Author Topic: First SKS experience...bummed... misfire, FTF, FTE, popped primers - any wisdom?  (Read 1867 times)

Englishsteel

• SKS Newbie
 :banghead:

I had my first experience shooting my first SKS yesterday. A Chinese made type 56 in an SG works stock. I loved the feel of the stock and for the rounds that worked...the stock worked great!
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/englishsteel1/IMG_7033.jpg

First three rounds were ok...then a misfire... the trigger obviously reset and went "click"..but no bang :( I had a gunsmith do a complete top to bottom on the rifle just a month ago. I'm thinking the problem is the cheap ammo I bought from Cabelas... Herters Tulammo :(
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/englishsteel1/IMG_7209.jpg

Every third or fourth round had "issues"... as you can see from the photo above I also had what I believe is a "popped primer"... and...pretty sure that caused the destruction/warping of my new Murray's firing pin, melting of the spring...and the destruction of the bolt assembly. Here's a picture right behind the ejector with a hole blown through and a crack throughout that entire area :( Small chunks of debris in and around the firing pin.
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/englishsteel1/IMG_7231.jpg

Here's where I need your help. I obviously need a new bolt assembly that can work in my Chinese (mid-vintage) rifel? Can someone recommend a reputable site to secure a replacement. I thought I had read about a Tapco already designed to accomodate magazines with the carrier in the closed position... see an outdated midway link. Does anyone have one they would like to part with for a "newbie?"

All wisdom is appreciated on this...I like the idea of inexpensive ammo, should I go brass? What cross-compatability do I have with bolt assemblies from other countries, russian, yugo, etc?

I really don't want to give up on the gun that I just built :(

In service!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 11:45:29 PM by Englishsteel »

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
Cheap ammo once in awhile has a bad batch. Russian QC is not always great. Those primers do look a bit deep seated. Yes, that blown primer fried and tore things up with the super heated gas. When you have that, it can really cause some damage for sure.

Google SKS bolts for sale. Probably find many sources. I have in past had similar with Tula made ammo. They make a bad batch every so often. Try the Brown Bear, Golden Tiger, Wolf ammo.

Go to our Advertisers Section, I suspect one of those may have bolts for a Chinese, But, get the head space checked when you install the new bolt before firing.

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
Also, contact Cabelas about that ammo!!! See if they will give a refund. Show them those casings at a store if you can. Otherwise call Customer Service and see if you can send an example to them. I think they may do some thing for you.

Rocketvapor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • awarded title of SIR ARSE
Is it just photo perspective or do those primer strikes look off center?
If so, would a bolt that hasn't dropped down cause an off center light strike?
(pin hitting at an angle)

Is the case without the primer the 'blown primer' ?
How does it have the room to totally back out?

I would totally check the disconnector function with that stock. 
An out of battery discharge would cycle the action from the bolt instead of from the bolt carrier. 
I would think a bolt that has not locked down would allow a primer to be blown out the back.
It would pull the extractor off the case head blow the bolt back and the primer would come out.
???

Could you post a couple more pics of the bolt.  One from the face, and one showing how much was ground off for the drop free mod?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:17:27 AM by Rocketvapor »
THE TEST OF OUR PROGRESS IS NOT WHETHER WE ADD MORE TO THE ABUNDANCE OF THOSE WHO HAVE MUCH, IT IS WHETHER WE PROVIDE ENOUGH FOR THOSE THAT HAVE TOO LITTLE.

Have some fun:
Call in sick to places you DON'T work :)

YellowSled

• SKS Shooter
  • SKS Addict
Its not the ammo, its the crappy Murray's firing pin you installed.  These rifles do not need it installed, and that is why you are having problems with it.
FFL03, FL CCW, UT CCW

U.S. Navy,  CTN1
1995-Current

Adam7

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
Its not the ammo, its the crappy Murray's firing pin you installed.  These rifles do not need it installed, and that is why you are having problems with it.

