Author Topic: SKS for SHTF?  (Read 4837 times)

irishflyer97

• SKS Newbie
Re: SKS for SHTF?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »
The light recoil, easy handling, and bat-snot simple construction make it a shooter for everyone in the family.  I also have a Kel Tec SU-16, but I am thinking my recent SKS purchase could over take that on SHTF reliability ...

capt.koolaid

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 10:21:24 PM »
The SKS was made (designed) during a not so great time in history, For a not so great environment. So...I think its ideal for a SHTF weapon. It works, all the time, every time, (when unmolested) and always has a bayonet, magazine, cleaning rod, and kit with it all the time. nothing to forget, or loose. Its fixed mag allows you to prone out VERY flat, and is easily topped off (turn it upside down an feed as needed), and with GOOD stripper clips its pretty fast to reload. The ammo is cheap and really packs a wallop, and that rotten wood stock makes one hell of a bludgeon. I haven't noticed the Chinese Chu wood to swell and effect accuracy in the humidity of south Florida summers, and I've heard it did ok in south east Asia but if plastics your thing well...YOU GO WITH YA BAD SELF! I don't think id be trying to make it full auto even if it were legal (10 rounds? really?) but it is fun bumpfiring with 20 rounders and for a weapon designed to be semi only it sure seems to like spewing lead. Still I'm hesitant to rely on something not designed for full auto to mimic it in a SHTF scenario.
Leave the gun...take the cannoli

Aloysius

• SKS Marksman
  • Give some, Get some
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »
The SKS was made (designed) during a not so great time in history
HAHA!!!!  Agreed!
It was designed for the post-apocalyptic "Fall of Kingdoms" era.  1/4th of the earth's population or 35 million people died, a large ethnic group virtually annihilated, many country were dissected in strange new ways, and one country was partially vaporized by nuclear weapons.

On top of that!  It bested the M1 carbine in Korea, was used to great effect in Vietnam, and still serves in the Sandbox.  New Front, same gun.

How much SH*T has to hit the fan before a SHTF scenario comes into effect?
I think this weapon will serve just fine in any circumstance possible.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 11:23:51 PM by Aloysius »

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Just plain beautiful!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 11:12:33 PM »
HAHA!!!!  Agreed!
It was designed for the post-apocalyptic "Fall of Kingdoms" era.  1/4th of the earth's population or 35 million people died, a large ethnic group virtually annihilated, many country were dissected in strange new ways, and one country was partially vaporized by nuclear weapons.

On top of that!  It bested the M1 carbine in Korea, slaughtering our marines, was used to great effect in Vietnam, and still serves in the Sandbox.  New Front, same gun.

there is no known documentation of the SKS during the Korean war.
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

Aloysius

• SKS Marksman
  • Give some, Get some
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 11:19:59 PM »
I stand corrected.

Red_Green

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 11:38:44 PM »
Here is a nice Youtube video that explains this nicely...

"Which budget Semi-auto rifle to choose before SHTF! And it's not what everyone else is saying..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE1j_IDf0FQ
"Quando omni flunkus moritati"
(When all else fails, play dead)

crazy4milsurps

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Just plain beautiful!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 11:59:03 PM »
I stand corrected.
Myself and many others have put in a lot of time and effort and not one piece of evidence proves the SKS was used in that war. Hell, in 50,51,52 and 53 the Russian were still using the Mosin Nagant as their issued battle rifle even though the SKS and AK were in production. It would have been impossible to arm their own force with the SKS and the NK and Chinese.
"If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. We are the last stand!" -Ronald Reagan

We murdered Gaddafi!!!

Booming Sooner

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »
It's a great combat weapon.  I'd like to hear any argument against that.  My two weapons, should I have to 'run to the hills' are an AK and an AR but I have to think that an SKS, as issued would be totally great in the bottom line.
If the busses can't run on time, why can you carry a gun?

magnut

• SKS Guru
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 03:12:14 AM »
It dempends how much SHTF.  If its really bad I want a hell of a lot more than 10 rounds in between reloads.  Maybe an AK with a couple of drums and 40 round mags.  Or even a tricked out SKS with a bunch of magazines and stripper clips.  If you modify an SKS right and use the right products its one of the most versitile rifles out there.

If its mild SHTF...stock SKS is fine.

Location is pretty big as well.  I would feel undergunned if the SHTF in an urban area.  If I live out in the sticks its a different story.

Yugofan85

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 05:39:12 AM »
Yeah my idea of that scenario would be extreme disaster, no power for a while, little to no food for a bit. kinda like sandy or katrina. An earthquake would do it in my area. my "shtf gun" is more to fend off violent individuals looking to break into the house or hurt me in some way. I dont see myself getting into any crazy red dawn scenario at all. i live out in the sticks. sks is fine for what id need.

roadking rider

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 08:32:23 AM »
I think it's a very good SHTF carbine. That's why I bought it. It's a great reliable rifle that is built like a tank, and the ammo is fairly inexpensive.

Romanian1

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
HAHA!!!!  Agreed!

On top of that!  It bested the M1 carbine in Korea, slaughtering our marines, was used to great effect in Vietnam, and still serves in the Sandbox.  New Front, same gun.

If not the sks what was the most common rifle used by the North Koreans and the Chinese in the Korean war?

bumthum

• SKS Guru
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 09:48:10 AM »

Um...  I call shenanigans!  I saw an episode of MASH years ago and Hawkey was taken prisoner by a NK with an SKS.  A left-wing TV show like MASH wouldn't get history wrong would it?  Of course not!

If not the sks what was the most common rifle used by the North Koreans and the Chinese in the Korean war?

The Mosin Nagant (various forms) was very common as was the PPSH submachinegun.  Neither country had access to the SKS during the period of open conflict there (since the war has never actually ended).  Our guys saw Chinese and NK armed with all manner of captured German equipment as well.

jeffy_ssd

• SKS Expert
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 07:16:13 PM »
The detachable box magazine is a force multiplier against a 10 shot rifle......more rounds between reloads and a way faster reload time against a stripper clip.  While a dependable fire arm, there is a reason why it is not a front line rifle and has been replaced as the go to gun for any military anywhere on the planet.  In short, someone with a 30 rd mag will put more lead on you, out manouver you while you are seeking cover and take your position.

Yugofan85

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »
The detachable box magazine is a force multiplier against a 10 shot rifle......more rounds between reloads and a way faster reload time against a stripper clip.  While a dependable fire arm, there is a reason why it is not a front line rifle and has been replaced as the go to gun for any military anywhere on the planet.  In short, someone with a 30 rd mag will put more lead on you, out manouver you while you are seeking cover and take your position.
good point. for practical homestead defense, it definately fits the bill for a lot of people. Sure there are better choices, but its "good enough" if thats all ya got a i suppose.