Author Topic: How can a 60 year old rifle be "never fired"? Newbie question...  (Read 853 times)

baD mR fRosTy

• SKS Newbie
How can a 60 year old rifle be "never fired"? Newbie question...
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:42:00 PM »
Hi,

This site has been a great find...

I am new to the SKS world, and bought one sight unseen last week from a mom & pop shop here in Canada ($180) because I wanted a center-fire (my first) to add to my Ruger 10/22, and a friend recommended a military surplus. He has a very cool .303 British Lee Enfield, but I wanted a semi-auto.

My question is regarding the idea of a "never been fired"/as-issued Russian SKS. Is there such a thing...like the rilfe was only used for marching (?), or does that mean never fired since it was refurbished? I thought that ALL these old 1950's models had been "used"?

I have checked out the site pretty good, and I believe I have a nice TULA 1951(r), un-refurbished, reddish stock, matching serial numbers rifle (albeit with a Canadian 5-round riveted mag and the strange "gold" bayonet), which I really love...and I'm happy with the rilfe, although I have yet to visit the range with it.

So how does one know if they have a "never been fired" SKS?
Would it "look like new"? This one has some slight wear, although the barrel looks very very clean inside. Are there tell-tale marks indicating how much "wear" the barrel has? Could it still be a "collectable" rilfe even if fired? Or does the 5-round Canadian mag kinda spoil that? I love it either way, I am just curious.
Please forgive the odd question...like I said, I though they had ALL been fired?

Oh...I DID look for the "say hello" thread...I'm John from Nova Scotia...

:-)

noytaCCCP

• SKS Marksman
    • My red rifle trio
Re: How can a 60 year old rifle be "never fired"? Newbie question...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 10:44:30 PM »
I have an unfired, non-refurbished 1951 here in Ontario -- the real deal.  So yes, it is possible, but not common.

I also have a non-refurbished, VERY mildly used 1954 as well. I can tell by the state of the bolt and carrier, as well as gas piston, whether or not they have been fired.

BTW, gold bayonets are not that uncommon, and are likely the result of cosmoline and 60+ years of storage.
Born to ride, shoot, and womanize (in that order!) :)

baD mR fRosTy

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 11:06:18 PM »
Hiya..., Thanks for the quick reply - that's what I thought perhaps about the bayonet. But then, you would expect to see some that were "partly" discoloured...unless the discolouration happens pretty much at once? My wife says it looks like varnish...but I'm not keen on trying to scrape it off. But it DOES look like some sort of "patina/aging", yep.

So, did you buy yours as an "unfired"? And so you're going to keep it that way?

I must admit, I never even THOUGHT about "collecting" such a surplus rifle, lol, until I started reading about their relative rarity...except that's just in the US I think. Eiother way, I'm gonna be firing this one - the stock is not "mint", that's for sure.

I am assuming, noytaCCCP, that it would be no simple matter for us to sell one of these to someone south of the border? Permits required, licenses etc? Other wise I guess we'd all be trying it, since they seem to pay more down there.

I won't quit my day job to become a SKS dealer!

noytaCCCP

• SKS Marksman
    • My red rifle trio
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
You answered your own questions. The gold will scrape off, but it's a PITA, and you'll do more harm than good. Leave it the way it is, and go out and enjoy it.

Yes, my '51 and '54 are safe queens, the rest get used and abused.  They are NOT rare in the least up here.
Born to ride, shoot, and womanize (in that order!) :)

Beermaker

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »
As a fellow Canuk I thought I would chime in with my 2 cents worth.
I would find it very unlikely that anyone would find an sks that, with the exception of proofing, has never been fired.  Some may have low use maybe and haven't been through battle service like the trusty Lee Enfields.  Chrome parts, chrome lined bores and great North American marketing and hype may contribute to near prestine weapons.  I think we are lucky up here to be able to get the bulk of the Russian surplus due to US import regulations.  This and the relative low key profile of the sks, up here anyways, has kept our prices around the $200 mark.

