Author Topic: S&W SDVE 9MM  (Read 2565 times)

mnm

• SKS Newbie
S&W SDVE 9MM
« on: November 23, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
Quick question...does anyone have any feedback on these? They seem reasonably priced...and we are looking for 2 new 9mm...

washburnizer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Re: S&W SDVE 9MM
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 05:17:02 PM »
As reliable as a Glock 17 or 19. Only negative I've found, is the trigger pull is pretty long/heavy. This can be remedied I've been told. I prefer to just adapt to it. Great shooting pistols.
Guns are tools.
Buy it cheap, and stack it deep.

Flowmaster

• SKS Sniper
    • thoughts on guns: my blog
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:35:37 AM »
Remember the S&W Sigma SW9VE? The SDVE appears to be the same gun with a few cosmetic upgrades. Apparently the sights and trigger are better (according to people on smith-wessonforum) but the guns really look the same and probably share a bunch of the parts.

The Sigma has gotten a bad reputation over the years. This may be S&W's way of distancing themselves from the Sigma name while still selling a very similar product. Its like when they freshen up a car model. They might change the headlights and keep on selling it for a few years more. A light refresh is a cheap way for a company to sell the same product without spending as much as they would if they were to design something new from scratch.
Collector of inexpensive pocket pistols.

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 02:58:36 AM »
The SDVE is an obsolete relic of S&Ws checkered autopistol past and a reminder of why Glock became the the dominant polymer striker-fired law enforcement pistol of choice - usurping S&W's decades of dominance in that arena.

The more expensive M&P is the rosy future of S&W and their come-back autopistol that has played to near universal applause from everyone including LE.

The price of the SDVE is very attractive due to that fact that over the years that is basically the ONLY way they could sell any of the Sigmas and their made-over new variants. Originally they were priced with Glock - and sat in stores gathering dust. Police departments avoided them like the plague. Resale was really bad as a couple of friends of mine can attest. Losing $100 on a 2-week-old one (and weirdly glad to do that in the end.)
$120 or so is the difference I would guess - with the resale value of the M&P narrowing that apparent gap significantly, if factored in.

So you would have to decide if you want a functional 9mm at a good price with a crappy trigger pull and can ignore the voice in the back of your head that will tell you that you went second-rate on your stopgap obsolete polymer Smith every time you see an M&P. Or whether that sort of thing bothers you not one whit. Which is certainly the case with some.
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...

WGSNewnan

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 07:14:57 AM »
First of all the SD is not a sigma. It is not an upgraded Sigma in any sense but yet a downgraded SD. Different sear block assembly etc. not even close to being the same gun. all they did was discontinue the sigma series, they left off the fancy coatings and the front night site on the SD. what do you have left - a value edition SD - NOT A SIGMA!

Good gun, not as good as the m&p but a good gun none the less. a bargain for 300.00 bucks.
NOVEMBER CAME,
NOTHING CHANGED,
Now Shut Up and Bend Over -
This Is Gonna Hurt!

WGSNewnan

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 07:22:44 AM »

NOVEMBER CAME,
NOTHING CHANGED,
This Is Gonna Hurt!

Turbogeo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Russian 54' Izzy
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
What the S&W SDVE 9MM is;
1. A gun that works and will go BANG everytime you pull the trigger.
2. A gun that has an 8lbs trigger that's hard to pull, some have mastered it.
3. A economy S&W model.
4. A gun that will be hard to recover a fair amount of invested money should you decide to sell it/them.

What the S&W SDVE 9MM is NOT;
1. A gun that has a good after market following for customizing.
2. A gun that will be fun to shoot after 200+ rounds in one range session due to trigger pull fatigue.
3. The best that S&W offers.
4. A gun that will have a ton of available replacement parts in 10-20 years after the model has been replaced in the S&W line up.

I Think that there are other guns in the top tier (S&W M&P, Springfield XD and Glock G19, G17) that are priced from $50-$100 more that will frankly be around longer a far as replacement parts support both factory and aftermarket.

If you are  looking for a gun(s) that will come out of the safe once or twice a year for a night at the shooting range and used as a possible HD gun then the SDVE will work for you but if you want to go shooting with the boys a few times a month and stay up with the latest fads and have a gun that will be supported for years to come get a GLOCK, 8).....my $.02

My brother and I bought our handguns on the same day at the same store back in 1989. He bought an S&W 5906 and I bought a Glock 17, if we both needed magazines or say replace a firing pin who could be back in action faster....enough said.
Live free or die trying!

