Author Topic: Project Paratrooper  (Read 337 times)

milsurpcop

• SKS Gunsmith
Project Paratrooper
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:58:54 AM »
I traded my Romy "bubba" to a friend who picked up a para from a guy, but the gas tube was messed up.  He doesn't know the SKS very well and said the friend told him this sometime after the trade with no "tradebacks".  I wanted a para for a restoration project and I made the trade with him.  I came across a couple E German parade stocks and I kept one just for this.  I think I fixed the gas tube even though the ferrule was also damaged.  I sold off the Tapco stock and used the 10 rd magazine from the Romy that my friend didn't want.  I still need some parts and there's still a fitting for the stock and some touch up reblueing.  I also need to figure out the buttplate situation and I need to lengthen the bayo slot as the para bayos end up closer to the mag well.  I need to refinish the handguard and will probably carefully remove the stock finish to get them match up a little better.  Here's a mock up of what I have so far. (My '51 Tula is there for reference for some of the work I did.)

Ideas and suggestions are definitely welcome.  Thanks!
Politians and Diapers should be changed often for the same reason

I cling to my guns and religion because they are two things I know I can count on.

armedhippie

• SKS Expert
Re: Project Paratrooper
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »
Nice man really like what ya got so far. I'm currently "rescue'n/restore'n" a para as well. I really like tha looks of that stock. Looks like its a blade bayo cut stock, correct? Did you already have a para length bayo for it? ( i'm gonna try and cut a reg length spike bayo down to para length myself) I've never seen a stock like yours i believe, Is that added wood at tha butt?

Good Luck and have fun restore'n her , looks like it's gonna be a beaut
Love your family and keep your powder dry

milsurpcop

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
I'ts set up for a blade bayo and I'm going to cut down a full size.  The last couple inches of the stock are inletted for a cupped buttplate that pretty much don't exist so I'm going to have to be creative.
Politians and Diapers should be changed often for the same reason

I cling to my guns and religion because they are two things I know I can count on.

armedhippie

• SKS Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
aahhhh ok Never seen a cupped butt plate myself, Pic makes since now.Maybe could bend a collar of metal to go around it and then use a reg butt plate possibly? When i picked up my para, looked like some 1 had try'd ta wide'n tha spike bayo cut on tha stock and came with a blade bayo though. I was looking around  for para length bayo's and noticed that all i was finding were full length blade and spike bayo's that had been cut down so i picked up a reg spike bayo and decided to try cutting it myself. Havent yet but gonna try. If your gonna cut yours down your self I would love to see your b4 and after pics on it. I enjoy working with blades and tha spike bayo seems like it would be simple enuff just would like to use a bandsaw to cut it i think. Keep us posted on your work.
Love your family and keep your powder dry