Author Topic: Blind hole drilling  (Read 1047 times)

Ledge

• SKS Sniper
    • Maine 3 Gun
Blind hole drilling
« on: September 03, 2006, 09:50:19 PM »
I'm sure everyone that has done a kit build has fretted over drilling the holes for your front and rear trunnions.  Drilling in the wrong location simply sucks.  I personally have implemented the masking tape and pencil method in the past.  While in one of my customers shops the other day, I found a better way.  The answer is a thin piece of lexan.  Thin lexan is easily cut with a utility knife, is quite easy to work, and is very durable.  Simply lay a piece against your trunnion, and cut it to fit.  With it held firmly in place.  Drill out the holes lined up with the rivet holes in your trunnion.  After drilling, line it up on your receiver to mark the correct location to drill your trunnion holes.  My description after a few beers probably sucks, so if I'm unclear, let me know, and I'll take some pictures during this latest build.  Hope this is of help.
Cunning phrase designed to irritate people or make them smile goes here.

buckshotrobert

• SKS Marksman
Blind hole drilling
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 12:43:26 AM »
I use the old receiver pice to drill the new holes  8)

Onepoint

• Administrator
  • SKS Guru
  • نعم أنا كافرة, شكور ل يسأل!
    • Gary's Gun Shop LLC - Torrington WY
Blind hole drilling
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 09:18:20 AM »
I have not had to drill holes in the receivers I used, but I have read the tutorials, lexan would be good, the plumbing strap method looks pretty good too.
"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing them being settled for you." - G.K.Chesterson /   "Reality is that which, when you refuse to believe, or stop believing in it, does not go away."

www.garysgunshopllc.com

7.62x39

• SKS Sniper
    • gunco
Blind hole drilling
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:28:43 AM »
That is a fairly common method, most just use a piece of a two liter soda bottle.

BillyBang

• Global Moderator
  • SKS Guru
Blind hole drilling
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 06:45:51 PM »
I made a tool that I saw on one of the sites linked at the top of the forum.
You can see it in the middle of this pic.
Just a thin peice of steel with a cut off nail soldered into a hole.
It was actually plenty stout for the job.
You just slide the nail inside the trunnion while the receiver is clamped to it.
There's a hole in the strap that lines up with the end of the nail.

{pic no longer available}

BB
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 11:42:58 PM by BillyBang »