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
We bought 2 SW9VE at a gun show. They were terrible out of the box. Both prone to jamming. You had to strip the top off to unjam it. Sharon hated hers, mine wasn't much better, but would jam less. And this was after we put 500 rounds through each of them in one day. Boxed em back up, went to the next gun show and unloaded them for a 50.00 loss on each. I was happy to get rid of them. I then bought a Beretta PX4 Storm and haven't looked back. The Beretta has never jammed.  Just my .02cents worth.
Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

Xmilkk

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 12:27:02 PM »
WGS could you label the pics? I'm curious to which is a Sigma and which is the newer SD/V? I had a chance to buy one during the ban years and did not. It was a .40 cal with stainless slide and the mags were 10 rds per. He wanted 300 and was going to throw in some ammo and I believe he had reloading dies for it. He might still have it for all I know.

Turbogeo

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Russian 54' Izzy
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 01:02:03 PM »
WGS could you label the pics? I'm curious to which is a Sigma and which is the newer SD/V? I had a chance to buy one during the ban years and did not. It was a .40 cal with stainless slide and the mags were 10 rds per. He wanted 300 and was going to throw in some ammo and I believe he had reloading dies for it. He might still have it for all I know.

The Sigma is the gun with the Stainless steel slide, in the top picture the frame on the left.
Live free or die trying!

WGSNewnan

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »
Im gonna sum this up for the OP.

1. Great gun for the money.
2. Too early for aftermarket support although apex is now on board.
3. Isnt the best S&W has to offer but isnt priced to be either.
4. It is in NO WAY a sigma and any posts from others who cant or wont take the time to differentiate should be ignored.

ive seen them for 306.00 lately. You would be hard pressed to find a better weapon for the money. The apex kit for it is 19.00 and makes a huge difference in the trigger pull. Bringing it down to 5.5 lbs and smooths it out. For a total investment of 350.00, you could have a gun that will compete with any other offering from Glock, SA, or S&W for less money.

NOVEMBER CAME,
NOTHING CHANGED,
This Is Gonna Hurt!

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 01:37:44 PM »
As reliable as a Glock 17 or 19. Only negative I've found, is the trigger pull is pretty long/heavy. This can be remedied I've been told. I prefer to just adapt to it. Great shooting pistols.

Well..... not exactly; The materials are nowhere near as good as those used in the Glocks, and the operation of the pistol , to my knowledge, has not yet been tested to anywhere even close to what the 9mm Glocks have suffered  though the last 28 years.....

If you really want an S&W, spend just a bit more, and get an M &P; it's twice the pistol.
Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

WGSNewnan

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »

Well..... not exactly; The materials are nowhere near as good as those used in the Glocks, and the operation of the pistol , to my knowledge, has not yet been tested to anywhere even close to what the 9mm Glocks have suffered  though the last 28 years.....

If you really want an S&W, spend just a bit more, and get an M &P; it's twice the pistol.
would you mind identifying just which materials are superior?
NOVEMBER CAME,
NOTHING CHANGED,
This Is Gonna Hurt!

ranger1968

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »

Sure, the polymer and the steel are both a better grade..... that Glock poly is proprietary, and as good as it gets, with the track record to prove it; as is the steel, which is some of the finest steel used in any firerarm, anywhere.

Show me an SDVE with 200,00 or 300,000 rounds through it that has been used hard, carried a lot, and generally abused that holds up the way a Glock 17 with that sort of usage has.....

Proudly making the world a safer place, one dirtbag at a time....

WGSNewnan

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »

Sure, the polymer and the steel are both a better grade..... that Glock poly is proprietary, and as good as it gets, with the track record to prove it; as is the steel, which is some of the finest steel used in any firerarm, anywhere.

Show me an SDVE with 200,00 or 300,000 rounds through it that has been used hard, carried a lot, and generally abused that holds up the way a Glock 17 with that sort of usage has.....
i was just wondering. when i read your post it sounded as if you had some specific info and i was just inquiring. ill have to talk to my S&W rep and ask if the poly is the same as the M&P. i presume it is but who knows. Ill also ask about the stainless slide. It seems to me S&W has had a storied history of firearms using stainless. ill report back when i find out.

i also wouldnt expect to find one with 2-300k rounds through it. Its only been around for a few months now. Ill ask if they have done any torture testing also.
NOVEMBER CAME,
NOTHING CHANGED,
This Is Gonna Hurt!