Author Topic: Is SKS as reliable as AK-47?  (Read 1746 times)

Holocene

• SKS Plinker
Is SKS as reliable as AK-47?
« on: September 03, 2006, 08:15:21 PM »
You hear stories about AK-47's that just keep on firing despite being draged through the mud and sand. I believe there was this one video where a guy was firing a full-auto AK-47 NON STOP untill the stock caught on fire... :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

So just how reliable is the SKS compared to the AK?

Confederate Ordnance

• SKS Plinker
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 08:24:33 PM »
Had a Norinco .223 cal AK in the mid '80's which was a POC.Inaccurate and wouldn't feed except by accident.That one was definately an exception to the rule though.Both rifles have well deserved reputations for reliability.Given equal care its a tie.If you drag rifles through mud deliberately then the AK probably has an edge.Just a thought ,the AK with the selector in semi or full, leaves the bolt track wide open to mud,dust and other things where the action of the SKS is a bit ( not much) better sealed. I would trust my life to either based on reliability but will choose the SKS for accuracy as well.
Deo Vindice

BlenderWizard

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 08:38:33 PM »
I think the AK's main advantage of reliability is that of its tolerances being much looser and very few moving parts.  I've never seen an AK that was anywhere close to being tight.

John R. Fuller

• SKS Shooter
What do you mean by tight?
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:47:01 PM »
My Romanian AK47 is as tight or tighter than I personnaly expected from this type of rifle.  The fit is very good through out.  It doesnt' do the shake rattle and roll.
I am not the first or the last

BlenderWizard

Re: What do you mean by tight?
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 10:40:02 PM »
Quote from: John R. Fuller
My Romanian AK47 is as tight or tighter than I personnaly expected from this type of rifle.  The fit is very good through out.  It doesnt' do the shake rattle and roll.

No, that's not quite what I meant; I was just saying that part of the AK's reliability comes from the fact that they're not built tight as a dolphin's a$$.

djprofd

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 11:18:54 PM »
Quote from: BlenderWizard

No, that's not quite what I meant; I was just saying that part of the AK's reliability comes from the fact that they're not built tight as a dolphin's a$$.

in my experience dolphin a$$ aint all that tight...

jk

d
Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

You gotta fight for your right to party, ya know what I mean?

burns_ze

• SKS Gunsmith
  • Ellos me llaman el chico blanco loco
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 11:36:28 PM »

:shock:
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold"- Bob Marley

JiffyLube

• Board Supporter
  • SKS Gunsmith
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2006, 03:08:08 AM »
Quote from: burns_ze

Do tell . . .
"I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system."  George W. Bush

djprofd

• SKS Sniper
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 03:14:08 AM »
Quote from: djprofd
Quote from: BlenderWizard

jk

d
Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

You gotta fight for your right to party, ya know what I mean?

MinorDMaverick

• SKS Expert
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 01:41:58 AM »
Pink dolphins bite.  I pray that you didn't experiment with one of those.
I'm not asking to marry her, man. I just wanna see her boobs.
-1952sniper

Frisco Pete

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2006, 03:44:23 PM »
From what I have seen - and what those who fought in Vietnam where large numbers of SKSs were encountered, say - the SKS is basically as reliable as the Kalashnikov.  The action is actually more insulated from the dirty gas than that of the AK.  The biggest weakness of the SKS over the AK is the trigger system, but that hasn't been much of a problem.  The chromed bore and chamber of the Chinese/Russian type may have an advantage in damp and humid jungle conditions over that of the Yugo, but that is probably not much of an issue for most.
Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it the least.
[Lord Chesterfield]

He who dies with the most 22 LR ammo wins...