Author Topic: What's going on with the lack of ammo in stores?  (Read 4197 times)

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
Re: What's going on with the lack of ammo in stores?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 08:32:44 PM »
Could someone please tell me why you can't find ammo (7.62x39, .40, 9mm and 45acp) in stores? The stores here in Southern Maryland can't get the stuff.  Why?

I'm buying it ALL, muwhaahahahaa
You, you, you gouger you.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Barihawk

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »
I was politely asked to leave Academy last night after kicking in a display stand...and empty display stand, mind you. I was told that they had gotten a shipment of 7.62x39 in last night, 185 boxes worth. With 20 of the Tula brand I prefer...I'd only need to buy 5 boxes to enjoy two or three months of decent shooting.

I get there two hours later to see ammo shelves EMPTY. Only a random box of 20 gauge shells. Guy at the desk tells me one guy who looked like Phil Robinson walked in and bought ALL of the 7.62 ammo in one go. 4,000 rounds worth. At once. Hence my sudden need to break something.

The hoarding is ridiculous. It's blatantly dumbasses who respond to the NRA fearmongering and making people who conveniently invested in ammunition companies after Sandy Hook very happy. Wal Mart was empty as well and only yesterday enacted policy restricting ALL ammunition sales to one box per caliber per customer. I'd be happy with that, as I only need a few rounds for hunting boars, but for the fact that nobody has anything.

They are even hoarding .22LR. It's moronic. People buying well more than they need and depriving others of a chance just to function.

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies and Resident Asshole
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
The NRA is not fearmongering, the liberals started this with Fienstein at the lead, plain and simple.  If you didn't prepare for it you only have one person to blame and that person is staring at you in the mirror.

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

Barihawk

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 11:26:53 AM »
Considering that the ammunition for a rifle that is legal in my state and will continue to be so despite any wording of federal legislation, I shouldn't have to prepare for anything. The fact that people are making bucks off of kids getting shot is only rubbing salt into the wound.

If you think it is not fearmongering, look closely. All of the "pro-2nd" rallies in my area have been at local gunshops and ranges offering "discounts" on ammunition. The only people who stand to benefit from this hoarding are the sellers, whether they be shops or hoarders themselves.

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »
The only people who stand to benefit are the people who "knew" what was about to take place after Sandy Hook and bought up everything they could, the fact that they were smarter and more prepared than you is not their fault.  You were not savy enough to know what was going to happen after Sandy Hook and now you are sour grapes.  They made an investment and it is paying off, it is a sellers market.  You probably also have 1/2 dozen eggs, 1/2 gallon of milk and 1/2 loaf of bread in the fridge too and would be crying if during a blizzard you couldn't get your food at the grocery cause they sold out in one hout (just like you figured 200 rounds of ammo was enough), if you are not prepared it is your fault. 

Barihawk

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »
Perhaps, but if you go around buying all the milk, bread, and eggs when a hurricane is coming and then turn around to sell it at jacked up prices to everyone else, you are a jackhole.

Also, I don't any real gun buyer is expecting any one person to buy out entire cities worth of ammunition in one day. I mean, what the hell?

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 03:23:53 PM »
Panoz is right Newbie. The problem is your problem. Everyone like you who did not stock up since 4 years ago  are now running around trying to find and buy ammo. Where have you been for the past few months. The moment a store gets a few thousand rounds in, some one is there to buy it all if they can.

Barihawk

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »
First off, please do not refer to me by my post count. Just because you post more on a forum does not give you any kind of leeway in discussion.

Second, I'm not "running around", I'm just trying to find some plinking stock. I do not intend to stockpile anything. I should not have to buy thousands of rounds just to go fart around once a month at the range. To use Panoz' own argument, is it ok for someone to go into a grocery store before a storm and buy excessive amounts of supplies in order to drive up the price for their own benefit? No, it is not. It's also worth noting that there is no real need to be buying ammunition in great quantities, as no language has been tossed around anyone's bill about restricting the sale of ammo.

Sure, it is my problem. It's the problem of everyone who wants ammunition for hunting, plinking, or self defense. But I'm not entirely at fault. The fact is, one person does not need tens of thousands of rounds unless they are planning on bankrolling their own revolution.

