Author Topic: Receiver cover peep build tutorial  (Read 13124 times)

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
Receiver cover peep build tutorial
« on: July 03, 2006, 09:40:38 PM »
This is a pretty straight forward project, but it does require some mechanical ability as well as some tools.

This sight will work without modifying the front sight other than adjusting for elevation.

Ideally, a mig or tig welder would be best for ruggedness and speed of completion, but this can be done completely and turn out as well with only a hacksaw, drill and tap using button head screws. 

Parts and material list:
3/4" square steel  tubing commonly available from hardware stores.
AR-15 A2 aperture
AR-15 A2 rear aperture leaf spring.
AR-15 A2 windage screw.
AR-15 A1 or A2 windage drum.
5/32" or 1/8" x 3/4" roll pin for front sight spring retainer.
Optional would be the small roll pin to pin the drum on, but a small nail or brad that fits snug works as well.

Also its a choice of the style of windage drum, I built the 1st one with the A2 knob, and it blocks some vision I felt, next one I used the plate type. No need for windage detent assembly, the tension from the leaf spring keeps the screw from turning freely.

You start by cutting a length of square tubing to a rough length.  Its easier to drill the holes before you cut out the top or shape it.

Next step is drilling the holes for the windage screw and is pretty crucial for function.  It really helps to have a drill press for this to make it easier to keep straight in both axis.   Drill through both sides with a 5/32 bit.  You have some margin for screw placement relative to the bottom,  but not much. From .210 to .240 is about most range you have to deal with.  Any less and the aperture will bottom out and will not flip up, any more and the spring will not hold enough tension to keep it solid against the stop and stay vertical and/or jiggle.

Now is the time to decide which side the windage drum will be on. The windage screw has a shoulder on the slotted head sideopposite of the drum,  you will have to open the hole out for it to sit flush.  A 13/64 bit is very close and still undersized,  I went through with it and finished with a round file.  You can also adjust for minor misalignment of holes with a file as you open it.  You can wait to finish the holes until you remove the top side of the tubing, but its much easier to hold straight in a vice if the tube is intact while finishing the holes.

Once the holes are done,  remove the top side of the square tubing leaving the sides as high as possible.  The shape is up to your imagination and taste. I wanted to continue the line going up from the back of the receiver cover for looks, but you can move the position of the aperture back more if you shape it differently. 

Now is the time to clean up, remove burrs and smooth edges etc, before putting the parts in.

Test fit all the parts now to ensure the aperture moves etc.  The hole for the pin in the windage screw works out to be just about right for the 3/4" tubing, if it has a gap, I would suggest going to an auto parts store and getting the thin shim washers and putting behind the drum to tighten it up.

Next is probably the most tedious part of the whole thing, making retainers for the leaf spring.

I welded in plates beveled to hold the spring in,  they could be left loose and attached with the screws used to attach the sight to the cover, its just makes getting it all aligned to drill the holes and mounted more tedious.  Remember the aperture leaf also uses these as a stop to stay vertical, so you would have to mind the height of the screw protrusion.  A flat edge on the plate would probably work to keep the spring in place, but I didn't want to chance the spring jiggling and working its way out. If you do it right, the flat spring is always under some tension, so if you drilled the holes at the right height, it won't be able to move past the plates. 

The type of cover needs to be the heavier smooth style, I would not recommend  trying to put one of these on a ribbed cover.   All mine have been built on Chinese covers I picked up on an auction, but Saiga covers are at least as heavy and would work fine. Also receiver cover fit is important for this to work well.  It has to be tight, all the way against the slot in front, and contacting the rear side of the slot in the rear trunnion. You can bend the cover slightly to fit more snuggly in the rear, and change the radius of curve up front slight to keep it from moving there also.  But its important that its very snug to the point its hard to take off.

You need to remove the the original AK sight, but leave the leaf spring in and use the 5/32"x3/4"  roll pin through the hole to hold it.  The front sight will most likely have to be raised some in elevation to match the rear but it should require no modification.

Finish with your choice. I have used allumahyde II and cold blue over sand blasted frame both with decent results.

