Author Topic: Last US Lead Smelter shutdown  (Read 1403 times)

fury413rb

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Automotive and Firearm Enthusiast
Last US Lead Smelter shutdown
« on: October 21, 2013, 09:58:21 AM »
just saw this...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/foghorn/obamas-new-epa-regulations-force-last-lead-smelter-usa-close/

From article

"According to TFB, the final source for lead in the United States will be forced to shut down thanks to the new EPA standards that the Obama administration is mandating. Apparently the facility would cost $100 million to bring up to code, and the company that runs it would rather strip the site and sell it than spend the money to refurbish it. From STL Today . . .

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said the company “made a business decision” to shut down the smelter instead of installing pollution control technologies needed to reduce sulfur dioxide and lead emissions as required by the Clean Air Act.

The Doe Run Co. announced last year that it had dropped plans to build a new lead processing facility in Herculaneum that would have used a new, cleaner lead production technology. The company cited the $100 million project as too financially risky.

As I said, this was the final lead production facility in the United States. Its location was one of the prime reasons that the Lake City arsenal and other ammunition manufacturers have established themselves nearby, to keep shipping costs down. But with the lead no longer flowing, the next most viable source will be China and require substantially more money to truck overseas for production.

This will also be a big headache for range facilities, since some of them use the reclaimed lead from the dirt berms to pay the bills. There are companies in the United States that will actually pay the range to come in and refurbish their berms, giving them a percentage of the money they make selling the reclaimed lead back to this smelting facility. MCB Quantico operates their ranges this way, closing down once every four years for a re-fit that pays for a lot of the ranges’ services. Now that they will need to ship that lead overseas before it is processed, that will make the whole business more expensive and might drive up range fees.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the price of ammunition jumps as well. Heck, this might even kick off a second ammo shortage if things go badly."
"I started with very little. I still have most of it."

Jimer

• SKS Newbie
Re: Last US Lead Smelter shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on this story, I did not know about this. I see bullet prices going up because of the increased price of importing lead. First the helium, now the lead. Whats next? For once, I'm on the front edge of a price increase, I just ordered 35 pounds of Lyman's #2.

fury413rb

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on this story, I did not know about this. I see bullet prices going up because of the increased price of importing lead. First the helium, now the lead. Whats next? For once, I'm on the front edge of a price increase, I just ordered 35 pounds of Lyman's #2.

you are the first person I have seen/heard mention the helium.

At work we are scrambling to find helium. Several of our laser marking machines consume helium.

fury413rb

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »

I also bought 20# of lyman #2

Carl in CT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Gila monsters don't think, they do.
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »
So a bunch of banks were deemed "Too big to fail" and bailed out by both the Bush and Obama administrations for fear of the American economy collapsing. If this story is true, why doesn't our govt. see America's inability to produce it's own lead for ammunition for military and law enforcement (as well as civilian use) as a national security issue and help this company stay open? How long will it take China to take an extra $100 million out of America selling us their lead? Not long. Seems like a good long term investment for Obama to send them a check for $100 million or whatever it takes to upgrade the plant. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington

fury413rb

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 02:34:49 PM »
So a bunch of banks were deemed "Too big to fail" and bailed out by both the Bush and Obama administrations for fear of the American economy collapsing. If this story is true, why doesn't our govt. see America's inability to produce it's own lead for ammunition for military and law enforcement (as well as civilian use) as a national security issue and help this company stay open? How long will it take China to take an extra $100 million out of America selling us their lead? Not long. Seems like a good long term investment for Obama to send them a check for $100 million or whatever it takes to upgrade the plant. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

I didnt even think of it that way. I only thinking on consumer ammunition for private sector. Totally didnt think about military applications. Scary

dk.easterly

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
  • Don't Tread on Me
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »
Send more money out of the country...that'll fix it.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for my phone's inability to type what I press.

Carl in CT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »
Send more money out of the country...that'll fix it.

Well, in Obama's eyes that will fix it since his goal is to destroy America. There is no other explanation for the things he is doing. He can't possibly be stupid enough to think his policies are going to help America so the only explanation is that he is trying to tear it down and he is doing a good job of it.
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington

nhblaze

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ruger Blackhawk Proudly made in Newport NH
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 04:47:51 PM »
you have to love the EPA

No surpise really, they have stopped the use of lead shot over water,
some states will soon ban the use of lead bullets for hunting
Lead in paint is killing our children

This country thinks it doesn't need any stinking lead.

:roll:
My retirement plan is simple, I'm only working until
noon the day of my funeral.

docbuckhead

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 04:56:49 PM »
Reduction of lead in the atmosphere is a VERY good thing, as lead, internalized, is pretty destructive to human beings, even when just by respiration.

Also, IIRC, something like 80% of lead used in the USA is recycled, with no need of smelting.

Still, I do see ammo prices being affected, along with some other products.

Carl in CT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »
Reduction of lead in the atmosphere is a VERY good thing, as lead, internalized, is pretty destructive to human beings, even when just by respiration.

Also, IIRC, something like 80% of lead used in the USA is recycled, with no need of smelting.

Still, I do see ammo prices being affected, along with some other products.

Sure, I don't think anyone disagrees that ingesting or inhaling lead is not good for anyone. It's just scary that we may be losing our only source of lead production which absolutely will impact ammo prices for civilians and the military/law enforcement. How long will it take for America to spend the extra money on foreign lead instead of just investing in an American company that will keep our lead supply here and save American jobs? Not long so where is the logic in not helping this company stay open. Lord knows our govt. has thrown money at dumber things like ,all of those alternative power companies that went belly up and lost more than $100 million of tax payer money.

I admit not knowing much about the lead industry (well, next to nothing really), I'm just talking about what seems like common sense. If lead can be recycled in a way that this company isn't needed then ok, maybe we can just let them go. It just sounded to me like whether you are melting down and recycling old lead or mining/smelting new lead, the process still went there. Again, I don't really know so please do clear that up for me if anyone does know.
~George Washington

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 07:28:15 PM »
So long as they don't figure out a way to get rid of wheel weights being made out of lead, I'm not too worried.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson

kalash

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »
They have, we were switching slowly to green weights when I left the shop.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M_Automotive/OEMs/3M_Solutions/Wheel_Weight_Legislation/

ImTryin

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »
Most lead smelting has already moved to Mexico.  The big batter companies like exide, and others that make OEM batteries for cars went to Mexico en masse'  in the late 90s for cost purposes. Not a new phenomenon.

Mexican smelters  pay a fraction of the wages of us manufacturers and have virtually no safety or environmental regulations..

WheN it comes to slowly poisoning its workers and belching lead into the atmosphere. Not really a model I want the US to emulate...

But dang if it isn't cheap.. You can bemoan the EPA as much as you want, but if you've bought a 45 dollar car battery from Walmart (like I have) you are just as much a part of the problem..
Twitter : @schmiddc

Michigander

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »
They have, we were switching slowly to green weights when I left the shop.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M_Automotive/OEMs/3M_Solutions/Wheel_Weight_Legislation/

There were all kinds of lead free weights at the shops I was at in the PRK, as indicated by your link. Here, the only time I see non lead ones is when someone made their escape to the US from the PRK and took their car with them.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

Thomas Jefferson