Author Topic: Century ChiCom Type 56 SKS  (Read 2618 times)

harb7676

• SKS Marksman
Century ChiCom Type 56 SKS
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:43:49 PM »
Well I have been admiring the recent SKS's of other board members and considered ordering one. However I contacted one of my LGS's and they had some in stock. I figured hand selection was the best option. Got an excellent rifle for a fair price. All numbers matching including the stock. Except for the gas tube itself which is of a different serial. The gun is overall in good shape a some bluing wear worse in some places like around the muzzle. The stock has some dings but, no cracks. There is an interesting amount of bluing wear on top of the topcover that I uploaded a picture of. Im sure someone with copious amounts of knowledge could tell me. It is funny because this rifle is in better shape than some of the commercial chicoms that someone beat to hell and trys to sell for 425 at fun shows. The sling bracket is underneath the buttstock. No cleaning kit but has rod and blade bayo.

Next part. While I was at the store I had the opportunity to inspect multiple other rifles. Most interesting thing I saw was a definite Yugo stock with Chicom parts. The stock didn't fit the forward barrel bracket as well as the stock being the distinct yellow/tan of the Yugo sks's. I really think this came from the same area that those Type 53 Mosin Nagants came from. The stocks of both my Type 53 and Type 56 both had the same ashy grey that was actually just dirt.

Very happy with my purchase. Enjoy!

Type 56 and 53

weird topcover fading.

BecauseSKS

• SKS Newbie
Re: Century ChiCom Type 56 SKS
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:43:06 AM »
Very nice, I have two on the way as well. I have a Viet bring-back type 53 that needs some friends :)

apachedawg

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:08:39 PM »
That's very nice. I really like the T53. I have 3 of them myself.
I'm an atheist. I don't believe in Zeus!

lmc8541

• Rio Grande Mud
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 02:29:59 PM »
mine has that same receiver cover wear pattern.
Deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his Rifle.

harb7676

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:33:50 PM »
Thanks guys!

Yea I can't really figure out why the top cover is like that.

RANGE UPDATE: Getting great groups at 50 yards. Really impressed with it!

bumthum

• SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
Yea I can't really figure out why the top cover is like that.

That is a common pattern on SKSs with thin or almost completely worn bluing (particularly on Chinese though).  IIRC someone with a background in metallurgy determined that it was likely due to heat treating (or other hardening) on the part.  The ends of the part are hardened the middle is not.  Apparently, these are machined prior to hardening and because of the bearing surfaces would be more affected by warping if the whole thing was hardened in a heat treat oven.  I am not a machinist or a metallurgist so I cannot attest to the truth of it but I do have a little background in engineering and that does seem plausible as an explanation.

lmc8541

• Rio Grande Mud
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 02:56:04 PM »
that sounds more than reasonable. my thought was that it could have been from movement by a securing strap latch around rifles in storage.
Deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his Rifle.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »
I seem to see the discolored receiver covers more often on Russian vs Chinese SKS rifles.  Dunno?

harb7676

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
That is a common pattern on SKSs with thin or almost completely worn bluing (particularly on Chinese though).  IIRC someone with a background in metallurgy determined that it was likely due to heat treating (or other hardening) on the part.  The ends of the part are hardened the middle is not.  Apparently, these are machined prior to hardening and because of the bearing surfaces would be more affected by warping if the whole thing was hardened in a heat treat oven.  I am not a machinist or a metallurgist so I cannot attest to the truth of it but I do have a little background in engineering and that does seem plausible as an explanation.

Makes sense. I am excited to see more from this shipment.

I found a star in my stock!

bumthum

• SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 08:54:57 PM »
I found a star in my stock!

Good grab, its original Chinese then!

harb7676

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 11:28:01 AM »
Good grab, its original Chinese then!