Author Topic: Drum Magazines  (Read 720 times)

salif08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
Drum Magazines
« on: April 11, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »
Does anyone have the drum magazines for their ak's and sks's?  Which make and model do you recommend?  Just curious.  I don't think they're a good bugout option but would definitely be useful to defend a fixed position in post SHTF WROL.
The most tactical add-on to your weapon is practice.

Scratch

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
    • Edgemetalworks.net
Re: Drum Magazines
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
I have a couple Romanians for my AK but have never even took them out of the box.  I'm thinking about selling them for 150.00 each.  I like 30 rounders better.

reverendg

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »
Only a right wing extremist would have a need to spray that many bullets!!! :shock: :oops: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »
Nice for photo props and once every other year to the range., but other than the cool factor., fuggetaboutit.  Buy ammo or traditional mags.  But only my .02 and worth only .02 cents.

salif08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 01:39:30 PM »
Nice for photo props and once every other year to the range., but other than the cool factor., fuggetaboutit.  Buy ammo or traditional mags.  But only my .02 and worth only .02 cents.

Yeah, I think one's better off training to reload than buying drums.  Because eventually, whether patrolling or defending a fixed position, you will have to MOVE.  I was just pondering the idea.  I recommend this Enovel for some accurate SHTF defense scenarios... as well as a good story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCWOG8m8xXQ&playnext=1&list=PLBAB3DFB769722E21&feature=results_main

salif08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Oh, for some reason that link takes you to the last chapter.  Just scroll up and click on the first chapter and listen to the whole book as time permits.  It took me a few weeks but it's pretty good.

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 09:04:33 PM »
I like the Chinese and Romanian version, easier to load and unload and can keep them loaded with no tensions.. 8)

Peoples main complaint is weight!! :banghead:

My question is when did Americans become whimps???? :oops:

I have mine in my bugout bag, like posted before, good for defensive postions..

I've practiced shooting on the move with the drum....

kuzuna

• SKS Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:37 AM »
I have a Romanian rear-loader.  I still can't figure out how to load 75rds in it; all I can get in is 73.  It looks cool though which is why I bought it.  I'll probably actually use it once or maybe twice a year when ammo prices come down and availability goes back up.  If you just want to get a drum for looks, save money and get a Korean one, but if you want to get one to actually use, get a Romanian, Russian (if you can find one) or Chinese (if you can get a good price on one).

I'm still kicking myself for not getting Romanian toploaders when APEX had them for $90.

As for SKS drums, well...

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 08:12:52 PM »
It looks like in the video he is intentionally getting the drum to do that...

I know somebody who has one and it works...

It may be hit and miss and I think also it may be that the drums only like certain SKS... :banghead:

He did have to do a slight modification, bend the tab a little to get it to feed correctly...Tab was angled diffent than the det mags...

I mentioned the tab could be the culprit, when he told me about his problem....

quadster

• SKS Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »
Ok, so i bought a couple Korean ones for an sks.
Watched a Utube video on how to load.The guy was saying to wind it up tight to load. Was messing around with one and slipped and the follower spun all the way till the tower and snapped the follower off. :banghead:Took it apart and broke out the welder. Adjusted the release tab a bit and put a couple tacks on that also. Found a different video on loading without tension that worked much better. I am able to load 78 rounds. Fired off about 40-45 rounds with no problems. Need to get back out and test a little more.

lonewolf

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:18:22 PM »
Ok, so i bought a couple Korean ones for an sks.
Watched a Utube video on how to load.The guy was saying to wind it up tight to load. Was messing around with one and slipped and the follower spun all the way till the tower and snapped the follower off. :banghead:Took it apart and broke out the welder. Adjusted the release tab a bit and put a couple tacks on that also. Found a different video on loading without tension that worked much better. I am able to load 78 rounds. Fired off about 40-45 rounds with no problems. Need to get back out and test a little more.

The same warning also goes for the AK variants... :lol:

DO NOT OVERWIND!!!!! :banghead: