Author Topic: Future of AK47's ?  (Read 2225 times)

Garycw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Future of AK47's ?
« on: January 17, 2013, 03:36:08 PM »
I don't remember seeing a 10 round clip for an AK? I'm sure not going to buy a $200 tax stamp for the one bought from dealer? If they don't exist I suppose mfg will start making them pluged or something at bottom like the ak/22's

rich

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Future of AK47's ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 03:50:51 PM »
There are 10rd AK mags.

Not that it matters, but there are ban compliant AK clones.

Garycw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »
Screw that. I hate loading mags after 10 shots. I'm glad the last 30's were only $10 ea. even though I rarely put all 30 in

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »
There are 10rd AK mags.

Not that it matters, but there are ban compliant AK clones.
There certainly are. I bought a Mak 90 brand new in 1994. Came only with the 5 round AK Mags. I have plenty of 30 round mags. But, you know what. I use 5 round mags all the time at the range. I shoot for accuracy
only. I do not shoot 30 rounders for spray and pray. I see little purpose in firing off 30 rounds as fast as some people do and hit few on target. My 30's are basically just for keeping around the house. I bought 5 rounders for my
Mitchell Yugo M70 I bought in 94 also. I really hate to waste ammo so I just keep on adding it to stock. But this is just me and my own way. Saves me a lot on ammo money.

Garycw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »
Good point outlaw. I don't like wasting ammo either. Once you see how fast it can cycle for your own info, what's the use. Any fool can learn to bump fire and shoot up a lot of ammo quick with nothing to show for it but a sore finger. I is usually leave out 3-5 rounds for easier loading. I'll keep my 30's though JIC.

dk.easterly

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Don't Tread on Me
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
30 round mags are for fun and HD, IMO.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for my phone's inability to type what I press.

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies / Resident Asshole
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 06:42:13 PM »
20 round AK mags are my preference, but I also like the 10 round mags for the bench.

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

ratled

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:57:12 PM »
Gary we had a bunch made for us folks in CA.......
Never confuse motion for progress

A tax is a fine for doing good.  A fine is a tax for doing bad

Garycw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 08:36:33 PM »
Gary we had a bunch made for us folks in CA.......
I may pick one up sometime. As far as target shooting or hunting I have other guns for that. The AK is mainly for SD. Although I will do some target shooting just to make sure it's zero'd in. An AK without at least a 20 rnd mag would seem unusual to me.

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:46:42 PM »
Not really. Do you remember the last ban that ended I think in 2004?

Garycw

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 09:05:22 PM »
Not really. Do you remember the last ban that ended I think in 2004?

Yes but I didn't pay much attention to it.

ruston61

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »
If you take those 5 rounders that came with the Mak 90 apart you can shorten the leg on the bottem of the follower,and it becomes a 10 rounder..  Done this to the ones that came with my Mac 90. You can also grind off the bumps on the inside to let the follower come up more and becomes last shot hold open..
Last man standing wins..........

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »
I keep the 5 as is. Only thing you can use here for hunting season. I have done several of my mags for the BHO function.

reks

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 06:10:02 PM »
I don't shoot from a bench much.  It's fine if you're sighting in a new scope or checking zero, but that's about it, imo.  I usually shoot a full 30rd mag of AIMED shots, alternating positions after each mag from standing-kneeling-prone, as quickly as I can while still maintaining accuracy.  I use 30rd mags almost exclusively. I have a 40rd mag that doesn't get used much and a 10rd mag that I use when sighting in a new rifle, other than that its all 30's. (I have a 75rd drum that I bought a couple of years ago for the novelty more than anything, I've never even used it :lol:)

Using 5-10 rounders would waste my time having to reload and change mags.  YMMV

jwperry

• Wake
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • The dolt behind the bolt.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »
I don't shoot from a bench much.  It's fine if you're sighting in a new scope or checking zero, but that's about it, imo.  I usually shoot a full 30rd mag of AIMED shots, alternating positions after each mag from standing-kneeling-prone, as quickly as I can while still maintaining accuracy.  I use 30rd mags almost exclusively. I have a 40rd mag that doesn't get used much and a 10rd mag that I use when sighting in a new rifle, other than that its all 30's. (I have a 75rd drum that I bought a couple of years ago for the novelty more than anything, I've never even used it :lol:)

Using 5-10 rounders would waste my time having to reload and change mags.  YMMV
Seconded.
5-10 round mags would really suck for action shooting sports and defensive/offensive training.
Not legal in California, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, Colorado, Cook County Illinois, Washington DC or Canada.