Author Topic: Anyone into 26.5 signal pistols/flare guns?  (Read 1446 times)

panoz77

• Master of Ceremonies / Resident Asshole
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
Anyone into 26.5 signal pistols/flare guns?
« on: March 02, 2014, 12:48:03 PM »
Does anyone have one?  If so what kind and what did you pay.  I used to see them in the $40 range but prices have gone up a bit.  I really like the HK but they are no longer in stock a keepshooting.  I assume the sub caliber RIFLED inserts are legal to own and use in one, is that correct (i.e. 45/410, .22)?  http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/45-lc-410-shotgun-subcaliber-device-flare-gun-insert-p-2719.html

http://www.keepshooting.com/h-k-flare-gun-26-5mm.html

I also like this Czech one from Natchez
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1431630.htm
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/1462270.htm
http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/czech-26-5mm-flare-pistol.html

I'm not gay, but he was a handsome man.

rcbif

• Professional Somethin or Other
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Lock "N" Load
Re: Anyone into 26.5 signal pistols/flare guns?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 01:01:11 PM »
I've played with the german one at gunshows. It's my favorite. Steel, low bore axis, and it feels the most like a pistol.

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 01:08:35 PM »
I've played with the german one at gunshows. It's my favorite. Steel, low bore axis, and it feels the most like a pistol.

For $40, I don't think the pitting would matter much using an insert anyways, that one might be the ticket.  So for basically $100 total, you have a 45/410 option.

rcbif

• Professional Somethin or Other
  • Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Lock "N" Load
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »

For $40, I don't think the pitting would matter much using an insert anyways, that one might be the ticket.  So for basically $100 total, you have a 45/410 option.

ya, or the .22 insert, or the 12ga insert for shooting 12ga flares.

Tpond

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
I had two polish flare pistols I bought a couple of years ago both with the .410/45 inserts. I really liked them for out on the boat or the side pocket on the door of a pick-up. But they were really bulky. But for a backdoor gun or yard gun I'd get one they shot decent and went bang.

I got both of mine here: https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/137/products_id/2990

They only have the old soviet style, which was my favorite. They sometime have the new style which looks like the H&K.

Code104

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Sniper
  • Looney Left are here!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »
I picked up 3 several years ago with an over shoulder holster, then picked up a bunch of flares, I really like the illuminating flare with parachute on the 4th of July! I don't remember where I got them or the flares now and have only shot it twice, kind of fun and more of a kick then I thought  :shock:. The other 2 went to my Brothers for Christmas.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Flowmaster

• SKS Sniper
    • thoughts on guns: my blog
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 10:06:07 PM »
A few weeks ago a guy had a big box of them at the gun show. They were the German GECO flare guns from the 1960s. They were $40 each and he sold a bunch of them. I already have one, so I didn't exactly need another one. This is the same guy that had gorgeous K31 bayonets for $60 with sheath and frog and the K31 cleaning kits for ten bucks each. So cheap.

The parachute flares are definitely the best. They're just fun and they're longer than the other ones. The surplus flares have wax covered cardboard boxes and stripes on them depicting what's in the box. There's red rain, a single red star, single white star, and a few other ones. Buy the flares in person at a gun show. The hazmat fee for shipping flares is crazy. It doesn't pay to order them online if you can get them in person without having to pay any shipping fees or hazmat. In person, I pay $30 for regular flares and $35 per box of parachute flares. Each box has 10 flares in it. I'm trying to buy them up at each show because who knows how much longer the surplus flares are going to be available.

Be sure to rinse out your flare pistol after shooting a few flares. Its amazing what'll come out of the bore when you rinse it in the kitchen sink. Hearing protection is recommended too, its similar to shooting a 45acp.

They're not exactly coast guard approved, but I keep mine aboard my boat. What a great excuse to buy and play with flares.
Collector of inexpensive pocket pistols.

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »
A few weeks ago a guy had a big box of them at the gun show. They were the German GECO flare guns from the 1960s. They were $40 each and he sold a bunch of them. I already have one, so I didn't exactly need another one. This is the same guy that had gorgeous K31 bayonets for $60 with sheath and frog and the K31 cleaning kits for ten bucks each. So cheap.

The parachute flares are definitely the best. They're just fun and they're longer than the other ones. The surplus flares have wax covered cardboard boxes and stripes on them depicting what's in the box. There's red rain, a single red star, single white star, and a few other ones. Buy the flares in person at a gun show. The hazmat fee for shipping flares is crazy. It doesn't pay to order them online if you can get them in person without having to pay any shipping fees or hazmat. In person, I pay $30 for regular flares and $35 per box of parachute flares. Each box has 10 flares in it. I'm trying to buy them up at each show because who knows how much longer the surplus flares are going to be available.

Be sure to rinse out your flare pistol after shooting a few flares. Its amazing what'll come out of the bore when you rinse it in the kitchen sink. Hearing protection is recommended too, its similar to shooting a 45acp.

They're not exactly coast guard approved, but I keep mine aboard my boat. What a great excuse to buy and play with flares.

I'm looking for one of those German Gecos, $40 is what they are listed for at Numrich, but it says moderate to heavy pitting in the bore.  I'll try and check and see if I see one at a gunshow.

Flowmaster

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 01:11:23 AM »
I got mine at Numrich about 3 years ago and it did have some pitting. Whatever though, its a flare gun. I literally used a 12 gauge bore brush and a short section of shotgun cleaning rod chucked up in my power drill. It looks better, but not great. Mine wasn't listed as having a poor barrel, but it certainly did when it got to me. The GECO flare pistols seem to be really sturdy for flare pistols. There are even replacement parts like the springs and firing pin available online for the GECOs.

If you're going to get into shooting 26.5mm flares, be sure to keep all of your old shell casings. People do reload them. There may be a time decades down the road when you'll have to reload them so I've saved every shell casing I've ever shot except for one that a camping buddy wanted to keep and put on his shelf at home.

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 09:11:50 PM »
Well I ordered two, one for me and one for my brother.  Both were in great exterior condition with some pitting in the bore but not enough to worry about.  I kept the one with more pitting and mailed the other one to my brother.  I'll be buying the chamber insert for it ASAP.  So for $100 I have a poor mans single shot Taurus Judge  8)

Also, next time I make a trip to Columbus, there is a retailer on the way who sells the flares and other inserts etc.
http://www.americanspecialtyammo.com/store-location.html

Flowmaster

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 11:05:11 PM »
Congrats on the purchase. The bore on that is worse than mine. Whatever, it'll still shoot just fine though. A power drill with a big bore brush in it will work wonders on that thing though. It won't get rid of the pitting, but it'll make it look better. I like the bicycle inner tube grip. That's a modification I usually see reserved for RG Rohm revolvers and Jennings J22 pistols. Not hating on your mod, just saying that's the kind of thing I usually see on "Saturday Night Specials".

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 11:59:45 PM »
Congrats on the purchase. The bore on that is worse than mine. Whatever, it'll still shoot just fine though. A power drill with a big bore brush in it will work wonders on that thing though. It won't get rid of the pitting, but it'll make it look better. I like the bicycle inner tube grip. That's a modification I usually see reserved for RG Rohm revolvers and Jennings J22 pistols. Not hating on your mod, just saying that's the kind of thing I usually see on "Saturday Night Specials".

What's wrong with SNS?  I own several.  If I can buy any gun that fires for $50-80 I usually will  8)

Picked this one up for $80

I actually have the innertube on most of my AK grips too, it actually feels nice and does improve the grip without adding any bulk.  I wanted to protect the grips a bit on this because they seem like they might be a little brittle.  I already cleaned the bore on this one  :lol:

The picture makes it look worse than it is, there is certainly pitting but nothing to worry about.

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 10:16:25 AM »
So the insert arrived this morning, and I just happen to have the perfect holster for the combo.

ruston61

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 07:50:14 PM »
I just ordered one too, I may go broke if it's to much fun.
Last man standing wins..........

panoz77

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 08:19:39 PM »
I just ordered one too, I may go broke if it's to much fun.

It is fun, I now have a nice supply of 410 slugs, game loads and buck  8)

Post pics of the condition when you get it.