Unfortunately, store policies restricting sales of ammunition are only now just going into effect at major chains in order to protect casual buyers. Probably because Wal Mart and the sporting goods stores are realizing that it's not work bank to have 95% of your customers pissed off at you that 5% are taking all the sales.

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »
Ammunition is a luxury not an essential item.  I hoard ammo, guns AND FOOD AND WATER not to drive up prices but to be prepared.  So if a SHTF or emergency is to arise, I don't have to get into a gunfight to feed my family.  The result of shortages of anything are increased prices, so not only do I have enough ammo to make it through a panic, I have enough food, water, gasoline, propane and generators to make it through a panic.

"Unfortunately, store policies restricting sales of ammunition are only now just going into effect at major chains in order to protect casual buyers. Probably because Wal Mart and the sporting goods stores are realizing that it's not work bank to have 95% of your customers pissed off at you that 5% are taking all the sales."

No, stores are not limiting quantities so you can buy your self defense ammo, stores are limiting purchases because they know that people are buying their stock and re-selling for 4x the price, so now they can raise their price and make the money while limiting the buyers from buying their inventory and profiting.

Barihawk

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »
But how much do you need? My 100 7.62, 100 9mm and 250 .22LR are MORE than enough in any "shtf" scenario to keep me and a small group alive and fed for an incredible length of time. Not to mention most of the "prepping" I do involves community building and actual food harvesting as opposed to game or barter. Not to mention the likeliehood of "shtf" is extremely low unless you live on a munitions dump on a fault line surrounded by broken levees. Nuclear attack is either going to be so complete you are dead anyways, or so scattered that some level of infrastructure will be able to handle evacuations and fallout relief.

What possible use is buying that much ammunition going to do for you? Most trained soldiers never run out of ammo before they either finish the fight or get killed. How do you, someone who has likely never experienced combat, expect to last longer than a few minutes in a sustained firefight?

There is no need to hoard an army's worth of ammunition. And why wait until now? If you are so prepared, surely you bought in bulk months or years ago yourself? The people hoarding now are doing it for profit, pure and simple. If you consider that morally justified or not, they are still being dicks. If you are buying your ammo and plan to use it, I have no problem with you. But Bubba Gump over here in East Texas buying out the entire city of all calibers is surely not for personal use.

Noobie

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 04:12:48 PM »
Same thing happened here @ Walmart.... My buddy emailed me the night prior, advising that they had a bunch of Tul x39, of course they don't open the counter until 7am, so I called the next morning at around 10am....

ALL gone... I Snooze, I loose...  If it was vital that I scored some, I would have been there at 6:30am...
As it turns out, they implemented a (3) box limit that day... so no big loss.

I go out shooting maybe once every couple months, so I merely try to top off what I have and rarely clean the shelves off... The reason I don't, is because I bought a little here & a little there over the last 6 months... On that same token, if there was someone else there at the store, I would gladly split whatever was available if they asked.

If you truly believe you have no reason to prepare, then don't worry.... there will be more soon right ?

Me.... I'll keep the pantry stocked, and never allow my gas or ammo to fall below an uncomfortable level before thinking about replenishing...

It's not really the EQ, or flood itself that most people are thinking of IMO... Its the panic of the people during the aftermath and recovery.... Again, those people who didn't recognize the panic signs soon enough, and then move on huge amounts for whatever reason, including barter....

P.S. SGAMMO has (14) cases of Bear right now (500/$169).... will be gone in 4 minutes I estimate...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:33:47 PM by Noobie »

bsj425

• SKS Expert
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 04:27:38 PM »

There is no need to hoard an army's worth of ammunition.

You sound like the liberals on tv!! There is no need for a 30 round magazine either it only takes 1 shot to kill a deer! There's no need for a military style "assault rifle" get over yourself.

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »
But how much do you need? My 100 7.62, 100 9mm and 250 .22LR are MORE than enough in any "shtf" scenario to keep me and a small group alive and fed for an incredible length of time. Not to mention most of the "prepping" I do involves community building and actual food harvesting as opposed to game or barter. Not to mention the likeliehood of "shtf" is extremely low unless you live on a munitions dump on a fault line surrounded by broken levees. Nuclear attack is either going to be so complete you are dead anyways, or so scattered that some level of infrastructure will be able to handle evacuations and fallout relief.

