Author Topic: Best Vehicle that would survive EMP  (Read 1849 times)

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
Re: Best Vehicle that would survive EMP
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 11:07:17 PM »
Most any "old" car with a 12v coil and breaker type distributor. No chip to fry.

Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

Chip Hazard

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »
2 horses?

The last thing you want is 2 more mouths to feed.

Not to mention horses are not machines, as most movies and media portraits them; they need rest, care and medical attention; they have certain types of fears, and are not as quiet as one would imagine.

Tri
Why do you say that?  Do you own any?  Just curious.

Horses are grazing animals and perfectly fine forage feeding on grasses.  It is true that they can eat other things, but park them in a field and they will be good to go!
It is also true that unlike a vehicle they do require medical attention when injured, but in a way you could say a car does too when it breaks down.  The difference is the 'doctor' is a mechanic!  Granted there will be things a person can fix on their own when it comes to a vehicle, but not everyone can fix everything.  If the engine or tranny goes you may have to shoot it just as you would a horse that broke a leg!

I wouldn't necessarily pass on a horse if you have the opportunity to get one.  And of course in the absolute worse possible scenario... you can always eat your horse, you can't eat your car! ;)

I don't personally own horses, but work with people that own them. The way the invest money and time into those animals is nuts, for the sheer dedication of it.

I was thinking more along the lines of an animal that you already own, care for and come to develop a sense of empathy for, much like our beloved pets are to many of us.

I see the benefits as you have pointed out Chip, but I would have a hard time putting a horse I own (theoretically speaking) through the hellish tribulations a SHTF scenario would bring.
Horses are a lot of work that's for sure.
IF one of these TEOTWAWKI scenarios ever did happen look at it this way... vehicles will only be good for the very beginning.  Even if you can get a bunch of gasoline, gas goes bad after awhile and vehicles will always break down.  At some point you will end up with a horse whether its what you want or not.  People were riding them and using them to plow and haul things long before the car was even thought of.

I think though as far as a car goes I think I would agree with a dune buggy... or a VW.  Pretty much anything that predates auto computers.  Like someone said, keep extra points, condenser, rotor, distributor as well as plugs and wires and you should be good to go.  One thing about a VW is it doesn't need a cooling system so that removes one area of mechanical failure.  Also VW engines are very easy to work on and change out so get a spare engine and transmission for when the one you have finally dies after a couple hundred thousand miles!  If you need 4wd that would be a lot more maintenance.
"Nothing is True... Everything is Permitted"

Rocketvapor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • awarded title of SIR ARSE
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 12:17:13 AM »
diesel farm tractor
You can have my guns knives I-Phone when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

My parents beat the feds at the battle of BunnyHill, and all I got was this stinkin Tee-shirt

damarble

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 12:34:42 AM »
diesel farm tractor

Finally a vote for diesel. Older mechanical injection diesels are the best bet. Particularly a old VW for transportation or IDI Ford for hauling.
2 Type 56s, Ruger SP101 and 10/22, Mossberg 500, Winchester M70 7mm, FEG PA-63, VZ2008.

Chip Hazard

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 01:21:14 AM »
diesel farm tractor
Can't carry a family of 4 without a wagon... If the OP accepts that the yeah sure... great idea!
"Nothing is True... Everything is Permitted"

wolfgang2000

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 01:29:48 AM »
diesel farm tractor
Can't carry a family of 4 without a wagon... If the OP accepts that the yeah sure... great idea!

You have never seen the "tractor Amish" that I have near me.  They will build seats behind the driver or just set them on the fenders.  Usually they get one of those trailers made from the bed of a P/U and just tow it behind.  Reminds me of the Beverly hillbilly's.