Anyone capable of  building kit or even converting a Saiga can do one of these without risking a brain aneurysm or investing in a roll of ducttape to wrap your head in.  :pirate:

Some pics of the finished one showing mounting and close up.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 10:39:35 AM by Onepoint »
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

Muscle

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Expert
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 12:42:09 PM »
looks good, very straight forward.

Only problem I see with this type set-up would be in the mobility of the receiver cover itself. True, you can tightem the covers up by tweaking them a bit so as they fit snug. However I feel the receiver can be bumped where it can still be moved from "zero".

I wonder if you could somehow test this at the range. I am thinking the amount the receiver cover can move will mean a minimal differance at ranges up to 50yds.

On the flip side, the greater distance between the rear sight and front will translate into greater accuracy.

Did you simply remove the original rear sight blade?  How about the AR-15 parts, where did you buy them?
Chuck Liddell vs Chuck Norris

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:36:33 PM »
Well on mine the covers fit snug on the sides as well, and have to be slapped to seat in the slot and there is no movement visible  Its stable enough for what it is I think.  I have tested it some when I 1st did one to see and I had no real movement of POI at 100 yards removeing and replacing a few times while still seeing the windage move when I adjusted it.  I think its pretty crucial to make sure the cover fits snug to start with.
The difference between the way the heavy covers fit and the ribbed ones is pretty significant, the ribbed light weight ones wiggle quite a bit.  

My personal preference is I am not going to shoot much past 100 yards without optics and have an expectation to hit anything  anyway other than large targets.

Good question on the rear sight, I will edit that and explain what I did with it. I removed it.

The parts are available most anywhere that have AR parts, Midway, Brownells, Rock river arms, Model 1 etc.  Price will vary, but parts will run in the $20- $30 dollar range with shipping.
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

UR

• SKS Guru
  • Poster Formerly Known as "Underrealm"
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 02:56:25 AM »
Excellent information!  I'll be printing this one to a PDF and saving it!
"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
Re: Receiver cover peep build tutorial
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 05:54:57 PM »

Man, what a great write-up. I'm surprised more people haven't responded to this one. Especially those who like the rear-sight-mounted red-dot scopes and stuff like that. These would be perfect backup sights if/when the red-dot finally fails, and you don't have the rear sight leaf with you.
"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

m48shooter

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 12:48:09 PM »
THX +100000

i have been looking for this fpr a while now.... great info.... and again thx....

mods... i think this should be stickied.... but what do i know

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 03:56:18 AM »
 Great sticky. The best of both worlds. Sight it in, add your red dot, then when it finally fails throw the red dot away and use your peep!

A fun project that works! I will testify at least @ 100 American yards.

One of the best posts ever! Thanks Onepoint!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 03:58:06 AM by Messiah Jones »
"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

273-4

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »
Any plans to build them for sale? Iwould buy one for sure.Thanks Richard

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 01:26:58 PM »
No, I built a couple and tried to sell them when I 1st did it, and had no interest at around $50 mounted on a cover already, so I figured it isn't worth the hassle.  Now I am out of spare time and warm weather to spend time in the shop.

www.garysgunshopllc.com

Messiah Jones

• SKS Guru
    • Zombie Squad
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 11:05:59 PM »
 Onepoint , if you change your mind I will buy one ASAP. Please think about it.

I prefer A1 sights.  8)  I also have reciever covers handy if you need one to work with.

273-4

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »
+1 u have my Email call when ready I have $ waiting.I think $50.00 is very fair for this upgrade and thanx Richard

M@D H@TTER

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Have you been to the range today?
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 06:38:50 PM »
I'm bringing it back from the dead!

Yeah, I'd buy one at that price...and I do not yet own an AK.  I'd buy it in part of a prepration to getting the rest of the rifle.

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 08:24:50 PM »
Unfortunately so far I haven't had a lot of free time in the shop to get any done.  I f I manage to get everything fixed  I broke or wore out last year before I need it this year, I will do a few and let you all know.

www.garysgunshopllc.com

M@D H@TTER

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
  • Have you been to the range today?
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 09:02:52 PM »
In that first complete pictures, is that an AR knob?  Awesome.

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 11:00:57 PM »
They are both AR windage knobs, the thin one is an A1 the other is a A2.

www.garysgunshopllc.com