What possible use is buying that much ammunition going to do for you? Most trained soldiers never run out of ammo before they either finish the fight or get killed. How do you, someone who has likely never experienced combat, expect to last longer than a few minutes in a sustained firefight?

There is no need to hoard an army's worth of ammunition. And why wait until now? If you are so prepared, surely you bought in bulk months or years ago yourself? The people hoarding now are doing it for profit, pure and simple. If you consider that morally justified or not, they are still being dicks. If you are buying your ammo and plan to use it, I have no problem with you. But Bubba Gump over here in East Texas buying out the entire city of all calibers is surely not for personal use.

You don't think economic turmoil or hyperinflation is a distinct possibility, what about severe weather knocking out power for 2 weeks (yeah, that NEVER happens)?  Apparently, your 100 or so odd rounds are not "more than enough" or you wouldn't be in a panic with the rest of the sheep.  As you have seen proof positive, ammo and firearms are worth their weight in gold.  So, if I have 10,000 round of 7.62x39 or 9mm or .223 or .22, it turns out that they might be worth something rather than a US treasury promise on a piece of paper.

Barihawk

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
Luckily I was able to order some decent steel case at 7.50 per box (lousy 50% markup) in the quantity I need, but still. Those of us with jobs and lives are not going to camp gun stores all the time.

You sound like the liberals on tv!! There is no need for a 30 round magazine either it only takes 1 shot to kill a deer! There's no need for a military style "assault rifle" get over yourself.

ASSUME: Making an ass out of you and me. Just because I have common sense does not mean I hate guns. I collect military firearms and long knives. My SKS is not the only 922r compliant weapon I own. But since you bring it up, military style rifles are no more or no less effective than civilian rifles. ARs look stupid and are harder to maintain. If you need 30 rounds to take down a deer, you suck at shooting (why I got an SKS as opposed to a Kalashnikov. I don't need 30 shots to do it right the first time). And as stated in the previous post, if some event happens to where you would actually need all these guns and ammo, chances are likely that your weekend warrior wannabe ass is going to be grass before you empty your first magazine, so stop fantasizing about Mad Max.

Apparently, your 100 or so odd rounds are not "more than enough" or you wouldn't be in a panic with the rest of the sheep.

I'm not in panic mode, I just want to go to a friend's ranch and shoot more than 20 minutes before calling it a day. I foresee no reason to use my weapons for any other purpose in the near future, aside from hog hunting. And FYI, calling other people sheep like you are some sort of self-aware sage only makes you look foolish.

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »
Luckily I was able to order some decent steel case at 7.50 per box (lousy 50% markup) in the quantity I need, but still. Those of us with jobs and lives are not going to camp gun stores all the time.

ASSUME: Making an ass out of you and me. Just because I have common sense does not mean I hate guns. I collect military firearms and long knives. My SKS is not the only 922r compliant weapon I own. But since you bring it up, military style rifles are no more or no less effective than civilian rifles. ARs look stupid and are harder to maintain. If you need 30 rounds to take down a deer, you suck at shooting (why I got an SKS as opposed to a Kalashnikov. I don't need 30 shots to do it right the first time). And as stated in the previous post, if some event happens to where you would actually need all these guns and ammo, chances are likely that your weekend warrior wannabe ass is going to be grass before you empty your first magazine, so stop fantasizing about Mad Max.

Apparently, your 100 or so odd rounds are not "more than enough" or you wouldn't be in a panic with the rest of the sheep.

I'm not in panic mode, I just want to go to a friend's ranch and shoot more than 20 minutes before calling it a day. I foresee no reason to use my weapons for any other purpose in the near future, aside from hog hunting. And FYI, calling other people sheep like you are some sort of self-aware sage only makes you look foolish.

You're the one paying $7.50 for 20 cartiges  :lol:, now who is foolish  :lol:

Why do you assume SHTF means mad max?  I gave you several likely scenarios that could be a short term SHTF where you might need more that a weeks worth of ammo and food, yet you ignore that. 

Ammo might be useful as money, as can be seen right now.