Author Topic: My Norinco sks bolt won't release.  (Read 683 times)

Dumper100

• SKS Newbie
My Norinco sks bolt won't release.
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »
Alright so I bought my first sks a couple of days ago(a chinese norinco) and I went to shoot it and quickly realized it has a problem. It functions completely normal besides on aspect of the gun.. The bolt functions correctly and locks with an empty magazine in it but when I put a loaded magazine in the sks and pull the bolt back it will not release it just stays locked open. My first time shooting I had to stick my finger in the gun and manually push the bolt holder down. After that the gun functioned very well and also it is very accurate not that it matters... also when I take the magazine out and pull the bolt back a hair it slides forward normally so the bolt holder is not jammed in position.  And also I am using tapco 20 round magazines and I have tried all 3 and they all do the same thing. 

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance..
                                                                                                                         Dumper100(rounds)

bobbers

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Re: My Norinco sks bolt won't release.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »
Dumper,
We request that new members make their first post in the "new members intro" thread.  So if you'd take a minute and tell us a bit about yourself, introduce yourself, etc. we can go from there.
Thanks.

Rocketvapor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • awarded title of SIR ARSE
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 11:30:45 PM »
Dumper,
You trying to get me in trouble :)

Go post an introduction in the new member section then I could tell you to check the fit of the mag.  Since it's 3 of the Tapco mags it may be the forward hook up of the action.

Or burrs on the back side of the mag.

THE TEST OF OUR PROGRESS IS NOT WHETHER WE ADD MORE TO THE ABUNDANCE OF THOSE WHO HAVE MUCH, IT IS WHETHER WE PROVIDE ENOUGH FOR THOSE THAT HAVE TOO LITTLE.

Have some fun:
Call in sick to places you DON'T work :)

washburnizer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 01:18:32 AM »
Sounds like a mag fit issue. I'd suggest buying a Chinese 10 round internal/intergral/factory mag and running that. I do own a few Tapco 20 rounders, and have never had an issue with them. But until you know how your rifle cycles using a true SKS magazine, the factory 10 rounder, I would not suspect the rifle being the problem.

Not bashing tapco 20 rounders. They are all I use besides factory 10 round mags. Just saying that aftermarket mags may be the cause of your issue.
Guns are tools.
Buy it cheap, and stack it deep.