Author Topic: SKS Trigger Problem  (Read 3239 times)

Lagomorph

• SKS Newbie
SKS Trigger Problem
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:19:25 PM »
My first post on these boards and I've got a problem...

I recently purchased my first SKS (a Norinco Sporter model from the 1980's, though the actual rifle was, according to its production number, made in 1966) and took it out yesterday for the first time. Everything worked beautifully for the first few loads. However, after about 45 round, the trigger stopped working properly. Here's the symptoms:

- When the bolt carrier is forward with a round loaded (or to be dry fired), the trigger will not got back the entire distance of its pull, much as if the safety is on, yet the actualy safety is down. The trigger does pull back a little farther than if the safety is actually engaged, but not very much.

- When the bolt is pulled back and locks, the rifle ready to be loaded, the trigger has full play on it.

So I ask: Can anyone tell me what is going on and if so, how can I fix it?

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • TOM Q VAXY
    • OBEY!
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:23:40 PM »
Sounds like the sear/block aren't engaging correctly. You best get is PM a member here by the name of Kavarri. He does wonders with SKS trigger groups. I'm sure he can fix it for you and possibly set you up with match rework that'll give you a beautiful trigger feel.

Welcome to the boards Lagomorph.
Prepping and Survival...see Survivor's sister board, http://survivorsprepboard.com/smf/

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 09:32:19 PM »
Welcome Lagomorph!

One thing you could try yourself:

If you haven't done so already.

Take the trigger group out and clean it thoroughly.

A lot of times these rifles are cleaned up on the outside but inside are still crammed with cosmoline.
As the rifle warms, this left over crap can ooze down into small places and cause problems.

Was there any sign of a blown primer?

BB

Lagomorph

• SKS Newbie
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:51:46 PM »
Quote from: BillyBang
Welcome Lagomorph!

One thing you could try yourself:

If you haven't done so already.

Take the trigger group out and clean it thoroughly.

A lot of times these rifles are cleaned up on the outside but inside are still crammed with cosmoline.
As the rifle warms, this left over crap can ooze down into small places and cause problems.

Was there any sign of a blown primer?

BB

No sign of brown primer. In fact, I think it was a private consignment sail, so the presence of any cosmoline would be unlikely.

Thanks for the tip though. I'll keep a look out.

bscman

• SKS Gunsmith
    • http://www.myspace.com/anotherherodrowns
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 01:59:03 PM »
If I had my guess at the problem you are describing I would say it is a disconnector problem.

When the bolt is forward, it pushes down on the disconnector just far enough to allow the trigger bar to push the sear out of the way (as you pull the trigger) and the hammer drops. It sounds to me like your disconnector is either not being pushed far enough out of the way, or is being pushed too far out of the way, and the trigger bar isn't properly engaging the sear.

You can test this by pulling off the receiver cover, spring, bolt assembly. The hammer will be cocked. Use a finger or pin of some sort to push down on the disconnector a little bit at a time, then pulling the trigger. Keep going until until the hammer falls. If you get the hammer to fall, it is a disconnector problem (or less likely, a trigger bar problem).

Without a reference to how far the disconnector should travel, it will be hard to fix. I have had to file down the to of the disconnector on a yugo to make it fire. But if your disconnector isn't traveling enough and you file some off, you're only making the problem worse. You will likely need some new parts (or try bending it SLIGHTLY).
*Udpdated* DIY SKS Match trigger http://bsclem.8m.com/triggersafety.html
------------------------------------------------

Lagomorph

• SKS Newbie
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 06:41:16 PM »
Quote from: bscman
If I had my guess at the problem you are describing I would say it is a disconnector problem.

When the bolt is forward, it pushes down on the disconnector just far enough to allow the trigger bar to push the sear out of the way (as you pull the trigger) and the hammer drops. It sounds to me like your disconnector is either not being pushed far enough out of the way, or is being pushed too far out of the way, and the trigger bar isn't properly engaging the sear.

You can test this by pulling off the receiver cover, spring, bolt assembly. The hammer will be cocked. Use a finger or pin of some sort to push down on the disconnector a little bit at a time, then pulling the trigger. Keep going until until the hammer falls. If you get the hammer to fall, it is a disconnector problem (or less likely, a trigger bar problem).

Without a reference to how far the disconnector should travel, it will be hard to fix. I have had to file down the to of the disconnector on a yugo to make it fire. But if your disconnector isn't traveling enough and you file some off, you're only making the problem worse. You will likely need some new parts (or try bending it SLIGHTLY).

bscman, you've been a lot of help. I pulled off the reciever cover and bolt as you instructed and guess what? No problem with the disconector. However, sitting in the disconector well (or whatever you call the indentation around the hole that the disconector is in) was a primer that had come detached from a fired round. This is what was messing up the works, as best I fgure, because I took it out of the rifle and everything was working again, or at the very least, it could dry fire again. I havn't gotten a chance to put ammo through it, but I will at my earliest opportunity.

