Author Topic: Proper rear sight adjustment  (Read 1447 times)

bigdnutz

• SKS Newbie
Proper rear sight adjustment
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:52:41 AM »
I was looking at my sks and was wondering how to properly use the rear sight.  Do the numbers correspond to target distance at all?  Is it just a reference point when making adjustments?  The 1-10 seem pretty arbitrary.  Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Rich

Hutch45

• SKS Marksman
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:00:14 PM »
Do a search.  It's all here in abundance...   :D

bscman

• SKS Gunsmith
    • http://www.myspace.com/anotherherodrowns
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 12:02:07 PM »
I keep mine on 1. If you adjust it all the way back as far as it will go the leaf is actually closer to 3--play with it, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Each number represents 100 meters. I'm unsure of how close they really are at compensating, but I'm sure it was good enough to give the enemy a good shower of lead.
*Udpdated* DIY SKS Match trigger http://bsclem.8m.com/triggersafety.html
------------------------------------------------

Longbow

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Professional Hand Engraver
    • Reeves Custom Hand Engraving
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 12:14:54 PM »
All the way back on the 1 is the battle setting, when the rifle is zeroed and put on this setting you should be able to hit a torso size target from 100 to 300 meters. then moving the site slide forward you will notice it will drop off the combat setting, at that point everything is set to specific distances, 100m and so on. I can hit nicely at 100m then move the slide forward to 300m and hit just as well then my old eyes fell me, even at 300m it's tuff for me to see.
"Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..." Chuckbrick

tom2

• SKS Sniper
front post
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 04:57:02 PM »
They are right that if you pull the rear sight all the way to the rear onto that "step" it raises it to the combat setting. That will make it shoot a bit high at 100 yards, but it is supposed to get you hits on people out to 300 meters, not bullseyes. You set the sight down onto the lowest setting lined up with the 100 m mark, then you can go to a 100 yards range(close enough to 100m.)  and adjust the front post up or down to make it hit on target, then it is supposed to be calibrated at all the ranges, with that ammo. But I would not worry much about it over 200-300yds, it is not a precise weapon.  Unless you are a really good shot and the gun/ammo combo is an exceptional specimen.

AKBLUE

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 05:07:10 PM »
As tom 2 noted above the numbers are in 100 meter increments and you must first zero the weapon using the front sight as the adjustment for windage and elevation.  The front sight  adjustments are counter to the change you desire.  Move the front sight post down to raise the bullet impact and left to make the impact point move right.  Once the rifle is zeroed then the rear sight gradients will work.