Author Topic: Last US Lead Smelter shutdown  (Read 1360 times)

oddcaliber

• SKS Expert
Re: Last US Lead Smelter shutdown
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 08:16:02 PM »
Yes,we are going to green weights. I work at a local Goodyear store and have seen them switch to steel  over time. The only good news is I get all the lead weights that come in my shop!

MKGipson

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
X-ray shielding.  Radiation treatment shielding.  Not just for medical.  Much industrial non-destructive testing equipment uses x-rays and requires shielding.  Making lead more expensive will make all that more expensive.

As to Mexico lead production - isn't it cool that there is a force field around Mexico that prevents any environmental contamination from spreading outside their borders?

kstechtom

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
X-ray shielding.  Radiation treatment shielding.  Not just for medical.  Much industrial non-destructive testing equipment uses x-rays and requires shielding.  Making lead more expensive will make all that more expensive.

As to Mexico lead production - isn't it cool that there is a force field around Mexico that prevents any environmental contamination from spreading outside their borders?

Is that force field around Mexico similar to the one around China keeping all their pollutants in?  The Chinese are pumping all kinds of nasty stuff into the air and I'm sure it ends up over US after awhile.

ImTryin

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 09:50:37 PM »

Who was implying that this was the case?

The fact is though they don't pay their workers much, and have very little regulations relating to the amount of lead particulates they put it the air, water and their employees...
American smelters can't compete on price alone, and the market over the last 20 years has borne that out..

It  is what it is, I'm just sayin, it's not about one plant, or this industry specifically. even if we accepted Mexican standards on lead smelting (which takes more willful ignorance to the affects of lead than I'm willing to provide), the industry is going there for labor costs alone
Twitter : @schmiddc

Carl in CT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Gila monsters don't think, they do.
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 08:51:51 AM »
Thanks everyone for providing more info. Like I said, I know nothing about the lead industry, I was just upset that we may be losing our only domestic source of lead. The last thing I want is to have to turn to China for yet another thing we can and should be producing domestically.

While Mexico is no better as far as how it trashes the environment and its people, at least if there was a war or something America could march into Mexico and take the lead if necessary, not so with China.

Companies moving production or service over seas is disgusting to me. Yes, I am willing to pay more for things made and/or serviced in the US. It is usually higher quality anyway.
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington

nhblaze

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Ruger Blackhawk Proudly made in Newport NH
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
It's the EPA and Big Brother Gov't.

Here in the USA the company would have to spend 100 million to get a plant up to code,
do you think for one minute the company in China or Mexico have their plants up the code ??
All the air stops at the borders right.

Level the playing field by making us a 2nd class country with very high EPA standards.
My retirement plan is simple, I'm only working until
noon the day of my funeral.

Rommel_1891

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • What guns?
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 08:52:38 PM »
There are supposed to be about 100 million gun owners in this country... if we could just get each of them to send a dollar to this company.

We've sent most of our manufacturing overseas, might as well send our lead production as well.  :banghead:
"... We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams

wolfgang2000

• SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »
Sorry I don't trust the EPA.  I grew up with my tooth paste being in lead tubes.  I do accept that there is some dangers in lead, but no where the risk the EPA is stating.

It just another attempt to control through regulation.
“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.”  Evan Marshall

Carl in CT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
Sorry I don't trust the EPA.  I grew up with my tooth paste being in lead tubes.  I do accept that there is some dangers in lead, but no where the risk the EPA is stating.

It just another attempt to control through regulation.

Yup. I know nothing about this but if the govt. is involved then I don't trust it.
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington

crazzy_426

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2013, 04:27:43 PM »
 I live very close to this lead plant and have a few family members that work there. I have even worked there a few times as a out side contractor, this is the only time I have heard of it shutting down. I think that this could just be a story with little merrit.

Carl in CT

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2013, 04:35:42 PM »
I live very close to this lead plant and have a few family members that work there. I have even worked there a few times as a out side contractor, this is the only time I have heard of it shutting down. I think that this could just be a story with little merrit.

That would be something. Well, they rarely let the masses working at places know what's going on at the top. Keep us posted if you hear anything please.
~George Washington

Lone Eagle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Well, is it?
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2013, 11:22:08 AM »
http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/10/end-of-an-era-last-us-lead-smelter-to-close-in-december.aspx

In December, the final primary lead smelter in the United States will close.  The lead smelter, located in Herculaneum, Missouri, and owned and operated by the Doe Run Company, has existed in the same location since 1892.

The Herculaneum smelter is currently the only smelter in the United States which can produce lead bullion from raw lead ore that is mined nearby in Missouri's extensive lead deposits, giving the smelter its "primary" designation.  The lead bullion produced in Herculaneum is then sold to lead product producers, including ammunition manufactures for use in conventional ammunition components such as projectiles, projectile cores, and primers.  Several "secondary" smelters, where lead is recycled from products such as lead acid batteries or spent ammunition components, still operate in the United States.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long before this catches up with ammo prices?     :banghead:
Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

AK-47--So Simple a Caveman Could Fix One

Drago

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • I'm Zoolander Cool
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »
I've given up caring what people do anymore....

fury413rb

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Automotive and Firearm Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »
Already been discusssed here: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=124420.0

confused - you linked to the thread I started while being in that very same thread?
"I started with very little. I still have most of it."

orangerabbit

• SKS Gunsmith
  • "always, i fight on!"
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2013, 07:23:06 PM »
hmmm so our elected officials think this is good? but yet cant decide on more important issues? 

Kinda reminds me of a employee talking on facebook instead of doing work..And we all know those employees get fired!