry about chrome barrels. Otherwise this is a great rifle. Century has the 10 rund mags for. 9.89 see if you can beat that. They feed perfectly and I have had 500 rounds with nothing but perfection and 1.5 @100 yrds. They are not m70's they are just great rifles bar none.

draftpick

• SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »
They are not m70's they are just great rifles bar none.

You might want to look at some next time your at a shop or show. Not sure what the difference in a M70 vs a M70 PAP would be, other than a single stack mag well? The 2 I handled at different shops both said M70 PAP. Had straight cut receivers. And J&G list them as M70 PAP as well. http://www.jgsales.com/cai-yugo-zastava-akm-47-pap-m70-rifle,-7.62x39-caliber,-with-pistol-grip-and-wood-stock.-p-6775.html

hostile

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »
The m70 pap is a bastard creation from century. They take a pap which is a good single stack rifle and try to turn it into a m70. It seems to be OK but not as good as a pap or m70 is. Had they used a m70 bolt and front trunion they would have worked better. Of course this all because of the atf importation rules requiring only 10 round mags. Saiga does basically the same thing by not using a feed ramp in the rifle and putting one in the mags so you can only use their mags with the rifle.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 04:20:33 PM »

More info here:

Money,

That's awesome!

Unfortunately, I just put a hundy down on a Mini Draco yesterday...Fortunately, I just went back and canceled the deal (I had 5 days)...Glad I cancelled, the price is too similar...time to start saving now!

Copes just announced they had the M92 pistols in stock.  Sold out in less than 3 hours. :)

Money Mike

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »

More info here:

Money,

That's awesome!

Copes just announced they had the M92 pistols in stock.  Sold out in less than 3 hours. :)

I have my name on the email notification with Impact but didn't know that Copes was going to offer it also. Well it is good to know it is real. And not surprised about the 3 hours. That thing has SBR hotness written all over it.
"Go Away, 'batin'!"