Author Topic: "Best" (all-round) ammo for SKS?  (Read 965 times)

Sporting Lad

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
  • "CANUCKISTAN"
"Best" (all-round) ammo for SKS?
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:37:29 PM »
Hi,
I'm not a new shooter, but I've had no experience with 7.62x39.
So my question is:
What's the (all round) "best" ammo for my SKS?
By "best" I mean considering factors such as cost, reliability, corrosiveness,
accuracy, and so forth.  I expect there are many opinions on this topic (!).
It may help to know that I'm a "plinker", so don't really need top-shelf/high-priced stuff, but nor do I want some aged surplus that will have a lot of corrosive properties, weak casings, hang-fires and so on. 
So maybe something 'middle-of-the-road'?
There's no shortage of this calibre here in Canada--the trouble being the variety of choices--that's confusing for the SKS noob!
Thx.
"The computer has allowed us to make more mistakes faster than any invention in history, with the possible exceptions of the Kalashnikov and vodka."
-(New Russian proverb)

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: "Best" (all-round) ammo for SKS?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »
Yugo M67 is surplus, all brass and, for my  money, the best round out there. Yes, corrosive primers but all that requires is a cleaning with water down the barrel and gas tube before normal cleaning.  And old though it may be it's not going to hang fire, or worse, it's built to last.

Commercially I favor Golden Tiger in 123 FMJ.  Also affordable.  Wolf Military Classic is good as well.  Lotta choices but in the final analysis you'd be best served by trying 4,5,6 different types in YOUR SKS to see which one works  best in terms of accuracy and overall function. 

hipsniper

• SKS Marksman
  • "Guns don't kill people, I do"
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
The answer really depends on what you want most out of your ammo. Reliability?, accuracy?, low cost?, ease of cleanup?  long term storage/corrosion resistance? For this reason you're likely to get different answers from difference folks.  Right now in the US, the answer to which ammo is best is "whatever you can find!"  The Yugo surplus is great, but hard to find (at least over here) and expensive too when it can be found, plus corrosive (which is not that big of a deal really... as long as you clean your gun!)  Based on your criteria, your best choice is probably a steel cased (low cost), non corrosive ammo like wolf, tula, uly, silver/golden/brown bear, or golden tiger.  Of these, I've *heard* that wolf/tula/uly are the least reliable, but they also tend to be the cheapest and most readily available.  For long term storage in humid conditions, silver and golden bear have a plated steel case that is more resistant to rust, but they cost a little more too.  As far as accuracy, I've also *heard* that golden tiger is hotter and more accurate, but your rifle might prefer something else.  Most of us have given up trying to find the "perfect" ammo and have accumulated many different types to use for different purposes (plinking, hunting, target shooting, SHTF stash, etc.).  Good luck, you should definitely try out different brands and don't put off stocking up, do it now before it's too late!  I'm sure others will chime in too, just my $0.02 USD (not sure how many CAD, lol)

Sporting Lad

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
  • "CANUCKISTAN"
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
Thx for those prompt replies!
Haha, IDK what the exchange rate is today, but it's been very close for quite a while now.
My local shop can advise me on ammo, but then again, he's the one that's wanting to sell boxes of 1400 rounds, and I'm just not ready for that, esp if I don't know what I'm getting.  He's also got several types of commercial stuff in much smaller quantities.  I'll ask him if he could let me have, say, 25 rounds of the surplus to try before I buy.
As I said, I'm a plinker, so fmj/ball ammo is fine for what I'm doing.

I used to have a 6.5mm Carcano, and ammo was dirt cheap.  Actually, I think there was a lot of 'dirt' in there!  About every tenth round was either a misfire or, worse, a hang-fire.  When it was good, there was this enormous ball of orange flame and the loudest BOOM I've heard (aside from the main gun on a tank).  But when there was a hang-fire, you'd get this:
'click'... :shock:... Ka-BOOM!! :confused2:
There were hundreds of rounds left over, untouched, when that quit being fun. :?
"The computer has allowed us to make more mistakes faster than any invention in history, with the possible exceptions of the Kalashnikov and vodka."
-(New Russian proverb)

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »
If I were you, I'd look at the Czech Surplus ammo and the MFS. Your Czech Ammo seems to be really popular. Corrosive primers yes, but clean as Bobbers stated and you will be fine. Those cases are cheap and most seem to favor it.

Drago

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
Modern Tula isn't even in the same category as M67 or Chinese surplus, which IS the best all around ammo. But, if you factor in price, i can see why people suggest wolf. Honestly, it all goes bang (mostly) and hits minute of man (mostly), so get whatever you can! Now isn't the time to be too awful picky, unless you were wise and are sitting on 10K rds already. ;)
I've given up caring what people think and do anymore....

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
Well, he has little or none of the ammo you recommend available. That's why I suggested go with the Czech or MFS
a commercial. Remember, he is in Canada. Ammo is a different selection up there versus in the States.

OP, go to CGN up there and you will see what is available by brand and even by dealers.

Tricolor

• Constitution Supporter
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • 7.62mm МЕТАК
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 04:04:29 PM »
For me:

Corrosive: Yugoslavian M67

Non-corrosive: Golden Tiger.

One little note on the GT: I made a little "experiment" with one round. I dropped it in a puddle of icy water and left it there for over 30 days. Since then the range had received some snow, sleet, and brutally icy conditions.

Came back to the range a few days ago, dug up the round (it was still there). The lacquer protected it from corrosion. After wiping it dry, I loaded it and it fired as if it was pulled out of the box. Hit the 18-inch gong at 185 yards.

Primer and bullet sealed - awesome for long-term storage. It's not the best ammo, but it's certain good stuff.
"There are collectors, shooters, hunters, bubba, tinkerers, wanna-be's, preppers, machinists, historians, snobs, newbies, etc on the site…All have one thing in common: the SKS" - AKBLUE

JimmyJamesKY

• SKS Expert
  • NOW what?
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 11:15:28 PM »
I like the bear brands of ammo. They're made by barnaul who also supplies wpa or wolf withammo to market. Silver or golden bear has treated me well from my Yugoslavia... damnedpredictivetext!!
The SKS:  now with cleaner, cooler running gas piston  technology!!!  oh, wait, it always had that...