Author Topic: (help) norinco gas tube/handguard removal  (Read 3112 times)

doc606

• SKS Newbie
(help) norinco gas tube/handguard removal
« on: August 27, 2006, 01:53:52 PM »
recently purchased a mint norinco, went to clean it, and cannot get the gas tube/handguard to come off. have moved the takedown lever to the 10 oclock pos. and have seen the cam rotate, to the flat side, however will try to lift up on the end, it only goes about 1/4" and then seems to jam on something. is it possible someone before me rotated the lever all the way and let the operating rod shoot into the gas tube? if so how do u remove it to get gas tube off, and if cant get it out, will it hurt to shoot it this way to maybe force the rod back into its housing.
tks in advance,
doc

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 02:19:04 PM »
Hey doc606!

Could it be that the piston is stuck with the stem protruding a bit out the end of the tube assembly?
The op rod will not go into the gas tube assembly as the the hole for the piston stem is too small for that to happen.
If you have the lever turned so that the tube want to come up, just make sure that the gas tube is pressed toward the front of the rifle because there is not a lot of extra clearance for the tube assembly to clear at that point. Sometimes you have to "play" with the release lever a bit while pulling up on the tube to find the "sweet spot".

BB

doc606

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 04:25:52 PM »
have tried to find the "sweet" spot, cant seem to find it.
have tried to get this dang thing off for 2hrs now, cannot get it to budge more than a 1/4". ive tried twisting, pushing forward(toward sight) and everything else i can think of. any suggestions??
doc

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 04:37:39 PM »
Unload rifle :lol:   make sure the switch is flat side facing forward. replace the gas tube to original position.  Remove the bolt and carrier. Rest muzzle end on a soft cloth or wood block on the floor. Keep rifle verticle with muzzle down. Use a very small screw driver to push the op rod toward the muzzell. it will move only a bit. The op rod should strike the gas piston that may be lodged in the rear position and move it forward-or toward the floor. when you are sure that the gas piston is forward and the op rod is in the proper position, pry each side of gas tube assembly carefully upward with a little presure on each side evenly. Some of these can be a bit difficult.

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 01:43:47 PM »
Thanks for the tip Lafayettegregory, just put a new rplacement tube on one of mine and it was stuck the same way when I tried to pull it off to file the latch angle a bit to get it locked.
I couldn't get this thing to write normal or cursive, so I didn't sign my name. I've been reading all these magazines too, but all they say is "Made In The USA, Counts As 3 Compliance Parts"

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 01:55:22 PM »
Quote from: woodhippy
Thanks for the tip Lafayettegregory, just put a new rplacement tube on one of mine and it was stuck the same way when I tried to pull it off to file the latch angle a bit to get it locked.

I have never tried it but, I have been told that you can grind or file down the rear end a bit and they will fit better. Like I said I have never tried it but it seems like it would work.

doc606

• SKS Newbie
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 07:37:57 PM »
Lafayettegregory,
tried ur suggestion, cannot get the op to move forward at all. i did not take off the cover to remove bolt and carriera as it is the kind with scope mounted with the locking allen screws. guess i need to do this so i can press straight down with screwdriver. it appears someone else has had this problem, as a close look at the wood, so some marks in it where a tool "dented" the wood as it was being pried from underneath. i will try it this weekend after i remove the bolt and carrier. thanks for the tips guys.
doc

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 07:57:40 PM »
Quote from: doc606
Lafayettegregory,
tried ur suggestion, cannot get the op to move forward at all. i did not take off the cover to remove bolt and carriera as it is the kind with scope mounted with the locking allen screws. guess i need to do this so i can press straight down with screwdriver. it appears someone else has had this problem, as a close look at the wood, so some marks in it where a tool "dented" the wood as it was being pried from underneath. i will try it this weekend after i remove the bolt and carrier. thanks for the tips guys.
doc

If the op rod will not move then the piston is not stuck in the rear position.
 Good luck ;)

JiffyLube

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 09:51:44 PM »
To my great surprise, I am experiencing the same problem.  I just bought a 1967 Norinco paratrooper that has been fired very little.  Sadly, the prior owner swapped the wood stock for a Dragunov--including the addition of a plastic handguard instead of the wood.  I suspect that the gas tube may not be original.  It may be that the prior owner installed a too-large gas tube and forced it in.  I am also stuck--unable to remove the gas tube and unable to clean.
"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system."  George W. Bush

woodhippy

• SKS Expert
  • A HAND FULL OF HELL
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 09:55:26 PM »
My gas tube is the right length, I just have to take a little off the top of the receiver end to get the latch closed. The trick of removing the bolt and removing the spring pressure on the gas piston woked well. You dont want to file much, if any off the end, it should fit tight. I'm letting the truck bed-liner dry on an extra wooden stock for my "tactical" weapon as I type. Looks like it will be a nice durable finish. Still looking for a bottom mount sling loop assembly. PM me if anyone has one to sell.
I couldn't get this thing to write normal or cursive, so I didn't sign my name. I've been reading all these magazines too, but all they say is "Made In The USA, Counts As 3 Compliance Parts"

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 09:59:13 PM »
Quote from: JiffyLube
To my great surprise, I am experiencing the same problem.  I just bought a 1967 Norinco paratrooper that has been fired very little.  Sadly, the prior owner swapped the wood stock for a Dragunov--including the addition of a plastic handguard instead of the wood.  I suspect that the gas tube may not be original.  It may be that the prior owner installed a too-large gas tube and forced it in.  I am also stuck--unable to remove the gas tube and unable to clean.

Just be patient. Completely disasemble the gun and pry each side a little at a time. If it has been removed before it may have a replacement pin holding the handguard endcap on that is too large and they may have forced it back on.  Some times folks will use an old nail to replace that pin. When you get it off you can file the pin down a little. Or order off the auction sites the aliminum replacement pins. Tya get about 4 for 5 bucks and shipping. A bit high but worth not having the headache at cleaning time.

JiffyLube

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 10:28:05 PM »
After much prying and a little cussing, I was finaly able to get the gas tube off.  I compared the problem gas tube to another Norinco gas tube (with the stock wood handguard) and found that the problem gas tube is slightly longer.

Laffayettegregory, I think you are correct that the source of the problem can be traced to the pinning of the endcap.  Do you think it would be ill-advised to take the problem gas tube to a grinder and shave off a smidgeon until it fits?  Or, should I rather try to replace the gas tube cap pin?
"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system."  George W. Bush

Lafayettegregory

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 10:36:22 PM »
First find the problem. Is it the length of the gas tube that is the problem? Is it the pin holding the end cap on. Is the end cap protruding beyond the gas tube? Never grind the forward end of the gas tube that is closest to the muzzel.
If it is the gas tube- remove the wood and endcap from the gas tube assembly. try reassembling it. If it is still tight go ahead and do some grinding of use a file with the tube in a vise. BE VERY CAREFUL and remove small bits  and test again. As said earler- it should fit snug and even bind a bit when removed. It should not drop in and out.

I try to keep a supply of the aluminum end cap pins on hand. Sometimes I have to drimmel off the old (original) pins to replace the handguard.  At the factory they ping these pins in place and then grind them down flush.

JiffyLube

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 11:14:28 PM »
Where would I go looking for end caps and aluminum end cap pins?

Toad

• HMFIC
  • Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
  • C'mon boys. Smokes, Let's Go!
    • OBEY!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 11:17:12 PM »
I had one that was all carboned up, and pushing on the op rod didn't cut it. I sprayed Carburetor cleaner in the gas tube vent hole and let it sit for a while. It broke the carbon right up.
interior crocodile alligator I drive a Chevrolet movie theater