Author Topic: Walther PPK knock-off.. FEG Hungary or FN Belgium?  (Read 837 times)

Spike 7.62

• SKS Guru
  • Don't Tread On Me
Walther PPK knock-off.. FEG Hungary or FN Belgium?
« on: April 05, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
FEG and FN are both known for high quality guns, and I am considering their clones of the Walther PPK in .32 auto. Does anyone have experience with either, or both? A real Walther is coming at some point, but for <$250 I can't resist.
"The nation is divided; half patriots and half traitors. And no man can tell which from which."
Mark Twain

"When you have to shoot; shoot, don't talk."
- Tuco, The Good The Bad & The Ugly

tcgoll

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Re: Walther PPK knock-off.. FEG Hungary or FN Belgium?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:13:38 PM »
I have a pair of the feg commercial  clones in 380 and 22. They are great shooting pistols with the exception of th da trigger. Picked the pair up nib for 500. I do mm ot know of fn making a ppk clone.

Greatguns

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:52:45 PM »
At <$250 each I'd get both then possibly sell off one that you least like.

BigDans

• SKS Marksman
  • NRA Life Member - NRA Handgun instuctor
    • Camteq Professional Systems
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »
Get a PA 63 in 9mm makarov or .380, great guns!  Do a Wolff spring kit change out for the trigger spring and you will have a fine gun.  I own three.

D
Makarovs, SKS, AKm's, MN91/30 91/44, I just like east block guns

peacecraft

• SKS Expert
    • Misfile - The Online Comic
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
I have a love affair for anything FN or CZ, so I'd pick the FN.  They're both good guns though.

Terminal Lance

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
The P64 in 9MAK is also a good cheap option. I carry mine in a Galco ankle glove made for the PPK....fits like a glove (no pun intended).
Replaced the hammer spring with a 17 or 18 lb wolff spring kit for a more manageable trigger.
"Live Free or Die: Death is Not the Worst of Evils" Major General John Stark

MajMike

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Honor is a gift one gives to oneself - Rob Roy
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 07:31:05 PM »
Why .32?  It's too costly to plink (see the .22) and too weak for defense (here's the .380).

μολὼν λαβέ

bch7773

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 09:05:14 AM »
FEG and FN are both known for high quality guns, and I am considering their clones of the Walther PPK in .32 auto. Does anyone have experience with either, or both? A real Walther is coming at some point, but for <$250 I can't resist.

FEG mostly cloned the Walther PP.  Its slightly larger than PPK.  I had one but sold it, it was nice gun but I couldn't see the use of it.  They make much lighter, more concealable, inexpensive .32 autos now, such as keltecs.
guns be funs

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »
Why .32?  It's too costly to plink (see the .22) and too weak for defense (here's the .380).

If you want a PPK, in particular as a gun which you won't be carrying, I think 32 is the best way to go. The recoil won't be nearly as nasty, which is an important consideration with PPK's and their blowback actions.

The other consideration is that if you need the smallest gun possible which is worth carrying, the all steel 32 Seecamps and variants thereof do have a small but important role to fill. Practicing frequently with these guns is important, and if you're going to do that you're very possibly going to load your own ammo, and if you're going to do that anyway, a 32 PPK might be a lot of fun to take to the range.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

MajMike

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »
The other consideration is that if you need the smallest gun possible which is worth carrying

Then I would use something like my Kel-Tec P3AT in .380, or if I were looking for a gun I would test the new Ruger .380 vs the KT.  My P3AT can handle +p's on a limited basis, that's what I carry in it, and those rounds far outperform any .32 round made, in a gun that's lighter than a Seecamp .32 or any PPK clone.

Now, I am not trying to tell you what to do, it's your money get what you want.  But, make sure you have all the info needed to make a good decision, which is why I posted this.

μολὼν λαβέ

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »
Sometimes lighter is better, other times the smallest size counts. I didn't say it was a big role to fill, I said it was a small role to fill. The 32 loaded with Buffalo Bore ammo offers sufficient penetration with much less recoil than a 380 version, offering better accuracy and faster follow up shots, as well as a much easier time getting and staying accurate by practicing with it. Others feel better about carrying the 380 Seecamp variants, nothing wrong with that either if the user does their part.

If you can accommodate a larger size for your carry needs, I would be the first to agree, LCP, P3AT, P380, whatever you want that works, it'll be better. And much better still would be a 9mm. If however you need to go as small as possible, the Seecamp is only a tiny bit larger than a Baby Browning, and unlike the BB has just enough power with the right ammo and shot placement.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:27:28 PM by Michigander »
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

MajMike

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »
I owned a Seecamp in .32 for a while but sold it when I got my P3AT, the recoil was not (to me) much different and so follow-up shots were unaffected.  The Seecamp was heavier, it's round was far weaker, and I could tell very little difference in shooting so I went with the (again, to me) better pistol.

μολὼν λαβέ

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 01:54:34 PM »

But it was strong enough to start a world war!

Code104

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Looney Left are here!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 07:36:03 PM »
WWI is to far back for most in this board.........  :lol:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
WWI is to far back for most in this board.........  :lol:
Let me see....   .32 killed a duke - right?

In all seriousness. Spike- I have a few .32 pistols that I carry. A CZ and a 1902 included in that pile. BUT they are never first use, they are always backup. Pocket guns to me.
They fit nicely in a Sports coat pocket. There are some nice small sholder holsters for them I use for formal dress such as a play or at the opera. I have also carry them at weddings.   A night at the Theatre seems to beckon for a nice over the shoulder .32.  Nothing quite like watching Hamlet and wondering how differant that play would be it they had a .32 seacamp with a threaded barrel and a quiet tube.
They also fit nicely in the back pocket of jeans. I put a small piece of plactic in there to stop the printing.   
If the discussion of ballistic or knock down comes up the .32 will never win that argunment. But many a Mobster felt a .32 was good enough for their needs.
Savage, Colt, Remington, they all made great .32 auto loaders.  And then there are the European versions, Mauser, Beretta, and all the differant Spanish Ruby versions.   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:50:10 PM by Lafayettegregory »