Author Topic: Correct sling and proper sling attachment for AK-47S1?  (Read 859 times)

firstchoiceak47

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Correct sling and proper sling attachment for AK-47S1?
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:34:24 AM »
   I've got an as-new, unfired AK-47 that I've had many years but never had a sling for it. Yeah, a safe queen. It's the Chinese AK-47S1 7.62x39mm underfolder. These were imported by ARMCO of Boylston, MA. I looked around a little and found a leather sling that I bought out of Beijing, China and just received it this past week. It's "supposed" to be correct for it, but, to me, it doesn't seem wide enough for the sling loops. It could be my point of view is simply different than was intended, dunno. This is what I have:

The brown leather sling that's on the AK is something I had and put on there, just to have something. I think it's Romanian? Or E. German, not sure.

I had some Polytech Magazines that I didn't sell with my Polytech AK, so they make a nice addition to this Chinese AK.

Below are the pics of the new Chinese AK-47 sling I just bought. (As it was sold to me.)

The above pics are of the Chinese leather AK-47 sling. Is this the "correct" sling for this AK?

Below are pics of different slings. Top: A Russian web sling, Middle: The brown leather Romanian? sling, and Bottom: The Chinese leather AK sling, (as sold to me).

Any ideas or corrections would help. I'm just trying to complete the rifle, as would be issued if it had been a true Type 56. Thanks.

firstchoiceak47

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Correct sling and proper sling attachment for AK-47S1?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »
your dark brown leather sling is a romanian AK sling.
guns be funs

Mancat

• SKS Guru
  • give all the milsurps to me
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
Either that or the canvas, leather-looped sling. I think either one is correct.

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 10:14:52 PM »
If I remember correctly the first slings issued on the Chinese Ak's were the same ones they issued with their sks...

They didn't have a specific Ak sling, until some time later...

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
The AK chinese sling is green cloth sling with a single leather loop at the barrel swivel end.  It has the larger buckle than the SKS as the sling is looped through the buttstock swivel and threaded back through the buckle.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/261171717156?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

firstchoiceak47

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:05:01 AM »
The AK chinese sling is green cloth sling with a single leather loop at the barrel swivel end.  It has the larger buckle than the SKS as the sling is looped through the buttstock swivel and threaded back through the buckle.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/261171717156?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

AKBLUE and others that responded,...thanks for the info.

I was thinking that the brown sling was Romanian. Didn't East Germany (DDR) make a brown leather AK sling too, though?

China made so many different types of slings for the SKS that also crossed over for use on the Type 56 AK's, and vice-versa. The web sling with coiled springs at both ends, the web sling with one leather tab at one end and a loop at the other end, (shown in AKBLUE's pic), and the many types of web slings with leather tabs at both ends. And, for a bit more complication, there were thin leather tabs available and then there were wider leather tabs available for both ends, as well.

I think I will order one of the slings in Blue's pic. I had ordered a package of the optional "wide" leather tab years ago. I'll use one of those, (which are darker in color anyway, and I think I'll be satisfied with the end result. It should look pretty good.

Anybody know if there are any Chinese Para-Drop Bags for sale anywhere? (The khahi or green/drab cloth cover for a folding stocked AKM. A protective cover for transport.?

Thanks guys.

firstchoiceak47

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 07:55:15 AM »
Your sling is Romanian.  The Chinese AK used the green single tab sling as in the pic above and also a rare snap ring type that are scarce and pricey.

The Chnese do have drop cloths in camo and green canvas.

firstchoiceak47

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:05:37 PM »

Okay, I like the drop cloths. Are they available, anywhere? I'm getting ready to order one on those slings from Redstar.  I didn't see any of these, though.

firstchoiceak47