This is a great example of horrible advice.
Have a mismatch receiver cover?  Looking for your missing cover?  Head on over to the Mismatch Receiver Cover Exchange/Database!  Post your mismatch cover and browse the database for yours!

1MOA

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • We still use Horses...and Bayonets.

This is a great example of horrible advice.

I agree with that being bad advice. 100%.  :roll:
“If you want to kick the tiger in his ass you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth” - Tom Clancy

1MOA

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
Get some pictures like Rockvapor suggested...that off center striking almost makes me think someone may have took material off the bottom of the bolt, enlarged the pin hole in the bolt, a bolt face issue or it isn't fully going into battery at times, but enough to fire, or the Bolt Carrier rails are badly worn.

Maybe Murray will see the post and have some ideas as to what is causing it. (and get you a new firing pin) If your strikes were closer to center I would blame the ammo...but there looks like something else causing it. The Murray pin alone couldn't be the cause of both popped primers and light strikes intermittently, in the same rifle during a session at the range. You would likely only have light strikes with Berdan primers, especially with a reduced power 27 Lb. spring.

Check to see that when you pull the bolt all the way back and let go that it slams forward and into battery several times in a row, to show the recoil spring is strong. Try to get some close-up pics of the bolt face and bottom, the Bolt carrier, inside the receiver, and of the Chamber and it may be apparent.
“If you want to kick the tiger in his ass you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth” - Tom Clancy

YellowSled

• SKS Shooter
  • SKS Addict
I have +/- 25 sks's in my collection.  You got me.. I dont know what I am talking about.  :roll:
FFL03, FL CCW, UT CCW

U.S. Navy,  CTN1
1995-Current

1MOA

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
I have +/- 25 sks's in my collection.  You got me.. I dont know what I am talking about.  :roll:

Just because you have never had a slam-fire or something worse like I had...full auto for the last 4 rounds doesn't mean Murrays firing pin is his problem. You could have 100 SKS's and that would still be true. Some people on here have also never had an issue with the free floating pin...but many have. We try to help people find the problem. That isn't helping. That is just posting your opinion of a product.

Adam7

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru

So your trying to say money makes you smarter?  I have 10 sks in my collection, so what?  That has nothing to do with the topic on hand.  Popped primers occur with or without a murrays pin.  If you have done any research on this subject you would know that it is bad ammo that causes pressure spikes.  If you increase the distance to the rifling in the bore this solves the problem.

So yeah, you don't know what your talking about.   :roll:
Have a mismatch receiver cover?  Looking for your missing cover?  Head on over to the Mismatch Receiver Cover Exchange/Database!  Post your mismatch cover and browse the database for yours!

YellowSled

• SKS Shooter
  • SKS Addict
It's not about money. It's about I have been exposed to quite a few SKS's and in my experience, the Murrays pin does nothing but cause more problems than it's worth.  I don’t care if you like my opinion on the problem or not, but from what I can see its definitely not the ammo.
FFL03, FL CCW, UT CCW

U.S. Navy,  CTN1
1995-Current

Adam7

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
It's not about money. It's about I have been exposed to quite a few SKS's and in my experience, the Murrays pin does nothing but cause more problems than it's worth.  I don’t care if you like my opinion on the problem or not, but from what I can see its definitely not the ammo.

So is it yet another coincidence that the ammo in question just so happens to be cheap Russian berdan primed ammo?  Hmm funny how that works out.

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
contact Murry, It does appear you have a damaged bolt. Or a volcano bolt. He can fix it or replace it for you. It appears after the popped primer you had light primer strikes. The popped primer could have caused damage to the bolt face or the FP.

BTW- I have 128 sks. Murry makes the best aftermarket product available. His FP do not cause any problems. In fact they save lives.
Also, the Murry products are not the issue - You can hear anything on the internet.  :roll:

Could the Bubba stock be an issue? Very likely.

Englishsteel

• SKS Newbie
Thanks for that initial round of thoughts... I'll re-assemble, evaluate and take a few more pictures. I've very much appreciated "lurking" around this forum for a month and now I need the support...thanks!