Author Topic: Sgworks bullpup  (Read 1801 times)

jdk32581

• SKS Newbie
Sgworks bullpup
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:47:39 AM »
Ordered my sgworks kit on August 14th of this year and is has shipped this week. Two month wait is not that bad and they are catching up faster on shipping every week. I would guess that pretty soon they will be shipping the same week it was ordered. Just thought I would give everyone a heads up who has been holding off buying one because of the long wait times.

Prepared Machinist

• SKS Newbie
Re: Sgworks bullpup
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
I'm planning on ordering one in the next few weeks. I like the SG Works design better than CBRPS's...

jdk32581

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:03:28 PM »
I almost ordered the CBRPS because I was worried about the wait for the sgworks but I do not like how the CBRPS looks at all. Looks kinda cheesy. Glad I ordered the sgworks, they told me three month wait and it only took 2 months

911Dispatch

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »
I recently received my kit as well and the wait was well worth it. I will warn you that I had to file and dremel a lot to make it work on a spare Norinco SKS-M para but did not have to modify the original weapon in any way. If you run into any problems feel free to pm.
""To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Blackwolf

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:32:25 PM »
I ordered a kit a few weeks ago. It's good to hear that they're catching up, because I can't wait to start the conversion on my yugo.

Booming Sooner

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 10:33:25 PM »
You whippersnappers these days!  In MY day we had to wait 14 months for our SG works kits!

You'll notice the muzzle brake is missing...it's somewhere down a range.  Seems the 4 set-screw type isn't the way to go.

If the busses can't run on time, why can you carry a gun?

jdk32581

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »
I like your build. I just picked up my Chinese sks from the smith. I had a Jtac-47 brake pin welded on and the barrel cut down to legal length. I will be mounting a Vortex Sparc on the sgworks kit. Did your optic lock up tight on the Sgworks kit? All I need now is a Marcus mag adapter and some modified mags and I am done.

I will post pics when I am done with the build.

Booming Sooner

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:40:23 PM »
The optic clamps tightly but I'm having huge groups at 100 yards.  I attribute this to a poor crowning job done by the hack who shortened the barrel....in other words, me!  :oops:  Before I did anything to it the gun would hold roughly 3"-4" groups off a rest but now it's more like 8"-10".  I've recently re-done the crown so I'll see if it tightens up any. 

jdk32581

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 04:09:22 PM »
The optic clamps tightly but I'm having huge groups at 100 yards.  I attribute this to a poor crowning job done by the hack who shortened the barrel....in other words, me!  :oops:  Before I did anything to it the gun would hold roughly 3"-4" groups off a rest but now it's more like 8"-10".  I've recently re-done the crown so I'll see if it tightens up any.

Thats why I took it to a reputable gun smith I did not trust my own ability although I was not seeking long range accuracy. While nice groups at 100 would be nice I was trying for more of a CQ rifle in 7.62. I think brownells sells some easy and affordable crowning tools..

Booming Sooner

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
I did it myself for several reasons- I'm thinking of pursing a part-time gunsmithing vocation and also because the 'pup is just a fun gun to be messed with that doesn't fill any niche in my collection. Well, it does fill the bullpup niche.  What's odd is before I did the sks I cut and crowned a Mosin 91/30 and it shoots great groups, in fact I plan on taking it hunting this season.  If I don't get the 'pup right this time I may check around for someone to fix it.

jdk32581

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
I like working on guns myself too. Recently converted and modified a Saiga 12 shotgun. I would love to work on other peoples guns... Maybe one day when I retire...

Bill03E

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 11:16:50 AM »
I ordered my kit on September 25th, and got a shipping notice yesterday, I would say they are getting faster.

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »
**WARNING**  When you get your stock and start to assemble it, DO NOT, and I can't stress this enough, force anything. If it's tight, find out why and FIX it. The Dremel is your best friend. Do not force any screws either. You will strip the inserts. If you don't like how the mags load, contact us, we have a fix for that also. It's called the G5 mag adapter. Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch guys, but we do have a fix for the mags and the clearance issue behind the pistol grip.
Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

Thorshammer-MN

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • SI vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
I recently received my kit as well and the wait was well worth it. I will warn you that I had to file and dremel a lot to make it work on a spare Norinco SKS-M para but did not have to modify the original weapon in any way. If you run into any problems feel free to pm.

Is that one that takes AK MAGS!?  :shock: If so how well do they work? Did you have to do anything special to the sgworks stock?

What is the OAL of that beauty?
They'll tell you black is really white, the moon is just the sun at night, and when you walk in golden halls, you get to keep the gold that falls, its HEAVEN AND HELL.

jdk32581

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 09:47:58 PM »
**WARNING**  When you get your stock and start to assemble it, DO NOT, and I can't stress this enough, force anything. If it's tight, find out why and FIX it. The Dremel is your best friend. Do not force any screws either. You will strip the inserts. If you don't like how the mags load, contact us, we have a fix for that also. It's called the G5 mag adapter. Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch guys, but we do have a fix for the mags and the clearance issue behind the pistol grip.
Marcus

Have my dremel ready to go. Any areas specifically I should look for if things are tight? Like common areas in need of fitting?

Just ordered your G5 and mags a few days ago. Will be shipping you my mags to be modified and bolt to be modified tomorrow.