Author Topic: FYI: Walmart smartphone app  (Read 6847 times)

KOOLmike

• MEMBER IS BANNED
  • SKS Guru
  • MEMBER IS BANNED
FYI: Walmart smartphone app
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:49:18 PM »
Forgive me if this is common knowledge here by now, but I wanted to make sure folks here were aware of the Walmart smartphone app and how it can make finding ammo easier with just a bit of hustle and determination.
If you have a smartphone, you can use the app to find out when certain ammo is in stock at the Walmart stores in your area. Unlike their website, the app is accurate-- if it says something is "In Stock", that ammo is in the store. It may still be on the truck and an hour or two from being unloaded, but it is there! No matter what the employees tell you, it is there!
So the first thing you need to know is to use the app. The next thing is to find out when each store puts out their ammo. In my area, most stores get their ammo shipments at around 4pm. Some stores will bring it out as soon as it comes off the truck, and others keep it back for the night until the sporting goods employee arrives at 7am. You need to ask around and find out how they work it at the storesin your area.
Example: I check the app around 4:30pm and see the store 6 miles east of me is showing the Winchester 555 boxes of .22lr in stock. I know that store puts it out at 7am the next morning, so I get there at 5am, stand around with a few other guys until a little after 7am, and out comes the .22lr ammo like clockwork. Now then, from experience, I know when that store gets ammo, the store nearest to my house gets the same stuff the following day. Only this store puts theirs out in the evening. So on the same day I get ammo from the store 6 miles east of me, I check the app that afternoon, and bam-- it shows up in stock at the store right by my house. I go there about 5:15pm and might have to wait 45 minutes or so before they bring it out.
Another thing to know is the difference between "In Stock" status and "Limited Stock" status on the app. Pretty sure "In Stock" means more than 5 boxes, and "Limited Stock" means 5 or less. Example: Federal 9mm 100rd value packs come 5 boxes per case. If the store receives 2 cases, the app will show "In Stock". If they only get 1 case, the app will show "Limited Stock". You know those Winchester M22 1000rd boxes of .22lr? You will probably never see "In Stock" on those because they come 2 per case and I have never seen a store receive more than 2 cases for a total of 4 boxes.
One more thing: If there's a product that isn't listed on the app, such as the Remington 525rd boxes of .22lr, you can use the app's barcode reader to scan the UPC if you have a box laying around and check status that way. There are also pics of some UPCs available online, so you can scan them right off your computer screen. Unfortunately, I believe the stock status via UPC scan only works with Android phones and not iPhones. Pretty sure iPhone users can only check status on items that are listed on the app.

Okay, that was an awful lot of typing on this here phone. Hope I'm not giving redundant info here and I hope this will help some of you get the ammo you're after. If any of you have known about this and were keeping it a secret, shame on you!:)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:11:02 AM by KOOLmike »
MEMBER IS BANNED

sheepdog

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BIG MONEY GRIFF
Re: FYI: Walmart smartphone app
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 08:48:41 AM »
Where you been? Welcome back. :lol: Good info.
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

Adam7

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »
This is seriously genius.  I just pulled up 7.62x39 Tulammo and I know who has it and who doesn't.. I know that my store puts it out at 7 am.. But this beats standing in line to find out if they have it or not..
Have a mismatch receiver cover?  Looking for your missing cover?  Head on over to the Mismatch Receiver Cover Exchange/Database!  Post your mismatch cover and browse the database for yours!

KOOLmike

• MEMBER IS BANNED
  • SKS Guru
  • MEMBER IS BANNED
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »
This is seriously genius.  I just pulled up 7.62x39 Tulammo and I know who has it and who doesn't.. I know that my store puts it out at 7 am.. But this beats standing in line to find out if they have it or not..

It really makes life easier and takes away the randomness. No more stopping by the store just to see an empty shelf.

