Author Topic: Norinco Hunter  (Read 1635 times)

Hodgie

• World renowned Failure
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Kicking Ass since 77
Norinco Hunter
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:46:38 PM »
Came across a Norinco hunter earlier today, it's a slash cut, milled receiver. Can these be converted
back to a real traditional AK? The forehand looks long so possibly a different system up front, the mag well
appears to be on an angle and the trigger is definitely different. Some of these changes or fix's appear to be simple just want to make sure it can be done. I have a Mac-90 sporter thumb hole that I changed back but it's a stamped receiver and per the pictures looks completely different.
Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

Mancat

• SKS Guru
  • give all the milsurps to me
Re: Norinco Hunter
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 12:32:48 AM »
With a bit of work they can be converted into a Galil/Valmet style rifle, but not really similar to a standard AK. There's at least one member here who has done one that way.

beachbumwithagun

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:05:37 AM »
I've stumbled upon a couple of these, there are actually a couple different variants. Sight placement being the biggest difference between them. They were built at the (386) factory, same as Poly Tech. Here's a couple of mine, one with an original and very rare scope mount on it. For the record the scope mount is a POS.

They have jumped up in price though. For years 1990-2011 they sold for $400 give or take a little. Sleepers could be found for $150-$250. Now it seems they have about doubled.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325961205
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325799762

I've never understood why the Valmet hunter brings the big bucks and these do not, they are basically the same rifle and the workmanship on the Chinese is excellent.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=328802987

Found a pic of one that had undergone a front and rear end conversion.

easy credit gave some people the life they thought they deserved not the life they could afford

anyone that will give up liberty for security deserves neither....Ben Frankl

beachbumwithagun

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • NRA Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:28:24 AM »
here's a better pic of the scope mount.

easy credit gave some people the life they thought they deserved not the life they could afford

anyone that will give up liberty for security deserves neither....Ben Frankl

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
My first AK was a Norinco Hunter. I eventually sold it to another board member because I wanted a traditional military-looking AK. However with the usual 20/20 hindsight I wish I had kept it because it was interesting in and of itself and quite unusual.  Oddly enough, I got mine instead of an SKS because it had the same long barrel length and general stock shape, yet took 30-round detachable mags.  It was another 6 years before I got the first SKS.

The trigger is quite unusual because it extends back in order to fit the sporter stock. So when you pull it - it also moves upward as well.  It was very easy to bumpfire.
The rear sight was a flip-over set for a couple of distances.  It fits standard AK mags, though they just came with a 5-rounder.

8 of us got these at a single time (1992-3?), though most have been re-distributed somewhere else - often to other friends and co-workers.  Price was under $200. One owner liked his a lot but couldn't get another so he bought an early Siaga - which has a more similar sporting architecture.  Of the two, he much prefers the Norinco Hunter.

IMO I would get a Norinco Hunter and leave it in stock form because it is a bit of a rare and interesting Valmet-like AK in it's own right - and certainly apart from the crowd.  And it is the only AK reminiscent of an SKS - with its 20.5" barrel and wood stock of a traditional style.
Truth is the new hate language

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
I purchased a Norinco Hunter gas tube and front sight base/gas block combination for $15 off an AK site.  I decided to do a bubba scrap build.  I used an old cut down Yugo AK barrel and modified a trunnion to fit the Hunter gas tube.  No rear sight base is needed as the as tube secures into the trunnion milled slots I made.
A Galil bolt carrier.  Not sure on the rear sight as the Galil is too tall.  So I may modify the front or mod a new receiver cover rear.  I have a plan for that.

GUDERIANSDOG

• Spinner of ripping yarns.
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Sic Semper Tyrannous
    • "A Cruel Thing- A Tale of American Spirits"
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:19:43 AM »
Reading this I remembered there was an ancient thread around here where Messiah Jones converted a damaged Norinco Hunter into a Galil clone, unfortunately the pics are no longer posted. http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=72410.msg854744#msg854744

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Dr. Benjamin Franklin
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.”
-C.S. Lewis

kyle78

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 02:35:01 AM »
Wouldn't standard Slant cut stocks on the hunter? a PSL stock would be cool.

Ultrabat

• SKS Newbie
    • Feral Animal & Game Control
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 03:11:04 AM »
Sorry to high jack. Anyone know a source for after market hunter stocks? I have a Valmet Hunter and keen to find a synthetic stock for her. Or even a pistol grip back end that can just bolt on. Trigger placement is a bit of an issue..

GUDERIANSDOG

• Spinner of ripping yarns.
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Sic Semper Tyrannous
    • "A Cruel Thing- A Tale of American Spirits"
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:51:51 AM »
Are the slant stocks on a hunter the same internal dimensions as the slant cut stocks on a non-thumbhole pre-ban configuration milled Mak or NM Polytech? The reason I ask, is Ironwood sells a traditional AK stock specifically for a one tang slant-cut milled Mak: http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDNEWAKMM_2.html I guess the sticking point would be the absence of the pistol grip hole with the long trigger location.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:06:04 AM by GUDERIANSDOG »
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Dr. Benjamin Franklin
“Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.”
-C.S. Lewis