Author Topic: Is raccoon edible in a survival situation?  (Read 2586 times)

JKale2923

• SKS Sniper
Is raccoon edible in a survival situation?
« on: September 01, 2013, 11:11:54 PM »
This might not be a typical topic for this forum, but I thought I would run it by you survival experts. I watch a show on History Channel where some guy is a trapper up in some cold place and is surviving mostly on animals he catches. In one episode, he is low on food and catches a raccoon, that he keeps for the fur, but does not eat it due to some kind of worm it might have, but he thinks nothing of eating the muskrats and beaver he traps. This guy lives out of a teepee and looks cold, wet and hungry. Is cooking up a raccoon really that dangerous? I assumed in a survival situation, any mammal if cooked up properly, would be safe to eat to at least get your belly full so you can function. I am aware a lot of this is just TV drama, but would be interested to know if anyone with real survival training would eat a raccoon if there was nothing else around.

phargolf

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
Re: Is raccoon edible in a survival situation?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:14:34 PM »
Worms? We've been eating BBQ Coon since i was a tadpole (and i'm an old,old frog LOL). The meat is not real tasty but barbecued it is o.k..

JKale2923

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 11:18:59 PM »
That is what I figured....not that I expect to be in a situation where I am cold, hungry and have nothing but an open fire and a raccoon, but eating the raccoon sure sounds better than starving. I am assuming any trapper that is on a TV show has a camera crew there with a cooler full of sandwiches. I doubt he was really hungry, just making a good show

kyle78

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:20:35 PM »
Any animal, including cows will/can have type of parasite. you just have to cook the meat to the proper temp for the proper time to kill it.
no biggie.  and raccoon is tasty.

StrikeHard

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
    • Tactical Gear for your AK, SKS, and Mosin Nagant
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »
I've never had it but the generation before me at raccoon on occasion. Along with turtles, carp, duck blood soup and all other manner stuff that turn our modern noses up. Google says there's a ton of recipes.

jaysny87

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 11:37:42 PM »
yea brain worms they are mostly only a danger to coon dogs. as mentioned before as long as they're cooked right its fine to eat. my grandpa still has a tree in his back yard with hundreds of coon paws nailed to it from gutting them. we sold the fur and ate the meat... its not too bad.
”Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.”
~George Washington

BatBoy2 75

• I'm So Friggin Super Awesome
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:53:05 AM »

Back in the day, people used to trap coons and possums and milk feed them for a week. That helped with the taste. Another method is to just brine them.

Buy a good meat thermometer, cook to temperature and parasites are not a problem.
Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave.

sksmaniac

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »
ground hogs are good too.
2ND AMENDMENT: Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 08:47:47 AM »
That parasite he was talking about is called "Raccoon Roundworm" and it is a nasty one.  Trouble is it could be gotten in many ways other than eating the coon.  Cleaning the coon and exposure to it's fecal matter is more the problem.  Proper cooking pretty much prevents all that stuff. 

I've gotta say that as far as trappers go, most of those guys are a pretty sorry bunch.  jd
No man is born so stupid or worthless that he has nothing to teach me.

On my worst day, I may find someone whose day I can improve.

Gibson_GM

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »
YES, a coon is MORE than edible.  You MUST cook it well, though.  Or face the above.  They been eatin' on 'em for hunnerds a years, man!!   

You can eat squirrel too, and the same rules apply.  Heck, bring on a rat, just cook it very well and make sure your hands are clean between handling raw meat and the cooked stuff!

Don't forget SOAP in your BOB...
Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper’s bell of an approaching looter.  Ayn Rand

JKale2923

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
Well, it looks like it was just added into the TV show to make the story more interesting. I was honestly more concerned about his poor but faithful dog. I know if he truly was hungry, so was his dog and he could have at least cut off a couple pieces and cooked them up for his dog while he was skinning the raccoon. All dangers aside, a trappers lifestyle should include knowing how to avoid the diseases mentioned above for themselves and their companions that keep them warm at night at alert them when danger approaches the camp.

maloy

• Nothing suspicious here!
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
I've gotta say that as far as trappers go, most of those guys are a pretty sorry bunch.  jd

Ouch, I use to do that.

Maloy
I can't go to hell, Satan still has a restraining order against me!

jdscholer

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 07:10:34 PM »

Ouch, I use to do that.

Maloy

Damn Maloy, I didn't mean that trappers are a sorry bunch.  I meant that the trappers on that show seem to be a pretty sorry bunch.  I grew up trapping, still have my whole outfit, and God willing, will spend my retirement trapping. 

I can only hope that those guys aren't as bad at trapping as the show makes them look..  Sorry if I insulted you.  jd

No man is born so stupid or worthless that he has nothing to teach me.

On my worst day, I may find someone whose day I can improve.

maloy

• Nothing suspicious here!
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 07:20:37 PM »

Ouch, I use to do that.

Maloy

Damn Maloy, I didn't mean that trappers are a sorry bunch.  I meant that the trappers on that show seem to be a pretty sorry bunch.  I grew up trapping, still have my whole outfit, and God willing, will spend my retirement trapping. 

I can only hope that those guys aren't as bad at trapping as the show makes them look..  Sorry if I insulted you.  jd

No problem. I don't watch those shows. I hate reality shows when they are not true reality.

Maloy
I can't go to hell, Satan still has a restraining order against me!

tcgoll

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 05:55:05 PM »
I am glad I was not hungry last week because I rehabed 5 raccoons. They had got in my addi. k and did about $1000 of damage to my ac ducs. In my option they are nasty ass disease ridden animals. Thankfully I can use suppressed 22s on them.