Author Topic: SKS for SHTF?  (Read 4838 times)

stocklt

• SKS Plinker
SKS for SHTF?
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
How many here endorse the  SKS for this ?and reasons for why

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: SKS for SHTF?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
A good choice.  Easy to use, dependable with a wide variety of ammo, ammo is commonly available, not too light/not too heavy, accurate at most normal shooting distances, easy to carry ammo on stripper clips, affordable.  Did I leave anything out?

99dodge318

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:01:44 AM »
Oh you forgot that you have to clean the immediately after a gun fight or they will start to rust! Lol :banghead:

lastmaninzombiewar

• SKS Shooter
SKS for SHTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
Sorry I don't know what you are referring do about rusting.  I have owned Russians, Chinese, and Yugos and found them to be well machined and no more rust prone than any other firearm.  But yes the sks is a great choice for the above reasons.  They are great rifles.  If you factor in tactical upgrades like replacement stocks and removable magazines you really get a poor mans Assault rifle.  But given they have been going up, in price along with everything else you could say not so poor mans rifle.
That what does not kill us, makes us stronger.
5.56,7.62x39.6.8,22lr,9mm,9x18,.45,30carb
http://lastmaninzombiewar.wordpress.com/

wolfgang2000

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:29:42 PM »
I believe that the SKS is a excellent weapon for most situations including SHTF /TEOTWAWKI.  It's simple, reliable, the round packs a punch, and   accessories (magazines) aren't needed for it to function properly.   

To the horror of some I DO recommend a synthetic stock for long term durability.  It doesn't have to be a tactcool stock, it can be a simple Monte Carlo, or a "jungle" stock.  They just hold up better than a wood stock.   

The first thing to go on any field weapon with a wood stock, IS the stock.  Sorry guys It's just the truth. 
“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.”  Evan Marshall

CamoDeafie

• Deceitful Seller
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 02:45:03 PM »
and centuries of armies using wood stocked weapons just fine and a few decades of the SKS being in jungle environments and humid mountain environments and they seem to be OK...... other than the whole issue of cleaning the exterior metal..... and you think synthetic stocks is the end all, be all for field weapons? I mean, OK I understand the reasoning, but to summarily dismiss the wood stuff just because the modern militaries are using synthetic stocks and dismiss centuries of evidence that wood stocks are OK for weapons....smacks of "snobbery" to me.
sbtactical.wordpress.com
-custom SKS gear pouches

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
Oh you forgot that you have to clean the immediately after a gun fight or they will start to rust! Lol :banghead:

Only if it's a Yugo and you shoot corrosive primed milsurp ammo.

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »
I don't think adding a synthetic stock option in necessarily snobbery, it can be a practical alternative.  I'm guessing the Chinese came up with the phenolic stock for high moisture/humid environments to overcome the propensity of wood to rot once the protective finish was compromised.  And in a shtf situation I'm not so sure I, personally, would be making a periodic application of a coat of tru oil a priority.  Again, just an opinion, not a pronouncement.  YMMV.

DoubleNaughtSpy

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »
My SKS is my SHTF rifle. Which is why I decided to leave it mostly stock instead of tactical. Just grab the rifle and a bandolier of strippers, don't get much simpler than that.

Plus it's a durable reliable rifle.

And in the event that SHTF is  a zombie invasion. Umm built in bayonet! Yes please. And AR guys can talk about accuracy all day long I'll put my wood stock SKS buttplate zombie head to zombie head with any AR. pfft who needs accuracy  :)

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Just plain beautiful!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
I completely agree that replacing the wood furniture with plastic is an upgrade for a rifle that will be used as a complete tool for an un-determined amount of time. As long as it is N0T a folder or a T6, these types will break and strip out with abnormal use. a nice ATI Monte Carlo or Chaote, butler creek conventional will suffice greatly. You all must remember that SHTF does not mean an extra hour on the range, it means you can die in 5 minutes, 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months or 5 years. Your choice gun has got to be able to handle the abuses of being both a firearm and a tool without you running back to the garage to fix a scratch or apply tru-oil and lube. In SHTF, that pointless BS has no place. I do not mean to say that wood is inferior because I am one of the stubborn bastages that thinks wood, steel and leather make a true firearm but if you have the option to do away with the extra negatives of worrying about wood damage then why not?

The SKS in my opinion is the best SHTF choice even better than the AK, everything the SKS needs is on the rifle and you don't have to hope Aim still has mags and they'll ship to your bug out cave all while the world is lawless and death is everywhere.
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

washburnizer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 05:08:22 PM »
The SKS would be a welcome addition to any post SHTF collection. Rugged, dependable, most are equipped with a bayonet, commonly used ammo, ammo is relatively cheap compared with similar cartridges so easy to stock up pre shtf, no mags to worry about (assuming use of internal 10 rounder), accurate enough to get the job done at "battle distances", great for hunting, ect...

I'd give slight edge to the AK, becasue of capacity of the mags, even though they are not internal like on the SKS. Of course I do trust 20 round tapco aftermarket mags, so capacity becomes less of an issue if one goes that route.

You'll never here anyone post SHTF say, "I wish we DIDN'T have this SKS and 1000 rounds of steel case ammo."  :)
Guns are tools.
Buy it cheap, and stack it deep.

wasrNwarpaint

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »
inexpensive rifle, cheap ammo, bayonet, accuracy for battle distance, 75rnd drum and can convert to full auto in 30 min

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Just plain beautiful!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
inexpensive rifle, cheap ammo, bayonet, accuracy for battle distance, 75rnd drum and can convert to full auto in 30 min
I'll get your back on the FA thing so the boards police don't pollute this thread. In SHTF there will be no FA restrictions!!!!
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

Aloysius

• SKS Marksman
  • Give some, Get some
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
Yes, for one simple reason:
I can outfit my entire family, and friends family, with a couple left over, for only a few grand.
Goodluck

DON'T SAY NAZI!

Yugofan85

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
Its a great SHTF weapon. No mags to lose, ultra reliable, accurate enough, semi auto, just enough capacity for getting yourself out of trouble if you are being attacked by looters, easy to clean and break down, if you lose the stripper clips, you can just hand load the thing.  its also easy to teach someone how to use it in about an hour.