Author Topic: Xtriggerman Left handed bolt review  (Read 1052 times)

minister_of_sarcasm

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Giggity
Xtriggerman Left handed bolt review
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:38:30 AM »
A while back I came across Catmandoo’s left handed bolt carrier done by Xtriggerman
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=106319.0   
I knew right away this is what I have been wanting to do on my SKS. 

I contacted Xtriggerman via the board and arranged to send him down my bolt carrier (As well as my receiver cover and recoil spring – minus the spring).

Xtriggerman got my bolt carrier turned around really quickly. 
The level of workmanship, fit and finish are amazing. 

I got the bolt carrier done a few months back but haven’t had a chance to install until this weekend.

It works awesome.  It feels pretty cool pulling it back on the left side.  Sort of like the first time I chambered a round on a pump shotgun or a lever action 30/30. 

Xtriggerman strikes me as the type of man who is extremely knowledgeable and skilled at what he does.  It was a real treat dealing with him.

Here are some great pictures from his eBay ad for one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKS-Bolt-Carrier-LEFT-HAND-Custom-Assembly-/221346708990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33894abdfe

All the best,

I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck!
- Sterling Archer

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
Re: Xtriggerman Left handed bolt review
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 07:00:56 AM »
I contacted him a few months ago and he said he wasn't doing them anymore. I need to contact him again and see if he has changed his mind.

Marcus
There is but one language and that is the English language. Teddy R., 1907
Duck-bill-less mag adapters for the SKS are located at
www.thesksmagadapter.com

bill may

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 07:53:52 AM »
I contacted him a few months ago and he said he wasn't doing them anymore. I need to contact him again and see if he has changed his mind.

Marcus
i believe that murray is going to do them.
Mohammad's Finest Pork BBQ, So good the Taliban become Christians !!!!

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »

Marcus

Thanks, I'll call Ben Monday.
Marcus
www.thesksmagadapter.com

exhausting

• SKS Expert
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »
Very cool! I shoot long gun left handed. I don't know if I'm just useto it but I dont have any problems with the handle on the right but I'm also right handed.
Hind sight is always 20/20, but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:43:52 AM »
Very cool! I shoot long gun left handed. I don't know if I'm just useto it but I dont have any problems with the handle on the right but I'm also right handed.

No sarcasm intended, but of course you don't have problems. You are holding the rifle with your left hand. The natural motion is to pull the bolt back with the forward hand (your right). AKA FAL style setup. SKS bolt pull is on the right side. Works better on the left. I use just my left index finger to rack my AR's. Empty mag drop right index finger, insert loaded mag, press BHO with left index or rack the slide with left hand. That is natural.

Marcus
www.thesksmagadapter.com

exhausting

• SKS Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »
Ok gottcha. :) I was thinking it was for leftys.
Hind sight is always 20/20, but looking back its still a bit fuzzy.

xtriggerman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 05:01:37 PM »

Marcus

Marcus

That's a good idea, maybe he'll give you the discount you were looking for  :lol:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:34:46 PM by xtriggerman »
" When we get piled upon one another in large CITIES as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe" Thomas Jefferson   America, oh so blue...City politics has now come to rule over you.

1mlt

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • No place but TEXAS
    • TheSKSmagAdapter, LLC
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 05:59:18 PM »

Marcus

Marcus

That's a good idea, maybe he'll give you the discount you were looking for  :lol:

XT, I never asked you for a discount. I didn't expect one either. I wanted you to do the mod, but you told me you didn't have time and your cutters were worn out. My calling Ben was a response to the statement he may be doing them. Are you doing them again or not?

Marcus
www.thesksmagadapter.com

xtriggerman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 07:22:47 PM »

Marcus

Marcus

XT, I never asked you for a discount. I didn't expect one either. I wanted you to do the mod, but you told me you didn't have time and your cutters were worn out. My calling Ben was a response to the statement he may be doing them. Are you doing them again or not?

Marcus
    May be I miss under stood, but it seems you wanted more than 1 made at the time. Catmando's posting ended with me quoting 70 or 75 for a handle. I made good on every one who had no problem sending me that amount despite the fact that there was very little profit to be made.  At the time, I didn't know how long a cutter would hold up as to how many holes 1 would bore evenly. Now after 5 made handles, its about $15 in tooling per hole. If I made it seem like I didn't want to make them, its because I was afraid I'd be running both a lathe & a miller for a give away price. And it was! The last guy was more than happy to send $125 for a handle so I figured Id float one on the bay & see what happens. $129 with my carrier & parts is still one hell of a price for a lot of machine work. I have a few carriers I bought cheap years ago so I might make a few more for Ebay but that's if there is interest in them. We will see!   
" When we get piled upon one another in large CITIES as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe" Thomas Jefferson   America, oh so blue...City politics has now come to rule over you.

juaneye

• SKS Expert
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:46:34 PM »

Marcus

Marcus

Marcus
    May be I miss under stood, but it seems you wanted more than 1 made at the time. Catmando's posting ended with me quoting 70 or 75 for a handle. I made good on every one who had no problem sending me that amount despite the fact that there was very little profit to be made.  At the time, I didn't know how long a cutter would hold up as to how many holes 1 would bore evenly. Now after 5 made handles, its about $15 in tooling per hole. If I made it seem like I didn't want to make them, its because I was afraid I'd be running both a lathe & a miller for a give away price. And it was! The last guy was more than happy to send $125 for a handle so I figured Id float one on the bay & see what happens. $129 with my carrier & parts is still one hell of a price for a lot of machine work. I have a few carriers I bought cheap years ago so I might make a few more for Ebay but that's if there is interest in them. We will see!   

heck I'd pay $150 a piece for a couple of em, and would be willing to pay a decent price if you can machine some ambidextrous safeties too; I could use 4 of those puppies.

Tornfeather

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 09:02:45 PM »
And it was! The last guy was more than happy to send $125 for a handle so I figured Id float one on the bay & see what happens. $129 with my carrier & parts is still one hell of a price for a lot of machine work.
Hey I'm that guy

I could not be Happier with the price or product

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob every one"  - Man

"I hate to think that all my current experiences will someday become stories with no point." - Calvin and Hobbes

xtriggerman

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 12:03:16 PM »
And it was! The last guy was more than happy to send $125 for a handle so I figured Id float one on the bay & see what happens. $129 with my carrier & parts is still one hell of a price for a lot of machine work.
Hey I'm that guy

I could not be Happier with the price or product

:thumbleft: Thanks Tf, you had to stay after me a bit with Emails to get a new price on the job, but Im happy you like the work. Sure makes for a dandy mod.

Tornfeather

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 03:35:12 PM »
like the minister-of-sarcasm, I was definitely bit by the bug Once I saw Catmandoo's pics of the lefty bolt. And his positive review
A labor of love, and product of ingenuity. really custom, and for now, pretty unique.
 I consider it a personal favor XT hooked me up.
 Really interested in what Mr. Murry has to say about the whole thing
minister-of-sarcasm that sure is a nice rifle
"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob every one"  - Man

"I hate to think that all my current experiences will someday become stories with no point." - Calvin and Hobbes

minister_of_sarcasm

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Giggity
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »
Thanks Tornfeather
I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck!
- Sterling Archer