If you want to collect sks's so you can have one of every year, manufacturing plant or country of origin you certainly can.  Wether the value of this fine rifle will climb to the likes of collectable coins who knows.  We certainly have fewer places up here to be able to make our firearm purchases compared to the US.

When I checked out my 53 Tula it was in excellent shape.  A refurb as indicated by the mark on the body cover and a stock that had 2 sets of XX out sn's.  The rifling was clean a crisp and after 2000 rds it is still clean a crisp. As for selling our Russians to our American brothers, you may want to watch Border Wars for tips on hidding contraban in your car first :lol:

Now there are surplus rifles out there that are "new"  but you have to look for Polish M44's.
Stress - The result of having to control the urge and not choke the S*&% out of someone who desperately needs it.

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 11:57:02 PM »
i'd bed brake parts cleaner would clean that bayo in seconds.

magnut

• SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 01:26:41 AM »
I would hope they have all been at least test fired.

Jeff2/142

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 01:51:34 AM »
There is no such thing as unfired rifles.....of any sort.  That's a safety issue.
Looking for retro Colt 3x20 or 4x20 scopes, as well as Israeli Eya1 or Beeman ss2's.  PM me.  :)

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 07:47:20 AM »
For some reason some people seem to have a mission to scream that there is no such thing as unfired. This is just not the case. In Russia and In China these rifles were mass produced in extremely large numbers. They were completed, visabilly inspected, dipped in cosmo, crated and straight to storage. This was 1950s communist countries there were no lawyers to sue over safety issues.  :roll:
Myself and many others have owned these rifles. They are unfired and there is no sign of test firing or use. Will you find these in the USA?  Only from a collector who has held it since the late 1980s. We are again seeing these rifles in Canada as these crates are being received from storage from the 1950s.

John- To recginize these rifles- There will be no marks or color on the bolt head, The bolt rails will hae nearly no marks. The stock cartouches will be sharp. There will be no powder residue on the crown or the chamber. The lans and groves will be sharp and bright. the hammer will hae mo silver color at the striking point aganist the fp. 

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »
Hell, I'm 62 and I've never been fired... :) :)

sheepdog

• Big Money Griff
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Damn skippy !
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 09:53:11 AM »
You must be one uptight sumb*t*h. :confused2:
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE.

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 10:17:27 AM »
You must be one uptight sumb*t*h. :confused2:

:) Wound tighter than a cheap watch... :)

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
For some reason some people seem to have a mission to scream that there is no such thing as unfired. This is just not the case. In Russia and In China these rifles were mass produced in extremely large numbers. They were completed, visabilly inspected, dipped in cosmo, crated and straight to storage. This was 1950s communist countries there were no lawyers to sue over safety issues.  :roll:
Myself and many others have owned these rifles. They are unfired and there is no sign of test firing or use. Will you find these in the USA?  Only from a collector who has held it since the late 1980s. We are again seeing these rifles in Canada as these crates are being received from storage from the 1950s.

John- To recginize these rifles- There will be no marks or color on the bolt head, The bolt rails will hae nearly no marks. The stock cartouches will be sharp. There will be no powder residue on the crown or the chamber. The lans and groves will be sharp and bright. the hammer will hae mo silver color at the striking point aganist the fp.

even before ww2 all russian weapons were proof fired.  I'm pretty sure the post ww2 russians did it too.

it may be ALMOST unfired, but thats like being almost unpregnant.
guns be funs

combloc64

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »
communist production was not based on supply and demand. quotas were set and people were placed in sometimes make work jobs to provide employment to all. on some USSR SKS there are over 24 separate inspector marks just on the bolt! I suggest these inspectors had make work jobs. also there are SKS that were made and immediately put into storage. (whether or not they were test fired, they were put into storage right after they were made.) They were put into storage because there was no demand for them.So that is how some SKS have come to collectors in the cosmolene straight from years of storage. You can understand more about guns if you also consider the facts of history during the time in which they were made.

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »
guys if the soviets had the time and effort to proof fire Mosins during the darkest days of WW2 (1941-1943) I bet they found time to do it in the 1950s.  if they weren't needed and were going to go into storage, that means the soviets had even more incentive to test fire and proof them as there was no rush.
guns be funs