Author Topic: Suppressors ???  (Read 688 times)

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
Suppressors ???
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:51:05 AM »
I know you can buy "suppressors" (at an outrageous price) and pay the tax stamp. Can one suppressor be used on multiple firearms if it will screw on or do you have to purchase a tax stamp for each gun? Not sure where to actually look this up?
Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: Suppressors ???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:54:19 AM »
The can is the NFA item. If you got the threads on 40 barrels on 40 different guns, and it fits, have at it. All NFA rules apply to the can, not any and all non NFA guns you may have access to.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Yo, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum...
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
It's $200 plus the price of the can Marcus. Worry more about your db rating,ease of clean,caliber ratings,material,weight,and threads.

You can swap the silencer over to any firearm. The only legality you may run into is having threaded barrels may not be legal in all states so completely removing them and the can after would be part of a change.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
You can always go down in caliber. You CAN shoot a 9mm through a .45 can...

1. fist can should be a .22, you will get the most use out of it and its a good introduction to the world of NFA items and how silencers work.
I highly recomend the SS sparrow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD69uc1jJK4

2.Anther good "all around" option is a oil filter silencer.  Adaptors can be had online for $25-$40, there called solvent traps, you would have to engrave and f1 it before you shoot through the can otherwise its legal to own as a cleaning aid. or you can buy one pre engraved for $65 IIRC. Get 1/2x28 (or what ever thread pattern you desire) and you can use your can on practically anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSbL0XGO2Po
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

Hodgie

• World renowned Failure
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Kicking Ass since 77
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 01:52:25 PM »
To my knowledge the oil can adapters need to be registered with the NFA and get the $200.00 tax stamp. The question that comes into play with some in the BTAF is what the suppressor actually is the adapter or the oil filter itself.

http://gunthreadadapters.com/

should you choose to make a Silencer / Suppressor from an Oil or Fuel Filter, All NFA Laws would apply. Form 1, $200 Tax Stamp, waiting for approval, INC / Trust / CLEO Sign Off, etc... If you get caught breaking the law, it's on you. I provide these materials to help people prepare, save money, and be green. Any advice I give on the subject of Suppressors/Silencers is given on the assumption that you will be doing it legally. If you don't, that's your responsibility and I do not condone it.

The BATFE offers conflicting information in these regards. Depending on who you ask, The adapter might be registered and the filters are nothing but user-replaceable "wipes." Other BATFE people say that the filter requires registering no matter what you do with the adapter, and the adapter is nothing if you register the filter, and you must register the filter. Since both have been done on a Form 1, and the notions appear to be mutually exclusive, who knows what those people are thinking anymore. They even call shoestrings machine guns... If your Form 1 is approved, at least you did your part. I can't offer much guidance beyond that. Obviously, if you can register the adapter and the filters are just wipes, that is the much better way to go.
Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
I stated it needed to be engraved AND a f1 submitted.

Technically both need to be engraved and the oil filter is non replaceable since it falls under the definition of a tube instead of a wipe. The ones you buy pre made comes with a filter thats engraved, the companies just leave out the fact that legally once the filters shot out its done for and cant be rebuilt.

THAT said... Nobody follows that rule and most registered filters a safe queens, autozone filters are shot up and thrown away every day.

The likely hood of them busting you on that is slim to none. The ONLY way they would get you would be a secondary charge on top of a bigger crime. LEO's know crap about NFA items, you can walk around a gunshow with a machine gun strapped to your back and nobody will question the legality. 

Hodgie

• World renowned Failure
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Kicking Ass since 77
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »
I stated it needed to be engraved AND a f1 submitted.

Technically both need to be engraved and the oil filter is non replaceable since it falls under the definition of a tube instead of a wipe. The ones you buy pre made comes with a filter thats engraved, the companies just leave out the fact that legally once the filters shot out its done for and cant be rebuilt.

THAT said... Nobody follows that rule and most registered filters a safe queens, autozone filters are shot up and thrown away every day.

The likely hood of them busting you on that is slim to none. The ONLY way they would get you would be a secondary charge on top of a bigger crime. LEO's know crap about NFA items, you can walk around a gunshow with a machine gun strapped to your back and nobody will question the legality.

I didn't understand what was meant by engraved but I get it now.
Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:05:50 AM »
building a F1 suppressor is a hobby with in its self. Basic flat baffle .22 cans can be built with hand tools and $30 of supplies. I've known of people even building .308 cans using 0 degree alignment pills, with a flash hider hammered inside of it, exhaust pipe, and baffles crushed with ball bearings. If you have more experiance with machining the sky is the limit. Bottom line, you can legally build your own silencer except theres steps and paperwork that needs to be filed.

Do some research before you go buy willy nilly. Theres lots of people with licences cranking out home build silencers for sale.. MOST local cans will be pure junk, they will work but you would be better off spending a tad more and getting something thats much higher quality.

Theres also different cans for different applications so do research on your host and find out what suits it best.

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »
silencer .com is the suppressor site. They are very helpful, You may git ribbed about asking common questions, so put on your survivors thick skin. They are GREAT guys and extremely knowledgeable. 

As others have said- The suppressor is the tax item not the gun. You can switch the can to anything you want and be ok with the tax man.

