Author Topic: Blue or green scotchbrite pad  (Read 335 times)

Vader17

• SKS Newbie
Blue or green scotchbrite pad
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:19:50 PM »
Howdy all, I am working on my chinese SKS. I got it from Southern Ohio Gun last December. I am cleaning up the stock with mineral spirits and I was going to use a scotchbrite pad. Is the blue pad to course and just as bad as sandpaper? I have never used this type of method for cleaning.

Mr.Coinring

• THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED
  • Board Know-It-All
  • SKS Guru
  • Republic Of Texas
Re: Blue or green scotchbrite pad
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »
All colors are an abrasive just like sand paper.....  just dif grits.   If you just wanna smooth out the finish use a rag with 2 fingers like spit- shining boots.
THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED

Bill In Indiana

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 11:28:30 PM »
More collectible weapons have been ruined by those attempting to "Smooth Out" the wood than there are stars in the sky.... :(

Mr.Coinring

• THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED
  • Board Know-It-All
  • SKS Guru
  • Republic Of Texas
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 11:31:10 PM »
If you really find yourself needing more bite.....   use white or gray Scotchbrite

More collectible weapons have been ruined by those attempting to "Smooth Out" the wood than there are stars in the sky.... :(

Cant win em all bill......   just give guidance to prevent catastrophic results.    :thumbleft:
THIS MEMBER HAS BEEN BANNED

Rocky11731

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Sgt At Arms/Armorer MCL Det. 792 Semper Fi
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »
...   If you just wanna smooth out the finish use a rag with 2 fingers like spit- shining boots.
Not too many younger people even know what spit shining is. When my son was in the service, spit shining was just an old wife's tail being that now the boots aren't leather and the dress shoes are corfam (patent leather).
So for you youngun's out there, dampen your cloth and with moderate pressure, rub your rifle continuously with two fingers in a small area until smooth and shiny.  Repeat until done.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same - Ronald Reagan

OK, joke's over. Bring back the Constitution