Author Topic: Reloading 7.62X39  (Read 1175 times)

boomer34

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • I've voted, now what?
Reloading 7.62X39
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:54:48 PM »
OK, I may have stepped off in the deep end. But I just won a set of RCBS dies for the 7.62X39. I have reloaded extensively in the past both for rifle and pistol. Any upfront info anybody can give me about reloading this cartridge will be appreciated. Brass will not be a problem since I pulled in some Yugo loaded brass some months ago.

My questions will about how to handle the primer and the type powder to use. Also links to sites that would have the primer.

All I have is a single stage press so the reloading will be one at a time very carefully. Here is a link to what I have got coming. There are some extras in there that I do not recognize. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341593498
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
Re: Reloading 7.62X39
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
I can't tell if that set will deprime the Berdan primers of not. I bought a fairly cheap hydraulic deprimer for my Swedes.
For primers you will need say Tula KV-24N for your brass. If you don't have any, I know where they are as of tonight.
Plus another place where a shipment was due in today. I think these primers are made for the X39.

Bullets I have not studied up on as of yet. But will be before much longer.

Powder, I will send a link to the Hogdon Company reloading data, but their pages are down at the moment.

Rocketvapor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • awarded title of SIR ARSE
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:12:03 PM »
see page 23
http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/Parts_Book.pdf

boomer, find someplace that has multiple types of primers in stock and order 5k or more at one time.
That way the hazmat fee is divided across each box of 1000.
5k of small pistol and 5k small rifle seems reasonable if you reload those, 5k of large rifle, berdan, short cup might be reasonable, but ordering just 1k, plus hazmat, plus shipping, not so.
I've got a 'wish list' just waiting for all these (or at least 5k or so) to be in-stock at the same time.
Wish List
1000 Large Rifle Primers (have some need more)
1000 Berdan large rifle primers (have none)
2000 Berdan x39 rifle primers (have none)
2000 Small Pistol primers (have plenty but can always use more)
2000 Small Pistol Magnum primers (have some need more)
2000 Small Rifle primers (have plenty but can always use more)

Same with powder.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 09:42:19 PM by Rocketvapor »
XTREME Outdoor Store, with a Utah state license didn't realize they needed to follow separate regulations to sell scopes, bullets and rifle stocks to people in certain countries and accidentally mislabeled the packages as ATV parts

awfulwaffle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:14:04 AM »
Powder valley still has Berdan x39 primers for $25/box, have for a while now. I guess not too many people are loading the caliber.

Rocketvapor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:16:46 AM »
With only that and the tula LRM in stock I just can't justify a small order.
I'll wait.
XTREME Outdoor Store, with a Utah state license didn't realize they needed to follow separate regulations to sell scopes, bullets and rifle stocks to people in certain countries and accidentally mislabeled the packages as ATV parts

Salvin49

• SKS Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:43:29 PM »
Powder valley states on their homepage that it takes 1-2 months for them to ship out things that are IN stock.  To me that is just obnoxious, I would rather wait 1-2 months and buy it somewhere else.

Rocketvapor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 01:28:20 PM »
One example:
Powder valley, ordered 3/27, 8 lbs powder, delivered 5/02.
If you are replenishing, waiting is no big deal.  Just seems like it.

My advice is to keep looking,
long before you run out of something,
have the dollars set aside, and
be ready to buy when it pops up.

Now, back to boomer.
I picked Reloder 7 and CFE 223 for 223 and x39.
Haven't picked a favorite with the 223 and haven't reloaded any x39 yet.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 01:39:25 PM by Rocketvapor »

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
Salvin49, that is decent lead time! Where have you been? Heck, it took me three months to receiver 8lbs of powder in stock from Grafs. Took two months to get 5000 Berdan primers from Powder Valley. I can tell you most others have as long and longer lead times. If you got a better source for what we need, post it up here for us.

Salvin49

• SKS Expert
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 05:12:56 PM »
No, I dont have a source to get it faster.   But I wouldnt be surprised to see it back in stock within the next 2 months at places like grafs, midway, nathez, etc

Edit - I forgot we were talking about Berdan Primers specifically.  It may not be the case to find them other places other than Grafs and Powder Valley.  I have never seen anyone else with them, then again I am new to this 7.62 world.

