Author Topic: CCCP marked SKS  (Read 1862 times)

maloy

• Nothing suspicious here!
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
CCCP marked SKS
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:26:24 PM »
Hey all, I looked at a SKS yesterday that had "Made in Russia" and CCCP as part of its serial number.

I assume it was an import marketing ploy with the CCCP. It looked like this one.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/7588639/rifles-for-sale/semi-auto-rifle/soviet-union-cccp-sks-7.62x39-cccp-marked-russian-excel-cond

The difference is that this gun looks like "BRAND NEW" and it is a private seller asking $425. So what would you do? I can scrap up the cash even though money is tight at the moment. "I'm learning a lesson loaning money to my sister"

Thanks,

Maloy
I can't go to hell, Satan still has a restraining order against me!

SGT ROCK

• SKS Gunsmith
Re: CCCP marked SKS
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »
Many of the early imports had this marking.....I forget which importer........my first Russian has this
'50, '51 '53, '56, '64, '65, '66, '67, '67, '92, '93, '65, '76, '60, '71

Logan7

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 10:17:02 PM »
Maloy, you're right, CCCP is phony: this was never an original marking on the SKS. And, as stated by Rock, these faux serials on the right side of the receiver were added here in the states by one importer, CDI, to tap into some imagined market appeal of former USSR milsurp arms. It is common to see, but none too attractive imho.

'New' refurbished is getting increasingly rare, I agree, but you might want to hold out for another if you don't want all the CCCP stuff. They appear from time to time around that price or a little higher. Sometimes a KBI importer marked one that is still in-the-box with accessories comes up for sale at a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:32:59 PM by Logan7 »
Lex Malla, Lex Nulla

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 02:02:33 AM »
The CDI markings are not phony.  They denote the country of origin, the importer and the actual serial number of the firearm per BATFE regs,  Nothing unusual.  Just a diferent location and method of application vs the pin engraving used by Century or R-Guns etc.

Logan7

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »
Did not mean to touch a nerve here, AKblue, but let's define our terms:

The CDI markings are not phony.

As they are intended to deceive, yes they are phony. "CCCP" is Cyrillic for USSR, and the Soviet Union no longer existed at the time they were added by one importer here in the U.S.

Many American buyers think this is a receiver stamping originally placed on their rifle by the former Soviet Union. It is absolutely intended to deceive them, and that is why I properly use the term "phony".

the actual serial number of the firearm per BATFE regs

No, the secondary serial placed there by CDI is not necessary, as other SKS rifle importers such as CAI demonstrate.

or R-Guns

Can't speak to this. -What is R-Guns? [EDITED] found out myself. This was not an SKS importer (there were only 4 as far as I know).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:48:33 PM by Logan7 »
Lex Malla, Lex Nulla

maloy

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:37:12 PM »
Maloy, you're right, CCCP is phony: this was never an original marking on the SKS. And, as stated by Rock, these faux serials on the right side of the receiver were added here in the states by one importer, CDI, to tap into some imagined market appeal of former USSR milsurp arms. It is common to see, but none too attractive imho.

'New' refurbished is getting increasingly rare, I agree, but you might want to hold out for another if you don't want all the CCCP stuff. They appear from time to time around that price or a little higher. Sometimes a KBI importer marked one that is still in-the-box with accessories comes up for sale at a reasonable price.

I have a nice KBI with the box, sling, and cleaning kit. The pouches and oiler were missing.

Maloy

maloy

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »
I think I'm going to make an offer on it. It was very nice. I meet the the seller Saturday.

Maloy

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »
In fact, the CCCP stampings by CDI are disdained by collectors. The majority including myself deduct dollars from a price of one or will not even buy one for a collection. Just the way it is.

maloy

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 07:52:52 PM »
In fact, the CCCP stampings by CDI are disdained by collectors. The majority including myself deduct dollars from a price of one or will not even buy one for a collection. Just the way it is.

What's the difference between this and a factory /26\ with the Norinco, Pomona CA markings on the side?

Maloy

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
Simply because it is not a common Chinese. The large Capitol Letters CCCP were not necessary to tell or advertise the Soviet Union. Just the way it is with many Russian Collectors. As the USSR did not even exist at the time CDI stamped them as such. I feel phony date stamping just to sell the CDI inventory. After all, a Russian is a Russian and not a Chinese. If not, there prices would be far lower.

Logan7

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:13:23 PM »
What's the difference between this and a factory /26\ with the Norinco, Pomona CA markings on the side?

Well, to me, the obvious difference is the importer -in this case in Pomona- did not add markings to the Chinese SKS receiver in Mandarin.
Lex Malla, Lex Nulla

maloy

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 08:48:30 PM »
Well looking at gun broker, I think I will at least be paying anywhere from $100 to $200 less than they want for the CCCP marked. I'm more of a shooter type of collector. I don't keep, "Safe Queens". When I worry about taking them out and shoot them, then it is time to sell.

So what he is asking and what I want to pay will be somewhat apart, but I can usually find a middle ground on price.

Thanks,

Maloy