Author Topic: Tips for seating magazines in SKS-M (or maybe it's a D)  (Read 331 times)

Chimerix

• SKS Newbie
Tips for seating magazines in SKS-M (or maybe it's a D)
« on: May 21, 2013, 01:29:01 AM »
Aloha again!

I didn't want to clutter my other post with too many questions, and this is a different issue.

My "new" Norinco has been modified to take AK magazines.  It came with several, both plastic and metal.  All of the magazines function properly (except one 10-rounder, that I can't get to seat AT ALL if it is loaded).  However, getting them seated is really a hit-or-miss operation.

I've practiced, really, I have!  Sometimes they go right in, snap-slap-bang!  Sometimes they get misaligned and jam, but good!  But usually, they just come right back out.

I've looked, and I can see why I have difficulty.  The "catch" inside the receiver is fairly low-profile, and it is pretty far up inside there.  There's just not a real positive physical feedback to let me know that the magazine is in position and ready to be pivoted into place.

It may take me 5 or 6 attempts to get a magazine seated, then I may be able to seat that same magazine properly 5 or 6 times in a row.  It's the same on all of my magazines (except that pesky 10-rounder!) so it's not a magazine issue.

I know, maybe I'm just expecting too much from a gun that wasn't built to accept this magazine.  But it would be nice if I had a better than 50% chance of successfully reloading in a high-pressure situation, y'know?

Any tips?

Mahalo!
Tom G
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
Re: Tips for seating magazines in SKS-M (or maybe it's a D)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 05:47:55 AM »
I did search and found this recent topic on the subject:
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=114757.msg1366333#msg1366333

Unforgiven

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »
One thing that I noticed is there are so many people and countries that have made these magazines that the tolerances grow and shrink.  I have a 10 round that i can slap in not even looking.  But on the other hand a 30 rounder that takes both hands.   

second The SkS was not origanlly designed to take an Ak mag.  A shop custom did that little mod. Depending on who or where did the modifications mags may fit different.  But if it's just one mag out of say 10,..it's probably the magazine.

Carl in CT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Everlasting, your light shines when all else fades
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »
Please be clear, are you talking about SKSs that were factory made to take AK mags like a Sporter, M, D, etc. or a regular SKS that has been modified to take AK mags. There is a big difference. True, the SKS was never designed to take AK mags so even factory made versions may not work as smoothly as an AK but aftermarket mods may be even more inconsistent.

My Sporter seems good with all of my mags: Chinese metal mags of 40, 30, 10 and 5rds, eastern European metal mags, Bulgarian circle 10 waffle mags. I have tried Tapco poly mags and they definitely need fitting but are fine one you get them fitted and lock in solid with no wobble. I think all poly mags will need some fitting because of the narrower mag well. My 10rd circle 10 mag fits tighter because it's newer, the 30 rounder is well broken in and slides in beautifully and locks up solid.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington

Tank50

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:49 PM »
I run 20 round Hungarian AK mags in my Sporter. I had difficulty also until I downloaded the mags by one round. Makes it much easier to properly seat the mags.