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 05:56:18 PM »
No, I dont have a source to get it faster.   But I wouldnt be surprised to see it back in stock within the next 2 months at places like grafs, midway, nathez, etc

Edit - I forgot we were talking about Berdan Primers specifically.  It may not be the case to find them other places other than Grafs and Powder Valley.  I have never seen anyone else with them, then again I am new to this 7.62 world.
Not just Berdan, all primers are hard to find and take time to get even if in stock. These shipping depts. are over run by panic buyers! Try to find anyone with a supply of your favorite powder who can ship it the next day. Good luck.

boomer34

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • I've voted, now what?
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Any other would be welcome, particularly from someone who has reloaded the 7.62X39.

Seems like I have embarked on a little vertune that may have some long lead times.   :banghead:
Nothing ventured, nothing gained

markshere2

• SKS Shooter
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 12:46:10 AM »
I run boxer brass in my SKSs. I'm casting my bullets from wheelweight lead.  Imr4198 is the powder I use the most.

AK and SKSs aren't picky, and you can eventually tune in a load for your gun i the barrel is in good shape.
Lotsa great dope here
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?27-CB-Loads-Military-Rifles

and

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?13453-Practical-Dope-on-the-7-62X39

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 01:17:44 AM »
I've been loading for it for awhile now, and not long ago cranked out a couple of hundred with the Hornady 123 gr. pointed soft point bullets that I scored at a gun show.  They are .310 dia., and I've put them over a charge of 30.0 gr. of H-335, with CCI 200 primers. 

That powder might not be considered ideal for the cartridge, but it's giving good accuracy in my rifle, and it's great going through the measure.  I got the basic load on the Hodgdon site. 

I've also been loading the cast bullet loads with 4198, with good results except it shoots a different POI than the lighter bullets. 

I've got posts around here about a gas block that I made to convert my rifle to bolt action status for shooting my reloads so that I don't have to crawl around looking for my reloadable brass.  It works great, and there are no modifications to the rifle. 

I love the fact that I can load ammo to plink with the SKS's and save the other ammo supply for --- whatever, whenever.  jd
No man is born so stupid or worthless that he has nothing to teach me.

On my worst day, I may find someone whose day I can improve.

Salvin49

• SKS Expert
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 02:03:17 AM »

Not just Berdan, all primers are hard to find and take time to get even if in stock. These shipping depts. are over run by panic buyers! Try to find anyone with a supply of your favorite powder who can ship it the next day. Good luck.

If thats the case of this conversation, then yes, I have ordered 10k primers in the past month. 5k CCI small pistol from midway and 5k CCI large rifle from midsouth shooters.  Both of them shipped the next day.  If you apply yourself you can easily locate these supplies.  However judging by your other posts that are knocking certain "search engines" I assume that you will probably not be able to find any primers or powder for awhile.

res45

• SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 08:41:40 AM »
I can't tell if that set will deprime the Berdan primers of not.

You can't deprimer berdan primed brass with conventional reloading dies or in general on a reloading press.  You have to either using the RCBS punch and pry tool about $60 or use your own punch and pry tools made from a simple chain saw file and a block of wood or use the  Hydraulic depriming method show in the video,it works like a charm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0q0E4GtSa4 Berdan primers are also slightly larger in dia. than convention boxer primers so you will have to modify your primer seating tool to accept and feed the larger berdan primer as well as adjusting the primer seating depth.

If the nut drive handle shaft doesn't give you a snug enough fit due to variance in case neck expansion in various rifles chambers to create enough hydraulic pressure to remove the primer,a strip of Ziplock baggie placed over the case mouth before inserting the tool will create a god seal an do the trick.

In general you will find that the 123 gr. .310 dia. bullets in SP,FMJ or V an Z Max give the best results although there are several .311 dia. bullets in 125 to 150 grs. that will work as well.   With J bullets powders like Reloader #7, IMR or H-4198 and AA-1680 give the best bang for the buck as far as charge weight vs. velocity goes H-335 works as well but requires a higher starting charge weight often time even compressed to get equal results as the above mentioned powders.   

If you ever move over to cast loads in the AK or SKS Reloader # 7 is a good crossover powder for both bullet types H-335 will works as well and Alliant 2400 for cast loads is even more economical.

As far as primers I use hard primes like the CCI #34 or Wolf LR and one of my SKS rifle does  fine with WLR primers as.  Read the sticky on top of the reloading section http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0