Author Topic: North Vietnamese SKS  (Read 2332 times)

Old Outlaw

• Life Member
  • SKS Guru
Re: North Vietnamese SKS
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »
This thread is worthless without pictures. Come on diceman. You know it is too.

sheepdog

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • BIG MONEY GRIFF
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 08:45:29 AM »
 LIVE FROM THE DOGHOUSE

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 08:48:04 AM »
Does the star have a 1 inside on the left side of the receiver? or is it a star only?
A one inside a large star on the stock is a Chinese MFG not Viet.

badash5946

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 11:35:11 PM »
I've seen several bringback rifles that the NVA marked with a star 1.  Several were rifles that the NVA modified in some manner, such as adding a night vision scope, and others it is difficult to discern just what the reason for the addition of the star 1 proof really is.  I've also seen the star 1 proof added to the stock and receiver of a VN bringback Russian SVD, as well as added to a few M21 sks'.

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »
I've seen several bringback rifles that the NVA marked with a star 1.  Several were rifles that the NVA modified in some manner, such as adding a night vision scope, and others it is difficult to discern just what the reason for the addition of the star 1 proof really is.  I've also seen the star 1 proof added to the stock and receiver of a VN bringback Russian SVD, as well as added to a few M21 sks'.
Do you have any pics of these ? Thank you

badash5946

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 11:24:23 AM »
Do you have any pics of these ? Thank you
I just have photos of the star on the scoped sks and the SVD.  The others that I have seen were mostly in a large collection that was sold back in the mid 1990's.  Unfortunately I don't know how to post photos here. And sksnut may also have an example in his collection, I'm just not sure if he does or not.

sksnut

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »
Yes, I have several with the star 1 markings in my collection.  This marking is a known variation (although not known by many).  A number of these rifles were listed in the inventory list of an old time collector of SKS rifles from Texas by the name of Smolinsky.  He had lots of rare SKS rifles in quantity.  He was one of the early SKS collectors.  I will check the serial number of the subject rifle to see if it on the Smolinsky list.  A number of the rifles I own came out of that collection.  He also had quite a number of rifles with capture papers.

badash5946

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
I'd checked and this one is not from Smolenski's collection.

rscid

• SKS Expert
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »
I have one Chinese 26 rifle with "Star 1" markings. It is in great shape and came from the same collection.. Very interesting rifle..
"Ultima Ratio Regum"

diceman3

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
Sorry, that I have been off the air, when I started this thread, and did not post pictures.  Truth is, my life's been tied up traveling with baseball playoffs and World Series.  I'm totally beat up from the travel, but will have my wife show me how to post pictures of this SKS.
Old Outlaw sorry!

Diceman

hueytaxi

• SKS Shooter
  • Old Huey and Kiowa pilot
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:52 PM »
Yooper and Survivor Board are great resources.  I did not look it up, but definitely a factory 26.  I have two with my earliest a six digit SN making it a 56 model 294XXX  The Chinese markings by the sn simply designate Type 56 carbine.
Live your life for what it can be, not what is was.

hueytaxi

• SKS Shooter
  • Old Huey and Kiowa pilot
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 11:48:59 PM »
Yooper and Survivor Board are great resources.  I did not look it up, but definitely a Chinese factory 26.  It may have been through the NV arsenal but the receiver was from China.  I have two with my earliest a six digit SN making it a 56 model 294XXX  The Chinese markings by the sn simply designate Type 56 carbine.
Live your life for what it can be, not what is was.

diceman3

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Marksman
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »
Finally, hopefully, pictures.

martin08

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Hear ye! A round of Moose-burgers for all!
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
Thank you.  It really looks the part.

The large font serial number on the left side buttstock is also interesting.   Are the number above it legible?  Also matching to the gun?

running-man

• SKS Gunsmith
  • The only way to avoid Mosin #2 is avoid Mosin #1!
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »
Interesting that the S/N on this one falls within the tail end of those CAI Sino-Banians in Howie Bearse's Sino-banian S/N thread. (not that this one has anything to do with that import at all.)  I had always assumed that Chinese rifles went in blocks as aid based on what we've seen of middle eastern issued guns as well as recent Balkan CAI and IO guns not having overlapping S/N's. 

Makes me wonder what the criteria was for the guns the Chinese decided to give away as aid.  Did they continually ship out old guns and keep the newly produced weapons for domestic use?  Did they consider pre '66 SKSs (when they first made many of their heavy design changes) as expendable and were more likely to send those out?  Are there truly 1, 4, 5, and 15-22 million S/Ns with /26\ markings and correct era features in existence?  I know we'll never know for certain, but it seems like the more you uncover about these, the more questions arise!

Nice gun Dice, thanks for sharing!