Author Topic: New email scam.  (Read 1482 times)

Danjal

• Not the droid you're looking for.
  • Life Member
  • SKS Guru
  • Who I am /\. Things I say >
New email scam.
« on: December 23, 2013, 03:05:15 PM »
Just got this hoax today.

Notice to appear in court NR#1721

Notice to Appear,

Hereby you are notified that you have been scheduled to appear for your hearing that will take place in the court of Washington in January 14, 2014 at 09:00 am.

Please bring all documents and witnesses relating to this case with you to Court on your hearing date.

The copy of the court notice is attached to this letter. Please, read it thoroughly.

Note: If you do not attend the hearing the judge may hear the case in your absence.

Yours truly, Diana Smith Clerk to the Court.

It comes with a zip file, which is an exe. I'm assuming malware,probably in the form if ransomware or a data miner out for internet shopping cookies and credit card info. A real court would notify you by mail. I'll reply to this one and have a bit of fun too. Just delete the mail if you see it, the attachment is the nasty bit here. Stay safe.
Nothing makes me feel quite like a man than beating on a midget. -Thed

Anxiously awaiting your next thread describing how you drown puppies in your basement. -Spinich

yugoshooter

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • River Rat The cat
Re: New email scam.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 05:46:04 PM »
Just got my notice. Urgent court notice NR#36454‏. This is my reply. Should I report to Washington DC or washington state. If its Washington state which county should I report to.  :lol:
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from threat of force!

Ghost225

• Sergeant at Arms
  • Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • I live to serve
    • Beat the Geek....My business....
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
I got one too :roll: :lol:

Court of Washington?

Nolite Me Conculcare
وأنا لن تقدم

Lone Eagle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Embrace the insanity.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 12:38:19 AM »
Those .zip files are malware.  I used to have an old box I'd open them on.   One was a "Windumb Destroyer".   What I did with one was rename the file, then resend it to the sender.  The expletive laced reply was priceless.....after the party had to reload Windoze.   :lol:
Μολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), “Come and get them!”

AK-47--So Simple a Caveman Could Fix One

Hoosierquest

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 08:33:25 AM »
Those .zip files are malware.  I used to have an old box I'd open them on.   One was a "Windumb Destroyer".   What I did with one was rename the file, then resend it to the sender.  The expletive laced reply was priceless.....after the party had to reload Windoze.   :lol:

Winning!  Hack the hacker!

Rocketvapor

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • awarded title of SIR ARSE
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »
Actually, the hacker probably didn't get hacked.  An innocent person that had their email hacked and used as a bot got attacked from someone else.  Bet the innocent bystander was pissed.   If it was so easy to email the real originator they would be found out and shut down in a minute. 

THE TEST OF OUR PROGRESS IS NOT WHETHER WE ADD MORE TO THE ABUNDANCE OF THOSE WHO HAVE MUCH, IT IS WHETHER WE PROVIDE ENOUGH FOR THOSE THAT HAVE TOO LITTLE.

Have some fun:
Call in sick to places you DON'T work :)