I took this pic almost 2 weeks ago of ammo I'd gotten in the week or so prior. Everything but the 50rd .223 and the "Choot 'Em" .22lr came from Walmart. I've since gotten 8 more 100rd boxes of 9mm and 6 more of those Federal Auto Match .22lr boxes:

It really does help you stay on top of the Walmart ammo game! 8)
MEMBER IS BANNED

KOOLmike

• MEMBER IS BANNED
  • SKS Guru
  • MEMBER IS BANNED
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »
BTW, there's (as of this posting) a 125-page thread on this over on AR15.com. Page 82 of that thread has a bunch of UPC codes you can scan for items like WWB 9mm and Remington 525 .22lr that are not listed on the app.
MEMBER IS BANNED

Adam7

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 04:57:51 PM »
Can you link to it?  Thanks.
Have a mismatch receiver cover?  Looking for your missing cover?  Head on over to the Mismatch Receiver Cover Exchange/Database!  Post your mismatch cover and browse the database for yours!

Hodgie

• World renowned Failure
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Kicking Ass since 77
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:39:24 PM »
Very cool information.
Red Ryder BB Gun with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

KOOLmike

• MEMBER IS BANNED
  • SKS Guru
  • MEMBER IS BANNED
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:56:33 PM »
Here's the link to the page with the bar codes. The UPC for WWB 9mm is incorrect on that list, but there's another post on down the page that has the correct code.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/604347_Walmart_availability_thread.html&page=82

I have been following that thread since the get-go, pretty much. With all the folks sharing their experiences chasing ammo at Walmarts across the country, there's a wealth of information there. Kinda helps the reader understand how things work as far as stock status and how people have gotten managers involved and busted employees lying about the stock status.

Which reminds me: If you see "In Stock" on your app, and the employee you're dealing with is denying that they have it, have someone in another department scan the UPC with those little hand-held stock scanner thingies they have at the store (I have a paper with all the bar codes printed on it that I keep with me). Those things will display the actual "on hand" count, and if the ammo does show "on hand", you can then get CS or a manager involved. You may even threaten to call corporate and tell them they are refusing to sell you an item that they have on hand. :)
MEMBER IS BANNED

KOOLmike

• MEMBER IS BANNED
  • SKS Guru
  • MEMBER IS BANNED
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »
Here's the score from today. Got off work at 6:30am, went to a WM I'd never been to before and ended up 5th in line. Walked out with 3 boxes of Federal Auto Match .22 after the 4 Winchester M22 1000pks they had went to the first 3 guys. I was happy with what I got but the M22 boxes continue to elude me! Wake up this afternoon, check app at 4:30 and heck yeah-- the M22s are at the Walmart right by my house. Head up there, SG guy knows me by now and goes back to check if the truck is unloaded. Comes out 5 minutes later with the goods. Heck yeah, finally got to buy those M22s (and another box of Federal). :lol:

MEMBER IS BANNED

KOOLmike

• MEMBER IS BANNED
  • SKS Guru
  • MEMBER IS BANNED
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »
BAM! :lol:

MEMBER IS BANNED

running-man

• SKS Gunsmith
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 10:29:59 PM »

dk.easterly

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Don't Tread on Me
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »
Around here there are people that just sit out at the Walmart waiting for shipments.

Most of which are small businesses who resell at higher prices...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for my phone's inability to type what I press.

Rocketvapor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • awarded title of SIR ARSE
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 10:57:59 PM »
Yup, don't need no app here, big line, ammo in back.
No line, no ammo.
But, I got the app anyway.
I don't like making plans for the day,
because the word PREMEDITATED gets thrown around in the court room

quadster

• SKS Expert
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 11:18:53 PM »
Yea... passed up more 9mm today. Showed up about 5:00 at 3 different store within 10 miles. I know what your talking about the "small business's" . Local GS had 7.62x39 for $16.99 a box and $800.00 a case!!!!BAAAAAAAHHAAAAAA. And AK 74's "On Sale" for $1600.00! I bit my tounge.

Dale99

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Yum, Yum, Eat Em' Up
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 11:26:09 PM »
Thanks, KoolMike!

"if you can't make your point quickly and with few words, you probably don't have a very good point"  - jdscholer