Seriously any pre computer car will work.  Usually that is from the mid 80's and older.
“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.”  Evan Marshall

reuben_j_cogburn

• SKS Expert
  • Officially breeding Karelian Bear Dogs.......
    • Homesteading on a Dime
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 03:16:13 AM »
I'm already off the road system, so a truck won't do me much good.. nor a bike, unless I'm going downhill..
AK is rough on horses, but I'd still tip my hat to them...
How'd we get by with them in the old day's without all the fancy feed and stuff..
Now granted a mustang or arabian would probably not fair well in the north.. but maybe an icelandic pony??
Don't rule out horses.. they helped build this country. Before they became toy's..... :)
My Blog.
http://homesteadingonadime.blogspot.com/

quondo omni flunkus moritati

Gibson_GM

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 06:25:12 AM »
The advice here on points/pre-ECM is accurate. But, if there actually WERE an EMP, by an 'enemy' or CME or whatever...the roads would be so blocked with fried vehicles that you would never get ANYWHERE!  Other than stuck, maybe dangerously away from home, maybe in a choke point being used as an ambush or something.   At the moment of an EMP, all never vehicles (the vast majority) would be stopped dead wherever they are.

I'd rather have an old motorcycle with a trailer, maybe you'd be able to squeeze thru. But I'd REALLY like to already be where I wanted to go  :lol:

Yes, some prepping is 'overthinking' the issue, when time might be best used on basics like eating....
Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper’s bell of an approaching looter.  Ayn Rand

J

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 08:56:55 AM »
my 1965 vw bus/camper I drive 365 days a year. carry 5 total and 4 can sleep in it. more sleep if icebox, jump seat removed.
Hippy.  :lol:

Turn4811

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
The advice here on points/pre-ECM is accurate. But, if there actually WERE an EMP, by an 'enemy' or CME or whatever...the roads would be so blocked with fried vehicles that you would never get ANYWHERE!  Other than stuck, maybe dangerously away from home, maybe in a choke point being used as an ambush or something.   At the moment of an EMP, all never vehicles (the vast majority) would be stopped dead wherever they are.

I'd rather have an old motorcycle with a trailer, maybe you'd be able to squeeze thru. But I'd REALLY like to already be where I wanted to go  :lol:

Yes, some prepping is 'overthinking' the issue, when time might be best used on basics like eating....

Don't forget about the natural EMP by a solar flare. The last severe occurrence of that was in the 1880's and it decimated the telegraph lines across the nation.

I agree basic necessities are on a higher priority.

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »
A duce 1/2 would do the trick. They can be had for under 6k

Liberty over Life

• SKS Expert
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 09:50:21 AM »
It's funny how people like to worry about thing like emp, but won't spend any time thinking about what they are going to do when their toilet stops.... If you are ever in a situation where there is enough v/M present in the atmosphere to pose a trouble to your car, I wouldn't worry too much, the radiation sickness is probably going to get you first

I'm going to say this and I don't care if it pisses people off, but "prepping" seems a lot like cowboys and Indians for grownups in many instances... Entertainment, and a fantasy that seems more interesting than reality.

I am looking at buying an older vehicle for a back up. Figured that it would be good to have something as EMP proof as possible. That would fit my needs. Where I live its rural. So everything has some distance involved when thinking of logistics.

I guess I figured that if people are looking at vehicles and posting in the "preparation for the coming collapse" section that they would have the basics squared first. I didn't feel the need to post my food, ammo, and water preps. To me prepping is not a weekend warrior mentality more a way of living.(funny to me that most people forget the boy scout motto is "be prepared")

I do agree that some people are more caught up in the "I am buying crap to buy crap" way of thinking. I am glad for all the responses and the different perspectives.
Luke 22:36
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

damarble

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 09:55:39 AM »
The secondary reason I suggest diesel is you can make your own fuel if necessary. Of course you should start before SHTF so you have the bugs worked out.
2 Type 56s, Ruger SP101 and 10/22, Mossberg 500, Winchester M70 7mm, FEG PA-63, VZ2008.

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 10:38:12 AM »
Early to mid 80s carbureted Subaru 4x4 Wagons.  They have a magnetic pickup in the disty and no ECU. Guy on the Subaru site tested one as a collage project to see if it would survive an EMP. The engine did shut off but restarted after the EMP.
 Sorry I can't provide a link because the site got hacked a few years ago and some threads were lost when they revamped.
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

TheShootist62

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
  • NRA Life member
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
When it comes to horses, I would want 2 mustangs that had lived wild.
When it comes to eating a horse you better not be in rifle shot of my wife she thinks more of her horses than any people :shock:
Having said that my vote would be a bike or trike, we have trikes at work for maintenance personnel.
"Prepare for the Worst, Pray for the Best."