Author Topic: Gasoline storage  (Read 2003 times)

wrightbrigade

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage
Gasoline storage
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:32:14 PM »
Got to thinking about this after seeing in other threads about generators that some are storing up 100 plus gallons of gas.  I would like to know that best way to do that safely.  What kind of container/s and or pump.  I know there are several that put this into practice.  Thanks WB
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money,
that will herald the end of the republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
Re: Gasoline storage
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:42 PM »
 I'm using plastic barrels and  both metal and plastic jerry cans; all sealed, all with Stab-il and/or Seafoam; the barrels have hand crank pumps to dispense to the jerry cans that are used to fill things.

The fuel is stored in a ventilated shed that is away from the house and other outbuildings for safety, and has no electrical power to it or anything else that could cause a safety hazard.

Gasoline is highly flammable, and the fumes are volatile; you have to be very careful.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:25:50 PM by ranger1968 »
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

wolfgang2000

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »
+1 on what ranger said.  One of the keys to successful Gas storage is AIR TIGHT containers.  This is especially true if you are using a ethanol mix gas.  On top of Stab-il and or Seafoam, look for Pri-G.  IMO it's the best on the market, but finding it is usually a issue.
“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.”  Evan Marshall

keg

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 02:44:23 PM »
It has always been my understanding that most plastic containers are permeable to oxygen. The exception is the clear kind used for soda, juice, cooking oil, and etc.  Oxygen is damaging to the long term storage of gasoline. I have just started storing larger amounts of fuel and plan on using steel drums for this reason. I think there only drawback is rust. With a little asking around I found that most drums are now lined with an anti corrosive coating to help inhibit this issue.

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 02:58:19 PM »
It has always been my understanding that most plastic containers are permeable to oxygen. The exception is the clear kind used for soda, juice, cooking oil, and etc.  Oxygen is damaging to the long term storage of gasoline. I have just started storing larger amounts of fuel and plan on using steel drums for this reason. I think there only drawback is rust. With a little asking around I found that most drums are now lined with an anti corrosive coating to help inhibit this issue.

We've had excellent luck with the thick poly barrels we have been using; the trick is to keep the containers completely full for storage;

We rotate the fuel though the course of a year, so it's fairly fresh, but I have no doubt we could get a few years out of storage this way......

And I also figure that unless you are storing a ton of fuel- 700, 800, 1,000 + gallons- that you are going to use up what you have within a few years regardless, even if you are very frugal in your fuel usage.
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

oblivionboyj

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Nec timeo nec sperno
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
We are getting ready to build a fuel shed by our barn.
In this shed we will be storing gasoline, diesel, kerosene, and propane.
The kerosene will be stored in plastic jerry cans.
We are moving away from our on grid oil heating system so we are going to repurpose our tank by moving it to the fuel shed.
We haven't decided if we will use the tank for gas or diesel, but we are leaning toward gas becuase we will have far more need for gasoline.
Whichever we use the tank for, the other will go in plastic 55 gallon drums.
We use propane in 20lb conaisters, so they store easily enough.
We have about 10 of them, which is about a years worth of fuel for our stove.
We also keep plenty of 2 stroke oil, stabil or seafoam, and various lubricans (motor and bar oil, LPS 1 and 3, etc).

Rotation is the key.
I use about 20 gallons a month for the truck (Sikorsky pays for a car and gas, so we don't use much gas in the truck for now).
Add to that another 4 gallons in the lawn mower and various other gas powered lawn impliments.
So if I take that fuel from the storage, replenish it when I take it, and keep it stabilized, I think we would have a full supply of good fuel in the event that we were no longer able to replenish it that would last us a couple years.
"Get thee behind me Satan!" Jesus
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana
"I'm so happy cause I'm a Gummy Bear, GUMMY BEAR" Gummy Bear

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies / Resident Asshole
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 05:08:30 PM »
I use a combo of plastic for short term and Jerry style cans for longer term, you need to get fuel satbilizer, (Stabil has ruined the pour spouts on some of my cans, so in the future I will be using Pri-G, it is more expensive but supposed to be the best).  I only have a Yamaha genny and it sips gas so I only keep about 50-60 gallons.  I bought a larger propane generator because it eliminated the storage and rotation hassles.

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

Dunerunner

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:33:54 PM »
If you can find it buy Clear, or unleaded fuel without Ethanol; sometime refered to as boat or marine gas.  It will last longer and will store in your equipment better that the stuff marketed for your automobile.  I use it in every engine I care about that does not have frequent usage.

keg

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
An excellent article from the guy that owns PRI fuel storage products gives some real good examples of the type of containers one should use.  He says to shy away from poly and go with nylon and steel.  Also says to buy PRI G got to figure on that one.

BigBill

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »
I'm going to add seafoam to all my gas storage cans.   I use seafoam in all my equipment and for winter storage over the cold months when its all sleeping.  My equipment runs like it was never asleep.  This new gas sucks but the seafoam helps keep it fresh.

landnav

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
As a certified fire inspector, I can tell you if your planning to store any quantity of gasoline, you should bond and ground your containers. Bonding involves conecting a conductor wire to each metal container. Then ground the entire group to an approved grounding rod with a grounding strap.  If you place it in a shed, ensure there is no electrical power to the structure and that there is adequate cross ventilation. I would go as far to ensure no metal hardware is used on the door latch/catch.

If you live in a metropolitan area, there will be codes/ordinances regulating the quantity you can legally stoere. It's easy to get complacent because we use gasoline regularly. What we don't do is store this in this large of quantites. This is a very dangerous material and needs to be respected.

wrightbrigade

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Despite all my rage I'm still just a rat in a cage
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 07:24:09 PM »
As a certified fire inspector, I can tell you if your planning to store any quantity of gasoline, you should bond and ground your containers. Bonding involves conecting a conductor wire to each metal container. Then ground the entire group to an approved grounding rod with a grounding strap.  If you place it in a shed, ensure there is no electrical power to the structure and that there is adequate cross ventilation. I would go as far to ensure no metal hardware is used on the door latch/catch.

If you live in a metropolitan area, there will be codes/ordinances regulating the quantity you can legally stoere. It's easy to get complacent because we use gasoline regularly. What we don't do is store this in this large of quantites. This is a very dangerous material and needs to be respected.

What if all your containers are the red nylon plastic ones?
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money,
that will herald the end of the republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
We have tons of Natural gas in West Virginia. I was wondering if there is a way to use it in an internal combustion engine?
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies / Resident Asshole
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »
We have tons of Natural gas in West Virginia. I was wondering if there is a way to use it in an internal combustion engine?

Yes, they make NG generators and you can convert most gasoline engines to propane (very similar to NG) and I would think there is a conversion to NG for most internal combustion engines.  Ever notice public buses that run on NG?

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

oblivionboyj

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Nec timeo nec sperno
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 07:59:52 PM »
If you look at real estate listings in WV you will see some that say "free electricity".
They simply have an NG well head plumbed to a generator.
"Get thee behind me Satan!" Jesus
"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana
"I'm so happy cause I'm a Gummy Bear, GUMMY BEAR" Gummy Bear