You can use the same can for multiple calibers. You WILL lose  good sound damping when using a large caliber can with a small caliber rd. Among most suppressor users it is not recommended. Its kinda like a new sks owner. In the beginning they will bubba a sks even if the guys in the know tell them not to. Later they will return their sks to original configuration with a lesson well learned.

As others have said - Oil filter adapters do require a tax stamp. I see them as a novelty item.

.22 cans are not so expensive, That is the way to start. You can use then on rifles and pistols without much change over problems. Such as expensive threaded barrels and without higher pressure problems.

45.  pistol cans are in high demand right now. They are VERY expensive. I have an older 45 can made for a Mac. It does the job well. The 45 does not have the crack down range anyway so it is very quiet for such a large caliber. They are not too expensive used. But putting one on a pistol would be like adding a brick on the end of the barrel. For me it would be nice to have a 45 pistol can but the complete rig just gets too expensive.

9mm cans are reasonable. There is a big price range on these cans with some being very quiet and some not so quiet. A mid range 9mm can could be used with a carbine or a pistol. Its not recommended but if multi use is what ya want, then this is the way to go. You could also use a 9 mm can on 38 and .22. A 9mm can on a Nagant would be very cool! Gas sealed so no escaping gases and more quiet.

Rifle caliber suppressors are very COOL. You can use a  223 suppressor on a .22 but not  the other way around. Economy .22 suppressors can not handle the pressures of 223.
One thing to keep in mind is that rifle caliber suppressors do not silence the shot. They will make a shooters location unknown to something downrange. They do quiet the shot and with the right ammo they can be even more quiet down range.
A friend has a 308 suppressor and that thing is amazing! He has it equipped to use on an M1a, and several bolt actions. It seems to be most quiet on the M1A. You know a rifle has been shot, but you cannot tell if it is a .22 close by or a higher caliber father away. And you cannot tell where the shot came from.
Here is a little info, hope it helps.

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 01:34:12 PM »
Also, remember that .22 is dirty and should only be used in a can that can be cleaned. Using it in a non serviceable .223 can will eventually lead it up and chunks can break off causing baffle strikes OR sending a round out the side of the can.

Even IF you get a serviceable .22 can (and make sure you do) keep up on cleaning it regularly. I've got a SS sparrow thats locked dead solid right now and weighs about twice what it did new.

The oil filter can is a novelty but it comes in handy when you may need to test various different firearms in a basement situation. Works on practically every rifle/pistol with your particular thread pattern that you can imagine and can stand up to FA fire. Probably get ribbed a bit for it but it works very well for what it is.

1st can should be a element or a SS sparrow for sure, you can get cheaper .22 cans BUT they are not user serviceable and will eventually lead up and be useless as a lead flash hider. Entry level .22 cans are in the $200 range, spend about twice that and get something that will last a life time preferably made from SS that can be dipped.

Skip the walther p22 as a host, works great until they get older. Now mile looses zero after 2 mags and needs to cool before you can hit anything. Go with something like a ruger mk based host. A good bolt action rifle is next on the list. I've got a cz452, Factory threaded but needs a adaptor. Great little bolt gun. Theres tons of options out there plus you can use some really quiet subsonic ammo that will have practically 0 noise. With the right ammo it's quieter than a daisy red rider.

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Yo, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum...
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »
Also, remember that .22 is dirty and should only be used in a can that can be cleaned. Using it in a non serviceable .223 can will eventually lead it up and chunks can break off causing baffle strikes OR sending a round out the side of the can.

Even IF you get a serviceable .22 can (and make sure you do) keep up on cleaning it regularly. I've got a SS sparrow thats locked dead solid right now and weighs about twice what it did new.

The oil filter can is a novelty but it comes in handy when you may need to test various different firearms in a basement situation. Works on practically every rifle/pistol with your particular thread pattern that you can imagine and can stand up to FA fire. Probably get ribbed a bit for it but it works very well for what it is.

1st can should be a element or a SS sparrow for sure, you can get cheaper .22 cans BUT they are not user serviceable and will eventually lead up and be useless as a lead flash hider. Entry level .22 cans are in the $200 range, spend about twice that and get something that will last a life time preferably made from SS that can be dipped.

Skip the walther p22 as a host, works great until they get older. Now mile looses zero after 2 mags and needs to cool before you can hit anything. Go with something like a ruger mk based host. A good bolt action rifle is next on the list. I've got a cz452, Factory threaded but needs a adaptor. Great little bolt gun. Theres tons of options out there plus you can use some really quiet subsonic ammo that will have practically 0 noise. With the right ammo it's quieter than a daisy red rider.

Put it in a case tumble kalash. See if that helps then use a kroil soak to loosen it.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 01:40:56 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I'll let you know what I end up doing.
Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »

Put it in a case tumble kalash. See if that helps then use a kroil soak to loosen it.

Silencerco has great CS. I called and asked, even though it was my fault for putting thousands down it with out cleaning they will knock out the internals with a air hammer and replace them for free.

I've just got to get off my lazy butt and do it.

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
I might have missed this but...
Check your state laws too.

Some states don't allow silencers at all.

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 02:45:14 PM »
I might have missed this but...
Check your state laws too.

Some states don't allow silencers at all.

Shouldn't be a problem for 1mlt being in the fairly free state of Texas.  :)
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson