Author Topic: AK-47 Aftermarket or OEM Stocks  (Read 2692 times)

hailstone

• SKS Newbie
AK-47 Aftermarket or OEM Stocks
« on: April 20, 2006, 10:30:17 PM »
I'm in need of longer stock dimensions than what comes with most AK's.  My Saiga 308's stock is nearly four inches longer than the WASR 10's but even that is barely long enough to fit me.  I really don't like scope rings cutting my eyebrows and eyes.  I've looked at many sites and most seem to be selling the OEM types and lengths.  Haven't been able to find anyone selling Saiga parts in this country (USA) that are reliable and reasonable in price.  Several are from other countries but I'm still waiting for some parts that was order over two months ago.  Even though that outfit has many unique and original parts available will never order from them again due to there shipping policies and long wait times.  Considering what I paid for S&H I should have had the items in a couple weeks.

Although I would get the plastic stocks if they were the only thing available would prefer either solid wood or wood laminate.  Does anyone know where one might locate such an item either addresses or url's will work for me.

k_semler

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 02:19:13 AM »
www.tapco.com

Order the T6 adjustable, (M4 style) stock for your AK.  It is 6 position adjustable.  I haven't measured maximum LOP yet, but with it all the way out, I have to crane my neck forward to get rid of the black ring around the scope.  I like thier M249 PG too, and thier forward hand gaurd is OK, but not the greatest.  If you can find one, get a PG with finger indentations.  They're kind of expensive, but look well built, (look in SGN for ads). or try www.k-var.com.

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • TOM Q VAXY
    • OBEY!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 02:23:20 AM »
K-Var has a series of stocks that are 1.25" longer than the WSAR stock. They are either marketed as the "Warsaw pact length" or the "Nato length"...I can't remember which one. Anywho, I got one on my MAK and the length is perfect.
Prepping and Survival...see Survivor's sister board, http://survivorsprepboard.com/smf/

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 09:56:53 AM »
Is this for the Saiga or the WASR?  I am guessing the Saiga since you mention Saiga parts,  is it converted or factory config?

Like said, Kvar has US length stocks that are 1 1/2" longer than combloc ones, but they wont work in a regular Saiga, they will be shorter.  You have 2 option for them, a slip on buttpad that will give a little more length, or mount your scope farther forward if possible
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

hailstone

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:51:11 PM »
Actually its for both rifles and a AES10 rifle.  The WASR and AES10 with factory stock might as well be held at arms length to get it far enough away.  As far as mounting the scopes forward there already as far forward as commercially available mounts.  I'm now resorting to making my own which is slow and of course quite expensive time wise.  One thing I have noticed is everyone is trying to sell the same things but nobody wants to inovate and come up with something new for us American shooters.

I like the concept for side mounting the scope.  It has real potential if only someone will quite coping and get innovative coming up with new ideas consistant with the average American shooter and hunter.  Theres a gold mine out there but no one is tapping it yet.

As with the scope mounts I suspect I will be making my own stocks!

BlenderWizard

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 08:59:36 PM »
I would not suggest putting a collapsible stock on the S-.308; I did on mine, and the stock would collapse under the recoil.

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 11:27:07 PM »
Its going to be tough to find a stock that is longer than 12 1/2".   ACE makes skeleton folders and tube styles that are that long.  Even the Nato length stocks are only a little over 10" That makes the length of pull about 15.5" on an AK.
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

hailstone

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 10:40:48 PM »
Suprises happen!  Picked up some Saiga parts on on-line auction site and one of the items was a stock.  I had tried my Saiga 410 shotgun stock on the WASR and AES10.  Although there are some slight differences they do work and it has given me a feel for the length of stock needed.  Seems the pistol grip adds about another inch to the stock length so rifles with the pistol grip and the Saiga stock are about right in length for me.  Without the pistol grip adding a recoil pad to the stock would add the necessary length back into the overall length needed.  Not the best solution but a fast and cheap alternative until I have the time to make a stock myself or someone markets one.

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 11:14:02 PM »
So you were looking for a factory Saiga stock?  You should have came out and said so, I would have sent one for a couple bucks over shipping cost.
I was going to mention those buttpad extentions, but I figured you had looked into them already and were too short.

www.garysgunshopllc.com