I was using Wolf ammunition at the time. Is that a common problem for wolf? Is this a common defect on the SKS (i.e. detached primers gumming up the works?)? If so, is there a fix? Or was this just a fluke?

Either way, thanks for the help.  :mrgreen:

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
    • http://www.murraysguns.com
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 11:13:43 PM »
Good job, bscman!

Lagomorph, yes and no. The wolf ammo is "known" for having pierced primers, but that usually just leaves a small round piece of the primer in the inner workings of the gun. For an entire primer to be found is somewhat of a fluke, I'd definitely attribute it to ammo with a small amount of blame resting on the "flat tipped" firing pin.  But, even with the flat tip, you won't have these issues with any other ammo.
www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm

If you feed it junk ammo, why should you expect filet mignon results? Well now you can, with our new "Neck & Throat" chamber reaming service!

Lagomorph

• SKS Newbie
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 11:49:05 PM »
Quote from: murray
Good job, bscman!

Lagomorph, yes and no. The wolf ammo is "known" for having pierced primers, but that usually just leaves a small round piece of the primer in the inner workings of the gun. For an entire primer to be found is somewhat of a fluke, I'd definitely attribute it to ammo with a small amount of blame resting on the "flat tipped" firing pin.  But, even with the flat tip, you won't have these issues with any other ammo.

Is there another ammo out there that isn't markedly more expensive? I'm paying $4 for a box of 20 Wolf. I want to say "the good stuff" (remington, I think) is selling for at least double in my area.

Also, tell me more about this "flat tipped" firing pin. I may have one. The indentation in the primer is pretty darn flat. It's not a point, but rather a cylindrical indentation.

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 12:30:17 AM »
'Fraid not. Since the Chinese supply dried up, the only thing I've seen that comes close is some Greek ammo I saw available recently. It was reloadable, and while you may not want to reload, it is made with much better components than the Wolf.

Some of the Chinese I've seen were the worst as far as the tip of the FP is concerned. Flat tip without even a hint of rounding any edges. Makes for a very sharp edged that could "cut" into primer. And that's just what it seems to do with Wolf. (SKS's from all countries was mfg'd this way after 1951)

If you feed it junk ammo, why should you expect filet mignon results? Well now you can, with our new "Neck & Throat" chamber reaming service!

Lagomorph

• SKS Newbie
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 02:52:57 AM »
Quote from: murray
'Fraid not. Since the Chinese supply dried up, the only thing I've seen that comes close is some Greek ammo I saw available recently. It was reloadable, and while you may not want to reload, it is made with much better components than the Wolf.

Some of the Chinese I've seen were the worst as far as the tip of the FP is concerned. Flat tip without even a hint of rounding any edges. Makes for a very sharp edged that could "cut" into primer. And that's just what it seems to do with Wolf. (SKS's from all countries was mfg'd this way after 1951)

Would it be worth my trouble to round the edges on my firing pin, or perhaps buy an aftermarket one that wasn't so flat? Is either choice even possible?

murray

• Life Member
  • SKS Gunsmith
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 10:16:12 AM »
You must be very careful if you round off the tip of your FP. If you take too much off the very tip, you'll decrease the amount of FP protrusion, and that can cause problems.

Our SS SKS F Pin kit is designed to avoid these problems. Rounded tip seems to completely cure pierced primer problem, and does away with 90% of FTF's with Wolf ammo. Absolutely no problems with our kit and any other ammo.

bscman

• SKS Gunsmith
    • http://www.myspace.com/anotherherodrowns
SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 12:34:58 PM »
Glad you got it working again!

FWIW, my preferred ammo is Brown Bear HP's. When in stock, a local shop sells it for $59 per 500. Not the best price, but not bad considering shipping per 500 runs over $35 to my neck of the woods.
I've never had a blown primer using this ammunition...not to say it isn't possible, or others haven't.
*Udpdated* DIY SKS Match trigger http://bsclem.8m.com/triggersafety.html
------------------------------------------------

ccw36575

• SKS Newbie
Re: SKS Trigger Problem
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 11:38:06 AM »
This is an old thread.  But one that I have the same problem with.  my friend brought me his SKS with the identical problem.  Fired 100 rounds and quite working.  The Disconnector is being pushed down too far it seems, because if I pull the bolt back a half inch the bolt raises slightly of the disconnector and the trigger is fire.  I've cleaned out the trigger assembly. 

I've thought of filing down the disconnector, but why would it all of a sudden be too long.  would there be a chance of the disconnector, all of a sudden after 200 rnds, being too short.

Thanks for the help everyone

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • TOM Q VAXY
    • OBEY!
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 04:52:23 PM »
Welcome to the boards ccw36575.

Does the bolt number match the rest of the gun?
Prepping and Survival...see Survivor's sister board, http://survivorsprepboard.com/smf/

Fragger

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • _______ BRH _______
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 07:56:41 PM »
Yugo?
Masque of the Red Death For Now I Have Survived and yet the Black Room is Just Down the Hall