Author Topic: Decoding my SKS  (Read 717 times)

rws31

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
Decoding my SKS
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:42:36 PM »
Well after ready everything I can find on here I have learned a little about my gun. The serial # on the receiver is 22002XXX and the rest of the parts have matching #'s, 02XXX. Would this be a 1978? Appears to be about that year having a pinned barrel, stamped trigger guard and the rest of the parts match the info for that year range.

To the left of the serial # is DP with 4 Chinese ideographs just like the last set in the post by LESchwartz, at the very bottom. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=11063.0   Anyone know what they mean?

To the right of the serial # it has Norinco/China 7.62X39  Act III Greensboro N.C.

I know a lot more already thanks to this site. Great info on here. Thanks to all who help out. If anyone has any insight on this model please let me know some more.

BallisticGeritol

• SKS Newbie
Re: Decoding my SKS
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 01:21:46 AM »
Hi rws31!

I can't be much help, I'm new to these rifles an still trying to figure out what I have. I just wanted to point out that your DP(m) mark seems to be a prefix in an earlier image in the post you referenced, while the last three characters are the same as all the other Chinese rifles.

cubhead

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »

rws31

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
Yes sir, that is where I got the info from. I guess the most curious thing was the 4 Chinese ideographs. Didn't know if they meant anything special or not.

cubhead

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 01:20:24 PM »
Most of those are factory codes, where the gun was made. If you post a picture, I know you'll get more responses. They love pics here!

tahunua001

• Aperture Laboratories CEO
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • Vote for me, if you want to live.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 05:14:28 PM »
milsurps.com has a thread about sks identification which I found pretty helpful.