Author Topic: Chinese vs Yugo  (Read 800 times)

leedom1

• SKS Newbie
Chinese vs Yugo
« on: January 02, 2013, 02:14:18 PM »
Greetings.

I'm new to the board.

Although looking at my first SKS, I've collected other mil surp for 2 years.

I'm interested in a  VG Yugo for $325 vs a Chinese for $385. Both with matching numbers.

The Yugo is local, looks very nice.

The Chinese has the typical beat-up stock, but no cracks.

It looks better than most Chinese I've seen, but nothing like the Yugo.

I know the Chinese is more collectible, but I get cold feet when I consider paying ~$400 for a SKS in this condition.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

notabiker

• SKS Marksman
Re: Chinese vs Yugo
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
i bought a new YUGO SKS , love it. i also bought a  1959 chinese SKS that turners is selling right now from Albania. the stock is in very poor condition. after shooting the older SKS i sold it.  if you could find a very nice older SKS i would buy it. if you only want 1 SKS and you are not a collector a nice YUGO is a good choice.

Pflug

• SKS Guru
  • SKS CLIP
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »
Actually a Yugo will tend to be more collectable than most Chinese- probably 20 times as many Chinese SKSs in the US

Some of the Yugos were imported in rough shape, more important than other varieties to check the condition of the bore and gas system of the individual rifle but the nice looking rifles are usually very nice

The Yugos used a hammer forged barrel- the manufacturing process hardens the steel and creates a bore resistant to wear but tends to rust more easily on neglected rifles than the chrome lined bores from other countries
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 04:09:43 PM by Pflug »
If you don't know, shut yer hole

scarymike23

• A Sawhorse Is A
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • This argument needs more pie.
    • Alternate History War Film!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »
Not sure what variety of Yugo you're looking at but it's probably an M59/66 or M59/66A1. If it's a bonafide M59 then jump on it, but make sure it's a real M59 and not one of the cut down M59/66s that were being passed off as an M59.

If the Yugo is an M59/66A1 the see if you can talk the price of the Chinese back from $385 (which seems high). The bores of the majority of all Yugos are not chrome lined whereas Chinese generally do so the Chinese will give you a more durable, easy to clean bore. Also Yugo M59/66 type SKSes have the additional hardware around the gas valve, which provides the potential for failure (though that rarely seems to be a show stopper and is generally easily dealt with). The M59/66 Yugos are heavier in the front. And you probably won't see many (if any) more Chinese entering the market anytime soon. Those C&R ones that came in recently were the first for a while. Yugos are still coming in to an extent.

If $385 is the price for the Chinese no matter what, get the Yugo. $325 isn't a bad price at the moment and they're good guns.
для родины!

Первые оружеиные заводы в туле

Brbdwyr

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »
It's not every rifle that boasts a grenade laucher.    :)  Just sayin'.
"Guy (OO) is a scum-bag and my entire Admin staff at xxxx have unanimously banned him from our site." MCR, 9-30-14

"Just because you are wrong does not mean you do not have have every right to profess your incorrectness loudly." lafeyettegregory, 2013

leedom1

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:55:54 PM »
Appreciate the input.

Yes, the Yugo is a M59/66.

sheepdog

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BIG MONEY GRIFF
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »
Though I prefer the Chinese that price is too high. $325 for a nice Yugo seems like the better deal.
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

skstriggerhappy

• SKS Marksman
  • Home of the "Socom 91/30"
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 08:39:05 PM »
pretty sure the chinese has a chrome-lined barrel aswell no idea on the yugo ive never messed with one

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 08:45:18 PM »
Condition, condition, condition.  A better condition Yugo for a lower price than a Chinese is a no-brainer.

87iroc

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »
pretty sure the chinese has a chrome-lined barrel aswell no idea on the yugo ive never messed with one

Yes, Chinese has chrome lined. From what I now, Yugo's do not.

I disagree with the Yugo being more valuable due to it being more rare...but I've been wrong before and I love my Norinco so I will keep it. :D

Tricolor

• Constitution Supporter
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • 7.62mm МЕТАК
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 10:06:22 PM »
If they were the same price and condition, I'd go for the Chinese. But If the Yugo is nicer and cheaper, then it might be a better choice.
"There are collectors, shooters, hunters, bubba, tinkerers, wanna-be's, preppers, machinists, historians, snobs, newbies, etc on the site…All have one thing in common: the SKS" - AKBLUE

leedom1

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »
Think I'm going with the Yugo.

Garycw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 11:12:46 PM »
 Buy them BOTH then decide!  I have a nice yugo,and will never sell  but also 5 norinco's. I almost sold one online , but after getting a offer, I said it sold and took ad off. I love buying them... Hate selling.

geeded

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 01:44:21 AM »
Think I'm going with the Yugo.

Just make certain the bore and gas system are nice.  If corroded, I'd pass.

Cheers
NRA Benefactor Member - The Second Amendment was designed by the founding fathers to give the people a way to protect themselves from the founding fathers.